I think I'm ready for coyotes.

Posted by: Dogfish

I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/21/13 08:54 PM

Gloomy day in McCleary. Didn't want to sit in the house, so I grabbed 6 rifles, my target stand, and a few other items and headed out to sight things in.

Set up at 100 yards. Fired three rounds from my match grade AR, 55gr Nosler ballistic tips I got from Fishhead5 that I hand loaded.

Adjusted the sights as I didn't want to shoot low.

Just to show you the scale, I put my caliper on the group.

Two "one-ish" hole 3 shot groups, 0.585" apart.

Found the sun, too!

Once I got up above the clouds it was an awesome sunny day. Not quite t-shirt weather, but I was comfortable in a sweatshirt.

Watch out yotes. It's calving season, and someone is ready.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/21/13 09:50 PM

Nice shooting DF.
Mr. Yote would do well to avoid your place.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 12:10 PM

Free hand and iron sights?

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 02:05 PM

Old card table and a pile of old towels for my shooting bench, and a folding chair. Not a rock solid platform, but it gets the job done for sighting in.

Nowhere near that good offhand, but I can tip over a running deer or elk with my other rifles.
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 02:58 PM

Andy, I don't think you will see 2 many other people hunting coyotes in the central Columbia Basin this year. It's just that not 2 many people get the offer & opportunity.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 05:27 PM

Kind offer. Rounding folks up as I type. Just picked up my latest stamp.

It goes on this.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 05:47 PM

Mission orders for Harbor Seal Team Six. Operation Crab Creek Coyotes... Go call them in to within 100 meters or closer and kill them, dead in their tracks. Shoot the quiet 10-22 around the campfire. Then for kicks, throw a box af .22's into fire and see who bolts first. The land is just tooooo big for a .22 L.R to be effective.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 06:42 PM

Red, rabbit squeal calls can work really well too.. im obviously not one to tell any of you how to hunt, but some advice, when calling Coyotes, pay attention... they will be right on top of you before you know it...

i used to thump Coyotes for farmers near Vantage and Frenchman Hills that were killing their livestock and such, they in return would let my buddy hunt pheasants on their corn field areas... the Remy 700 dispatched them quickly, but kinda brutal with the 7mm Rem Mag with Barnes 150 grain TSX HPs... some times i would shoot fac Remington Core Lokt rounds, but my buddys reload skills were good, so we just went with the Barnes TSX's, not sure what powder he used, but it worked, and extremely well...

eventually i stopped doing it, i just didnt enjoy killing something for nothing, and havent shot an animal since...

nice shooting DF, makes me miss my AR even more...

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 06:45 PM

RD...I was really into hunting coyotes for two decades. Thus all of the old land owner contacts that I have.

Back then all we had was some funky battery operated cassette player that sucked big time when it was windy. Now days they have all kinda remote calls and speakers with a thousand different AID (animall in distress) calls at the touch of your finger. It seems sort unfair. Dang, a wireless to your remote speaker and a robo rabbit pulsing around like the batt powered robo wings the waterfowl guys use? Those poor devils don't stand a chance.

Back then, this time of year was always the best. A canine puppies yelping call or some poor other critter in distress would work. Do not over use a call if it is not showing resullts. Move around, be stealty as you can because the coyotes are not stupid. Look for cows this time of year. Contact the guys who are tending the cows and ask about permission to hunt.

Stay back with your vehicle from the area you want to call int. Now walk into your calling area, preferably on the rimrock of a vast canyon. Once there, sit down and listen for the birds and whatever else is around to settle down and start chirping again.....Then turn on your predator call. If you see them coming, remain still as they will try to wind you. Let them get close. The look in their eyes as they turn from predator to prey can be seen up close as you flick the safety forward on your rifle...Point is....let them get close before you give away you position.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 07:39 PM

Who say technology is a bad thing? Not me when it comes to varmints.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 08:01 PM

I have mouth calls and an old 2 deck boombox I hot wired. 100 yards of 2 strand wire, and a megaphone speaker. Set the call about 30-40 yards down and to the side. Wait.

