WSP asking for rifle sales information

Posted by: Dogfish

WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 12:26 AM

Sounds a bit fishy, but the WSP is asking for sales of ALL AR-15 type rifles since 7-1-2010. Seems they are looking for a stolen rifle. Maybe they'll find Gill Kerlakowski's Glock while they are at it. From the scope of this investigation, one of the top guys probably left his rifle in his unlocked car, again, like the guy who left the full auto MP5 in his unlocked rig a few years ago.

Looks like a warrantless search. If they were looking for a stolen firearm, why wouldn't they just ask for all rifles/lowers originating from sales from private parties instead of ALL AR's? Any idea how many rifles this means and how many firearms dealers there are in WA?

I think I'll call my representative tomorrow. Please, if you have an FFL, call the detective involved to narrow down the search of what they are looking for before you compromise the privacy of your customers.

Thanks.
Posted by: Todd

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 12:34 AM

No need for a warrant if they are just "requesting"...

Fish on...

Todd

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 12:42 AM

I know Todd, but I'm sure you can understand the possible implication of not "complying" with their request. What's it gonna hurt?

Looks like sloppy way to drill down on information for a single stolen rifle. Why wouldn't they ask ATF to check their records for the S/N#?
Posted by: Todd

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 01:02 AM

No idea, and I wasn't offering any commentary on your opinion or thoughts...just that there's no need for a warrant based on that letter, that's all.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 01:48 AM

The letter doesn't really make compliance sound optional. Wonder how that would play out in court if it ever got there.

ATF would only have record of who first purchased the rifle from a given dealer. Wouldn't they?
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Why wouldn't they ask ATF to check their records for the S/N#?

1. Yes, strange that they can't go through ATF....something is weird with that.
2. So, it was one of their weapons that was stolen ?
3. If anyone tried to deal it through legit channels the SN would throw a red flag immediately.
4. The lower was probably discarded and replaced with a "clean" one.
5. I purchased a lower recently, so am I a suspect in this Don Quixote dragnet ?
6. Chances are great that they will not recover it.

If it was a department weapon, they're extremely embarrassed and are trying to pull a rabbit out of their ass at the expense of the law-abiders.

About 6 weeks ago we had a COP officer leave a Glock in a public restroom.
Boner !

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: ColeyG

ATF would only have record of who first purchased the rifle from a given dealer. Wouldn't they?

Sounds like WSP wants to see who has been purchasing AR lowers since 7/1/10, sift through that list and make their own assessment.
Everyone on the list has passed the checks.

I'm not sure if this is legal. At least it doesn't make sense because legit gun sales will detect the bad SN by default.
Then I go back to thinking that they want a list of buyers of single, stripped lowers and sniff around from there.

For those not familiar, an M16 or AR15's serial number is on a part called the "Lower Receiver".
You can acquire a lower either stripped (bare), built (with lower components) or as a complete weapon.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 02:09 AM

To my knowledge, ATF only registers the first transaction involving new firearms, between dealer and purchaser. After that, any sort of registration that happens is purely voluntary and done by whomever is involved in the transaction.

The NCIC tracks "wanted" firearms by serial number, make, model, and caliber...assuming that someone filled out paperwork to request that the stolen firearm be listed as "stolen" in their database.

What is being requested in the letter is the in-house record of sales of the item(s) described, no doubt banking on voluntary compliance in the process.
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 02:56 PM

I haven't received that letter but I know where I'd put it if I did...
Posted by: Irie

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 03:11 PM

Odd that the WSP would be investigating and not a county or muni detective, I think. As far as I was aware, law enforcement doesn't give a rat's ass about stolen property unless the stumble onto it, then it's just a paperwork nightmare tracking down the owners.

And WTF would a list of ALL sales accomplish on a single stolen rifle?

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Irie
Odd that the WSP would be investigating and not a county or muni detective, I think. As far as I was aware, law enforcement doesn't give a rat's ass about stolen property unless the stumble onto it, then it's just a paperwork nightmare tracking down the owners.

And WTF would a list of ALL sales accomplish on a single stolen rifle?

It may have been one of their department's weapons and they're extremely buttsore over it.
I wonder if specific gun dealers received the letter or all FFL's in WA ?

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 03:30 PM

Perhaps WSP is held to lower standard with regards to paperwork and THEIR inventory of THEIR arsenal. THEY should have the serial number and tracking it that way would not be too hard. That letter looks like a fishing trip with way too broad of a scope.

Incidentally if it was lost or stolen and they (the WSP agency) has an FFL they would be required to fill out a lost or stolen firearms report (ATF form 3310.11) within 24hrs.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 04:41 PM

All FFL holders (not including C&R) supposedly received this letter. Spoke to one of our local mfgs/FFL's, and they got their letter.

WSP may have lost more than one item. If anything, the lower/lowers has been scrapped and the important "happy switch" parts were moved to a different host lower after the all important 3rd pin hole was drilled for the auto sear, using the original as a jig.

This is only conjecture, but it would appear that something along these lines has occurred. Still doesn't warrant a fishing expedition and compromising all of the information of legal buyers.

The WSP doesn't have an FFL, to my knowledge, because they use a number of individual FFL's to purchase items from, including a few that I am acquainted with.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 05:18 PM

Guess what came in the mail? I made a few copies to send out the NRA, GOA and a few others.

It appears that the WSP is only looking for the AR-15...there is only make manufacturer that makes THE AR-15.

