hootchie mamma call...

Posted by: big moby

hootchie mamma call... - 09/03/11 11:32 AM

My hunting buddy has one. I personly think they are too load and it does not appear you can control the volume. what do you guys think about the hand held cow calls? just wondering
Posted by: stlhdr42

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/03/11 09:08 PM

They sound goofy to me but mine has fooled a few elk. The cowgirl is my favorite. I have heard plenty of nasty sounding calls in the woods that I swore were hunters that turned out to be elk.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/03/11 10:21 PM

Forget about the squeeze type cow calls, they sound horrible and nothing like an actual elk... They are blatantly obvious when you hear one in the woods.

It's pretty simple, when hunting you are in their house and you better speak their language... A hootchie mama can work but for the pressured elk, they're worthless...

Spend a year or two learning a mouth reed, it will pay dividends...

Keith

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/05/11 05:46 PM

I have screwed around with reeds before but need to give it some serious practice time.
Posted by: Salmonella

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/06/11 08:16 AM

Originally Posted By: stlhdr1
Forget about the squeeze type cow calls, they sound horrible and nothing like an actual elk... They are blatantly obvious when you hear one in the woods.

It's pretty simple, when hunting you are in their house and you better speak their language... A hootchie mama can work but for the pressured elk, they're worthless...

Spend a year or two learning a mouth reed, it will pay dividends...

Keith

+1

Elk wise up to them immediately and will run for their lives in the opposite direction in most public areas.

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/10/11 11:48 AM

those are the hootchie mamma's I would squeeze as well rofl
Posted by: stlhdr42

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/10/11 09:17 PM

As goofy as they do sound an elk was killed in our camp thanks to a hootchie call in a fairly pressured area where a lot of guys were walking around bugling and blowing cow calls. They can work for the guys who can't operate a reed or blow type call.

Re: hootchie mamma call... - 09/11/11 01:05 PM

nice work!