looking for a youth .410 bore

Posted by: landcruiserwilly

looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/03/12 06:17 PM

i'm looking for a youth shotgun for lindsey. i looked at the rossi, and for $100 it might work, though the build quality is not great. basically, she needs something that will fit her. she's on the small side, and not terribly tough. she has shot one of dogfish's kids' 20 ga, and it knocked her around pretty good, as much of a fit issue as recoil. i think a decent single shot .410 would be a good place to start. i haven' posted in the classifieds yet, as i'd like to hear opinions.

let me know what you think

thanks,
willy
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/04/12 01:49 PM

We have that one she used last year, the H&R Tamer. Light, stainless, and it works well. If you want to borrow it for a day at the range, you are welcome to give it a try.

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/tamer.asp

The boys have killed lots of grouse with it.

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/04/12 06:47 PM

thanks to both of you for your kind offers. i'm likely to take you up on them in the not too distant future. i agree about the success factor in hitting moving targets, and the inherent inability to do so with the 'ol 410. my concern with the fixed breech 20 ga is that the recoil will be a bit much for her to handle this year. maybe if i found one that fit her perfectly? dunno. i don't reload, so factory ammo would the stuff she'd be shooting. we'd probably use it as a grouse gun and for hunting the pheasant release areas around here. i do agree that confidence goes a long way in sustaining interest, so i'm a bit torn. she also complains that the guns she's handled were "heavy", so that's a concern as well. we can't hunt if i have to carry 2 guns! kenmore range has kid's lessons from time to time, and i'm looking into that as well. they have loaner guns for her to try. thanks again.

willy
Posted by: GEAR MONGER 2

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/05/12 04:52 PM

Great info. I can't add much except repeating whats been said. I chose a 20 for my son. A .410 really is a experts gun. I have felt the same way about .243's and young shooters. Which is why I started my son out with a .308. 20 years later. He still shoots the same gun. You might find out when your daughter shoots at game. Recoil might not be a issue. The excitement will probably take over. I could be wrong but your daughter might want to carry her gun. If you end up packing it. She might not be ready. I envy you getting your kids fired up on hunting. Brings back so many great memories. Your going to have a blast!
A youth model 870 is a fairly light gun. At 8 my son packed it around fairly well, and he was a small kid. I'm not too sure what your plans are, but with a 20 your daughter will be ready for geese, and turkey, and have slug options for deer. Just a thought.
Posted by: larryb

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/05/12 04:59 PM

try one of these Rossi Matched Pair Youth .22 & 20 gauge 22

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=280568965

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/05/12 08:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Gear, I definately want her to pack the gun, and I don't want her to flake a half mile from the truck. Then we're walking, not hunting. I looked at the Rossi combos, but I already have a 10/22 cut down for her. She's a very good shot with the air rifle, too. Light guns= more recoil. That's my main concern with the 20, though the pink light loads might be appropriate. We'll just have to try it.

Thanks!

Willy
Posted by: Achewter

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/06/12 02:37 AM

hey bud
3 20 autos for her to try here and the one you picked up for Alie has a short lop, is light and kicks like a butterfly. I just got her a sweet 20 870 wing master she really likes. Lets take the kids out.

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/06/12 07:28 PM

Sounds great! Are you around this weekend? If so, I'll give you a call.

Thanks!
Posted by: Achewter

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/06/12 07:52 PM

Left the cell at home should have it after 7pm.
Should be around around unless weather forces me to splash the boat with the kids somewhere.

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/06/12 08:23 PM

Sounds good. I'll call you later.

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/12/12 12:27 PM

there is a nice 20 youth for sale on ifish

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/12/12 12:48 PM

i just looked, and can't find it. can you post the link?

thanks,
willy

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/12/12 12:52 PM

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=403467

Winchester 1300 youth 20 gauge pump for sale.
2-3/4 or 3" shells
22" barrel with full, mod, IC chokes
Graco adjustable comb and Easy Hit fiberoptic sight
Aftermarket Limbsaver recoil pad
2 boxes of 3" Hevi Shot #6
1 box 3" Hevi Shot #4
1-1/2 boxes 2-3/4" #2 steel shot
Normal wear, some minor scratches

Re: looking for a youth .410 bore - 04/13/12 11:04 PM

Thanks, Larry. That is a really nice gun. It will probably gone by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger, but I'll keep an eye on it