That takes me out of the equation since I haven't delivered an AR-15 since July 2010.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 05:20 PM

Colt.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 05:23 PM

Armalite.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 05:47 PM

Colt's new catalog lists a rifle called the 1960 AR-15 and says that they introduced the semi-auto prior to the M-16, and uses AR-15 in their description. Although my 1963 smooth sided Colt AR-15 is listed as the model SP-1.

I believe in the matter of being technically correct, you get the nod. Must not be many Armalite AR-15 sold, since they too have changed their desination to M-15.

I thought though that Colt purchased the rights to the AR-15 back in the day, and that Colt holds the trademark. Colt uses a different designation, model numbers, for their rifle now.

Certainly nothing to argue though, since there are many, if any "AR-15" rifles sold these days. wink

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 06:15 PM

Yep....

I wouldn't want to needlessly innundate the WSP with all variations of that rifle if they are only looking for a particular make and model. wink
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 08:02 PM

Here is an interesting link to this story..........

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-se...f-not-consulted

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 08:31 PM

I thought that I smelled "Keystone Cops" when I first heard of this....

So first they "lose" the AR and now they are getting schooled by ATF. rolleyes

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/18/11 11:43 PM

I saw the examiner article already.
Posted by: Krijack

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/22/11 03:24 PM

Always trying to cover their butts. When my 30/30 rifle was stolen they sent me a form in the mail. Scared the snot out me because 2 days after it disappeared a teenager used the same caliber to kill someone a few blocks away. Luckly it appears it wasn't mine.
Posted by: Irie

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information - 03/23/11 08:38 PM

http://www.theolympian.com/2011/03/23/1590416/state-patrols-efforts-to-recover.html

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/01/11 10:16 PM

Looks like they decided to change their tactics.

At least this is a bit more straightforward. I would still not suggest FFL's send in the data. Look for the rifle, check the bound book. "Sorry, no rifle with that serial number sold."

Still a fishing expedition, but a little more straightforward.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 01:39 AM

Still a fishing expedition, but a little more straightforward.

Thanks for posting that.
Now for my fishing expedition, I want to see a list of the dealers that complied.
Posted by: Steve Ericsson

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

Thanks for posting that.
Now for my fishing expedition, I want to see a list of the dealers that complied.

No kidding!! Always good to know who NOT to deal with! Just to be straightforward for anyone reading, I allegedly have never purchased any alleged receivers for any firearm, I supposedly do not own any firearms whatsoever.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 09:52 AM

They have a few persons of interest, based on conversations a few dealers have had with Gundermann, but the State Patrol decides to cast a large net and possibly compromise every AR-15 purchaser from July 1, 2010, and their personal information, instead of drilling down on the suspects.

Once collected, these owners names can become public information, open for anyone to access.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 12:50 PM

I bought an Aero Precision lower (and upper) during that time frame.
Am I going to get a knock on the door ?

SAA did not answer my email of about 2 weeks ago.
I'm going to send off another one and ask if they have complied.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 08:58 PM

SAA did not comply with the request. That I know.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 09:48 PM

I know of another....

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/02/11 09:51 PM

SAA did not comply with the request. That I know.

Glad to hear it.
Thanks.
Posted by: JohnQ

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/08/11 01:10 PM

I was wondering (as I normally do), just what if a few dumbassed FFL'ers actually complied and sent Customer Info to the WaSP "Tackle Box." Just what obligation does WaSP have in protecting that FEDERAL Privacy Data, i.e., compliance with FEDERAL REGULATIONS per FEDERAL LAW?????? Then what is WaSP's plan to destroy the errant data should they ever "Close The Case", which I highly doubt thier ability to accomplish? Then remembering a very recent cluster F ck in Illinois where the Chief Law Enforcement Officer there (States Attorney General) decides and releases everybody's name, rank, and Horsepower who have Concealed Weapons Permits because his Party Has an Anti-Second Amendment Agenda. Then seeing Generalissimo Christine's latest and greatest "View" of her right to executive NON-EXISTENT privilege of Washingtoons Freedom of Information Law. Is any of this WaSP Fishing Expedition Data accessible under Washingtoons FOIA????? Or is it exempt???? I think that WaSP's demonstrated Keystone Cops inability to keep track of an EBR (Evil Black Rifle) doesn't inspire any confidence in their ability to protect/safe Citizen Data. My advise to WaSP Command Chain, re-assign the Glass Ceiling Diverse Detective to Parking Ticket Patrol because she Obviously doesn't know squat about LAW, destroy all information that was collected, and apologize Openly to Citizens for their inappropriate and possibly illegal activities. If Chrissy is serious at all regarding Budget Cuts, I sure hope she looks at this Keystone Kops Cluster F ck.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/08/11 03:12 PM

Pretty much my feelings on the subject. I'll be meeting with her Monday when the suppressor legislation is signed. I'll give her your regards after the ink is dry.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/08/11 03:29 PM

DF, I had an email into SAA before you mentioned that they did not comply.
Anyway, they finally answered a couple of days ago and echoed what you had posted.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/08/11 03:34 PM

I have good sources.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/11/11 03:17 PM

Pretty much my feelings on the subject. I'll be meeting with her Monday when the suppressor legislation is signed. I'll give her your regards after the ink is dry.

Ink Dry & does she want a "Date" with me??? rofl

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/11/11 07:34 PM

The ink is dry, as of about 2:30pm today. She's shorter than I thought she was. She asked for your party affiliation.

Re: WSP asking for rifle sales information- UPDATE - 04/11/11 08:32 PM

The ink is dry, as of about 2:30pm today. She's shorter than I thought she was. She asked for your party affiliation.

laugh Budweiser Naturally!!!! rofl