for the hunting dogs...

Posted by: landcruiserwilly

for the hunting dogs... - 07/25/12 02:20 PM

hypoglycemia in hunting dogs:

http://wenaha.blogspot.com/2010/04/hunting-dog-hypoglycemia.html

I think that this issue is especially important for those of us who hunt labs. Due to the possiblity of bloat (gastric torsion), i never feed my dogs the morning of a hunt. I have a bottle of 50% glucose solution i keep in the dog first aid kit for severe emergencies. I work at a local biotech company, and during a lab cleanup, came across a box of 5% dextrose (glucose) solution in individual 250mL i.v. bags which are expiring in september and will be discarded. I plan on carring at least one of these in my vest this fall to periodically feed the dogs during the day by supplimenting their drinking water, rather than giving them food. i have at least 2 dozen of these bags. if anyone would like a few to carry, throw in the truck, or keep on hand, let me know. i'm going to take the whole box home. the bags are sterile, and enclosed in an outer bag to prevent punctures. i've been assured that the expiration won't have any effect on the quality of the material for several years (it's meant for injection in humans). just let me know and i can provide some to you or hold some for you until we can meet up.

Bill
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/25/12 03:16 PM

Would like a few.

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/25/12 03:41 PM

gotcha. i'll pass them along when i see you in september, but if you want them sooner let me know.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/25/12 05:16 PM

I would like a few. We can meet at Cherry Valley to get er done.

How's the "new" dog working out. PM me if you want to do a pheasant trip to cook Canyon.

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/25/12 06:30 PM

will do. it's about that time of year, isn't it?? mack is great! i love having 2 dogs. much more entertaining (snicker.....)

cooke sounds good, i was just thinking about getting out on some birds. i'll let you know

willy
Posted by: seastrike

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/25/12 11:31 PM

I'll take a few Bill!

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/26/12 03:35 AM

If you guys are headed to Cook Canyon, let me know. Cedar is green, but he could use some time on birds, and I could use a few fresh hens if they would sell a few.

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/26/12 03:35 AM

Double tap.
Posted by: Achewter

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/26/12 04:33 AM

I wanna go

Headed back to Neah this afternoon with an open seat if any of ya are interested.
You have my number.

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/26/12 09:50 AM

Andy

They are closed until August. PM me some dates you can do in September and we will do it.

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/26/12 05:15 PM

i wanna go too! labor day weekend might be a possibility? it's hot as hell over there right now, high 90s. there's a guy up near sedro wooley that does hunts also. i'll check to see if he has birds yet. i hunted with him last labor day, and the birds he had were pretty small, but he gave us a good deal and the dogs had a blast.

bill

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/26/12 06:23 PM

I have hunted the Sedro Wooley place as well. He is kind of strange duck, in a good way. I would be willing to go back. Not sure I can do labor day wekend so I need to check my calendar first.

Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/27/12 06:29 PM

If you guys do the Sedro thing, please let me know. I'd love to have Boris check out the scene.
Posted by: Ikissmykiss

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/27/12 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Vedder
not sure I can do labor day wekend so I need to check my calendar first.

No, you can't...I already have you booked for that weekend. smile

Ike

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/28/12 12:11 AM

Oh, that's right. I knew the dates - didn't realize it was Labor day. looking forward to scaring the hell outta bunch of white birds of peace. Do they all have an olive branch in their beaks? Does that make them easier to hit?

Tye has an awesome fall and winter coming. First he gets to be part of a two dog team that will get 25 birds at Cook Canyon on the 26 th. Then off to scare doves labor Day. In mid September we hunt sage hens in Montana for three days, then back here to the old farts public hunt, then to Oregon for a cast and blast on the John Day. Add in a few Pasco area duck hunts and the six weeks we plan to spend in Arizona this winter scaring quail. I guess we will see if this dog can hunt.
Posted by: Ikissmykiss

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/28/12 01:34 AM

Technically you could work both hunts into your busy hunting schedule....Dove and Grouse open on Sat. Sept 1. The dove "hunting" (honestly, it's more just killing) is really only good the first day and maybe the second...but it's really good practice for the upland season. They are very fast flyers, challenging and hard to hit. Looking forward to it and we'll firm up the details here soon..

Ike
Posted by: Achewter

Re: for the hunting dogs... - 07/30/12 04:28 AM

Take a bunch of water for that dove hunt.