Savage M99 value?

Posted by: Dogfish

Savage M99 value? - 06/09/12 10:08 PM

Value of a fuxored Savage 99?
Relative passed away a few months back and his wife is selling his guns. The one I'm interested in is a Savage 99. Always wanted one. Issues are that the stock was cut shorter and the barrel was shortened. Not sure how short but I will measure so I don't buy an unregistered SBR by error. Would need a new stock, plus the barrel would have to be recrowned. I could have it threaded at the same time for my suppressor.

Thoughts on value for essentially a barreled action for a Savage model 99? Caliber is .30-30
Posted by: j 7

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/09/12 11:46 PM

Have no clue on the value but if you can get it cheap sounds like a good candidate for a wildcat improvement like 30-30 Ackley Improved.
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/10/12 01:46 AM

the m99s i've seen usually seem to be for sale for around $200-500 in working order, with the older "1899" rifles being more valuable.

could be a fun rifle to load some spitzer bullets for due to the rotary magazine.

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/14/12 11:57 AM

Picked it up. $150. It is a take-down model in .30-30. SN# says it was made in 1925. Barrel is stock, 20". She had said it was cut down, but the crown is intact and the integral front sight, not a bolt on, but built up metal, is still there.

Butt stock is in poor shape, having been cut off and poorly refinished.

Bluing is 90% gone. Only remaining blue is under the hand guard. Cycles well, ammo feeds into the box mag, and it is light and very well balanced.

I'll probably look at a replacement stock and fore-arm, do a nice oil finish on them if they come in raw, and call it a shooter.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/14/12 12:36 PM

No idea of value but I saw a really nice one in great condition for $550 recently. I have always wanted one too and that looks like a great project.

Nice find.

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/14/12 12:56 PM

Bore is bright and shiny.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/14/12 01:59 PM

Tipped over my first deer with an ancient 99 in 300 Savage and topped with a Weaver K4.

Nice addition, Andy. One that will likely lend itself favorably to the making of more memories....
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/14/12 01:59 PM

With the aftermarket pad I'd put the value around $450-500. Typically accurate and a very cool, nostalgic rifle.

Nice find Dogfish.
Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/16/12 11:47 AM

Andy, I saw 2 at cabelas in tulalip yesterday. A beater for $550 and a nice example for $700

Willy
Posted by: Twitch

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/16/12 05:24 PM

Andy, that is a spot on match to my great grandfathers favorite rifle, "Old meat in the pot".

I remember looking at it at the top of the gun rack at my grandfathers house, with him telling stories of how 'dad' got this and that with it... GG-pa was a south paw, and wiht the early market dominated by right handed options, the ol' Savage worked just fine for him.

My goal is to knock down a deer or two with it, so that 4 generations will have hunted with the same rifle.
Posted by: lazydrifter

Re: Savage M99 value? - 06/20/12 06:13 PM

I'd go on www.24hourcampfire.com and go to the Savage forum. They can tell you everything you want to know about it.
Posted by: Eric

Re: Savage M99 value? - 08/04/12 10:02 PM

Same rifle Dad had me cut my teeth on when I started deer hunting as a youngster.

Considering it's history and condition, seems like you did OK on the buying price.