Steel shot compatability question

Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Steel shot compatability question - 07/14/12 06:22 PM

I just picked up a nice Stevens 311a sxs .410 for Lindsey. I assume that its choked full/full, but no marking on the barrel. There's no indication that steel would not be ok, but I am planning on using this gun at release sites and lead is a no-no. The date code puts manufacture in 1963, and the gun is in very good shape. Can I shoot steel loads?

Thanks
Willy
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/14/12 10:18 PM

Based on the above provided information, I would not recommend it.

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/14/12 10:32 PM

i wouldnt recommend it or do it....

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/15/12 12:08 AM

Yes. I've done a bit of research and Ive decided that it's not a good idea. I'll look for other non-tox alternatives. That stuff is expensive! Particularly in .410.
Thanks for the replies.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/15/12 12:10 AM

Bismuth or hevishot.
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/15/12 01:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish
Bismuth or hevishot.
+1. if it's for a kid, a .410 is enough of a handicap, much less having to shoot steel through one.

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/15/12 02:24 PM

just ordered 3 boxes of #6 bismuth from HSM. for those interested, they are having a "buy 2 get 1 free" on bismuth shells:
https://store.thehuntingshack.com/

as for the .410 handicap-- I know. i've tried to get her to shoot the 20ga on several occasions, but the recoil is just too uncomfortable for her right now. I just want to get her out in the field and enjoy the game of it with the dogs. if she's able to down a bird or two, all the better.

willy

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/15/12 02:34 PM

what shells are you shooting in the 20 gauge that she is uncomfortable with willy? how old is she, how big?

Re: Steel shot compatability question - 07/15/12 08:31 PM

She's 10. About 4'6" 85#. She's tried an 870 and 2 autos, with reduced recoil loads. I just dont want to scare her off. She loves the .22, and killed a Phez with a 410 last year (hand tossed). I just want her to get out there.