Escapee caught!

Posted by: Dogfish

Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 12:21 AM

Last fall I had a number of pheasants escaped before the kids hunting event we ran. Cedar had alerted a number of times in this one area over the past few months as we walked the property, but I thought nothing of it.

This morning I head outside and there is a spare rooster pheasnt hanging out by one of the pens. Check my pens and sure enough, everybody is home. After a few hours of cat & mouse, and a well placed dog kennel, he is back home.

You can't see the band in the pic, but it is there on the far leg.
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 01:00 AM

That's cool right there. Sweet !

Kinda like a hatchery brat returning home after seeing what the outside world has to offer. If he only knew what the future may offer.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 01:16 AM

Not armed, not dangerous, but glad he's back where he belongs. I'm sure you'll put him to good use.... wink

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 01:29 AM

He got a hen of his own.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 02:14 PM

Nice lookin' fellow. If you eventually have trouble finding a use for his feathers, I know someone who can help....
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
He got a hen of his own.

smile

Played pheasant pimp for a wild rooster that hung about our place. He liked to crow at 5 am, non-stop, so.... One spring, I bought him a half dozen hens from a state game farm. He shut up, and we saw the hens with chicks that first year. Sadly, raptors and racoons cleaned 'em out. Have planted a couple hundred shrubs hither and yon to encourage Phase II a few years hence....
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 03:45 PM

Very cool Andy!

We have a rooster and two hens that like to forage around the grass we feed the horses looking for any leftovers, hope to see a good crew of chicks later this spring.....hope it warms up and dries before they are hatched eek

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/12/12 04:39 PM

I have a few matched sets of turkey wing feathers. Propbably 30 feathers in each set, separated right & left. Apparently fly tiers like them. Let me know if you want a set or two.

As far his cape, well, there may be some availabale come September.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: Escapee caught! - 03/14/12 06:19 AM

Save me a rump Andy
I likes me a nice rump