Over and Under or Side by Side the best?

Posted by: willcfish

Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/24/12 01:49 PM

Many people are using Double Barrels these days. What are your thoughts on them and differences between the two?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LxU7i_GVeQ
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:22 AM

If your gonna be hunting upland birds, over under
Hands down

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:24 AM

If its not your primary gun a decent autoloader would be
Better

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:25 AM

That 3 rd shell can be a game changer
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 11:06 AM

I don't know why, and maybe it all comes down to personal choice, but I have a side-by-side for waterfowl. Maybe because it is "classic".

My take is that it will come down to how the feels, fits, and probably something in each of our DNA.

Now, for upland hunting, including deer, I'll go for a pump. But, I have never shot an autoloader. I do have two I inherited and might be interested in using the Remington that is of the old Browning design. For pheasants, quail, and doves I seemed to need the third shot but two seems to work well on waterfowl.

There was one particulalry stupid dove that took six shots.
Posted by: JTD

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:12 PM

A narrower sight plane makes leading horizontally moving targets easier- a more common target presentation for our side of the pond.

Shooting driven birds overhead is a different ball game.

I suspect you will rephrase the same exact question in a month or so and this answer is pointless and irrelevant.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:44 PM

I suspect you will rephrase the same exact question in a month or so and this answer is pointless and irrelevant.

Damn, JTD........that's a classic!
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:45 PM

Damn, JTD........that's a classic!

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 01:52 PM

... Pointless... Get it?

I should have added a lawn mower video

smile

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 02:36 PM

This guy may not agree but opinions are like...

Ahh well.. You know.

http://www.chrisbatha.com/
Posted by: larryb

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 02:46 PM

a shotgun that fits you is the best

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/25/12 02:50 PM

It is an old and pointless conundrum which I suspect is why Wille-Whats-His-Face poised the question.
Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/26/12 01:19 PM

an o/u is great when you know from whence the target is coming, ala skeet and trap. sxs for when you don't, ala upland birds and grouse. fit and natural point is the most important factor when considering shotgun configurations.

willy
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/26/12 02:08 PM

Blonde, brunette, redhead.

Love them all.....
Posted by: snit

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/26/12 11:52 PM

I always liked to kill 3 critters with 3 shots. Most SxS have too much drop on the stock for the average shooter (IMO). Except for wild pheasants, the average flock of "upland birds" presents many willing participants...therefore try to tripple...the birds are taking the chance!
Posted by: RowVsWade

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 11/27/12 12:16 AM

For me it doesn't matter. I like the balance of an O/U, the classic beauty of a SXS and the ease of an Autoloader but at the end of the day I never knock sh.it down on the 3rd shot (more of a F you shot) and I always 'pump' my O/U or SXS...which makes it a single shot or a well balanced 'F you' classic beauty.

Good luck.
Posted by: Ward

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 12/06/12 05:38 PM

I grew up using side by sides and, every now and then, my dad's Model 12 pump. I developed a preference for SXS shotguns that is just that, a preference, and not a rational choice.

Anyone who has the chance should spend a day in Sequim at Sunnydell Shooting Grounds. It is sad we've lost Chuck Dryke but his son, Matt, is still there coaching shooters. Chuck used to say his job was to get you to 98% and stuff like choke, gun type and fit were for the last 2%. My last time there with Chuck Dryke for a tune-up was a day I'll never forget and he sure did the job of making me better with a shotgun. Heck, he had me shooting enough in one day to get the barrels of my SXS hot.

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 12/06/12 06:35 PM

I'll cast a second vote for Sunnydell. Fantastic clays venue.

My son was twelve and Matt spend half a day giving him private instruction for free. Imagine- an Olympic Gold Medalist offering free instruction to a kid.

I was sorry to hear about Chuck also. Such a great guy.
Posted by: sodfarmer

Re: Over and Under or Side by Side the best? - 12/10/12 04:08 PM

I have been hunting for 35 years , I have tried alot of different guns but always go back to my 870's . A expensive gun will not make you shoot better But a gun that fit's you ,will . Go to a gun shop find one point in that store and start seeing which gun fits and then go practice.