Where to shoot

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Where to shoot - 09/02/11 10:06 AM

My grandson is getting interested in hunting now that "his" dog has shown an interest in same. Any suggestins on where we can go to shoot the 20 gauge I plan to give him? Not clays - he's not ready for that yet. Just tin cans & stuff.

Is it legal to shoot targets at the public hunting areas?
Posted by: Dub

Re: Where to shoot - 09/02/11 09:10 PM

http://www.everettsportsmenclub.org/

A drive for you but they have a trap thrower included in the price of the range. Bring your own shells and clay birds and load it yourself. I don't see a youth price though. I bet it's not too busy at noon on a Friday or a Monday.

I do know the national forest up past Granite Falls is shut down to shooting. I assume it is that way all along this side.
Posted by: Dub

Re: Where to shoot - 09/02/11 09:14 PM

Sorry I thought you meant "sporting clays" not moving thrown targets untill I reread your post.

Re: Where to shoot - 09/03/11 11:09 AM

Sooo, I called WDFW Region 4 they advised that it is NOT legal to target practice at the public hunting sites. They also mentioned it is not allowed on DNR or Forest Service land. When I asked where one COULD go have grandson shoot a few cans off logs with a shotgun she said she had no idea. 2Many I may be travelling south to take you up on your offer.

Re: Where to shoot - 09/03/11 12:05 PM

Deal. We need to meet anyway. Maybe weekend of 17-18?
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Where to shoot - 09/03/11 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
They also mentioned it is not allowed on DNR or Forest Service land.
news to me. guess capitol forest is a no-shooting zone now? wink i think they didn't know what they're talking about.

Re: Where to shoot - 09/03/11 04:42 PM

I just called the Snoqualmie National Forrest ranger and was told they have a shooting area at Jack's Pass. Now I need to find out WTF Jack's pass is.
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: Where to shoot - 09/05/11 10:29 PM

Jacks Pass is about 15 miles out of Index, since the road is closed you have to go to Skykomish and take the Beckler river road.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Where to shoot - 09/05/11 11:39 PM

I have a few spots near me Dave. Just need to what you want to shoot, how far, etc.

Re: Where to shoot - 09/06/11 01:19 AM

Looking to have my grandson shoot a shotgun for first tme. I plan to have him just shoot immovable objects for his frist expirence. His dad has no outdoor skills or interest. His mom and dad just got divorced, which leaves me to be a father figure - a job I relish - as I never had a son. He's waaaaay behind where he wuld be if he were my son but he's eager and willing to learn so . . .

Thanks for the offer. He would be at your kids shootout for sure if I were in town that week.
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: Where to shoot - 09/06/11 01:34 AM

Just go to the top of Tinkham Rd. If you clean up your shells, when you're finished, shouldn't have any problems with the sheriff...

Re: Where to shoot - 09/06/11 05:17 PM

Thanks Red, but he's a really big 11 year old and its a 20 gauge. I think he will be fine that way.
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: Where to shoot - 09/06/11 10:07 PM

Thanks Red, but he's a really big 11 year old and its a 20 gauge. I think he will be fine that way.

Don't assume a 20ga will have less recoil than a 12.

20s are usually smaller,and that means lighter. Lighter guns can have some stout recoil.

I'd rather shoot my 12ga 870 than my buddies 20ga 870
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Where to shoot - 09/07/11 05:32 PM

Dave,

I live up in the cedar river water shed area (Hobart) and we fire'em when we want.I had my 14 year old daughter sitting in her riffle this past 4th of july and had a blast.Dave you and your grandson are welcome up in this neck of the woods to fire'em off if would like.Bring tye with you if ya come.Good luck,
SZ

Re: Where to shoot - 09/08/11 11:29 AM

We found an abandoned gravel pit in the Mt Baker Snoqualmie Forest. He shot the 20 about six times. Redd was right it does kick harder than my 12. Anyway we destroyed a few zucchini, learned how patterns spread at range and had a great time. Afterwards he said, "Grandpa, I thought it would be fun, but it was way more fun than I expected."
Posted by: stonefish

Re: Where to shoot - 09/08/11 06:07 PM

which leaves me to be a father figure - a job I relish - as I never had a son. He's waaaaay behind where he wuld be if he were my son but he's eager and willing to learn so

Great stuff right there. thumbs
Posted by: JTD

Re: Where to shoot - 09/08/11 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: stonefish
which leaves me to be a father figure - a job I relish - as I never had a son. He's waaaaay behind where he wuld be if he were my son but he's eager and willing to learn so

Great stuff right there. thumbs

It seems we are all on the same page... pun intended.

smile