Scope base?

Posted by: RogueFanatic

Scope base? - 11/15/11 01:51 PM

I recently got a new, stainless Howa 1500 in .30-06. The rifle accepts Remington 700 scope bases but when I searched, I saw 2 different varieties. I can use a 2-piece design that sits on the receiver on either side of the bolt, or I can get a 1 piece design that incorporates a rail between the two mounting points.

Is there any upside to one versus the other? I can imagine the 1 piece being more rigid and less likely to wiggle under shooting but I can also see that the 1 piece might make loading a bit more difficult since I would have to put the cartridges in a little off to the side to avoid the scope rail. The Howa has a trapdoor magazine so no worries on getting cartridges out. Anybody have experience with this gun and mount system?????
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: Scope base? - 11/15/11 03:25 PM

Unless you feel the need to pack extra weight,get two pieces mounts.

Talley Lightweights.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Scope base? - 11/15/11 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SundayMoney
Talley Lightweights.

+1
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Scope base? - 11/15/11 08:26 PM

I third the vote on Talley LW.

A one piece Leupold style base is inherently more rigid therefore, stronger than a 2 piece. A 2 piece base will serve you fine and makes accessing the loading port a little easier.

Howa makes a fine rifle and accuracy never seems to be a problem with them. They also make the Weatherby Vanguard series of rifles.

Good luck.
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: Scope base? - 11/15/11 08:52 PM

My little custom rifle business got off the ground making custom scope mounting assemblies for hunters and target competitors on my CNC. I still have a bunch a stuff that might make you happy in a few different mounting heights. 1.0 dia. tubes and 30mm also.

Might not be as cheap as the others but I will garuntee that they will last a life time of rugged abuse.

Should have posted some pictures...Hope these appear.

Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Scope base? - 11/15/11 09:36 PM

Black Bart comes highly recommended from serious shooters I know.

I don't see an offering there for an Enfield 2A? wink
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Scope base? - 11/15/11 09:48 PM

I like those a lot Black Bart!

Do you have a website? I'd be interested in seeing more.
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: Scope base? - 11/16/11 02:06 PM

Andy... Only worked on one Enfield in my time gunsmithing. Cut the ears off the rear sight and then mounted a BAR sight in it's place.

Sorry guys, no website. I stayed plenty busy when I was working doing gun stuff simply by word of mouth referals.