We also have at least one shotgun ready. Bringing the 10ga with Hevishot. Whump, yip.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 08:14 PM

I've found it's sometimes hard to keep from gigglin' with all the various sounds effects going off.

smile

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Siwwey wabbit...............

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 09:02 PM

Geebuzz...a ten gauge shotgun...Not like I ever had one..ok, two... just never used one of them on winter coyotes.

Andy, I'd say that if Harbor Seal Team Six can get Art to tag along, keping all the ATV's gased up and ready, then you should really consider having an eye doctor in the field just in case you happen put your eye out with that thing.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 11:12 PM

A tightly choked 10ga at 10 yards really messes up anything.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/22/13 11:49 PM

Here's a recent account of a guy's first called-in cougar from the other site.
" Randy says at this time the cougar uses some type of cougar lingo. I don't remember cause I am shaking so bad..."
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=439602&
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/23/13 12:17 AM

I sadly sold my song dog swatter....

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/23/13 01:23 AM

Anything from a .22LR or .17 HMR on up is a swatter. Don't expect much hide on a yote hit with a .300 win mag and a 150g ballistic tip.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/23/13 01:39 AM

there was a TON of damage with my 7mm.. especially in the 300 yard range, longest was 712 lasered after a 600+ yard miss, and it blew the top of its skull off... the 100 yard range was just blow through, massive damage but not near as much as at 2-300 yards, it honestly grossed me out, and is one of the main reasons i quit doing it... it wasnt "hunting" tho, as the other animals are almost bait, even caged.... stupid dogs would come in broad daylight, and most of em didnt even hear the crack...

except that one... i missed him the first shot, and he bolted away and at an angle, then it stopped, and looked at me... dead at me... and i whapped it, and that was the last one... i can still remember looking down the scope and its fvckin wierd...

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/23/13 11:15 AM

Predator control is about one thing, killing. There is no worrying about saving meat, just put the animal down as quick as possible, and don't miss and end up educating a coyote.
Posted by: snit

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/23/13 08:12 PM

Saw several on my round trip to Spoke-aloo today. Breeding season is close...

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/23/13 08:22 PM

Hey Snit.... Did you and your pals lease the Crab Creek Ranch a mile down Solebeck Rd. back around 2000 or were you the guys over on the ground west of Corfu Rd. ?

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/24/13 09:06 PM

BB...We were on Corfu. I bailed after 3 years...couple of guys kept in it.

Kushi's place to the south on Crab Creek sucked the majority of the ducks. Flooded corn was hard to compete against............
Posted by: Achewter

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/25/13 02:36 AM

added a 22-250 to the safe tonight. Hehehe

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/25/13 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Achewter
added a 22-250 to the safe tonight. Hehehe

We have one of those available to us. I think it weighs in at about 18lbs. Fun watching the bullet hole appear on the target through the scope. It is that stable.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/25/13 01:05 PM

Snit... I met Jay Kuchie in 1983. What a character. Made tons of money fishing in Alaska. The guy was a duck shooting machine. I do believe he now owns Eagle Laks also. The guy was a maistro with a duck call. I've seen birds cup for him from a mile away just to settle into a barage of airborn pellets. Sweet!

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/25/13 02:04 PM

I too knew Jay. Man could he party!! Had a gorgeous place out on the bay by Mt Vernon. He was loaded with cash and wanted to kill every duck that was alive. I believe he was a Bristol Bay fisherman. I heard he got the cancer and passed a few years ago.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/25/13 03:04 PM

Oh boy, that's sad news. We had some great times together.

Old age, it aint for wimps.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/26/13 09:37 PM

I don't know if I can be decent on this subject.....but I'll try.

I'm not against killing coyotes if there is a real reason to do so. Not an imaginary reason or the age-old "it's not illegal" argument. I'm talking about a situation where there are not opportunities available to teach coyotes to stay away from an area. Old ranchers used to shoot coyotes....with reason. But they did more than that...they hung the carcasses on the fence to warn other coyotes. This proved effective and didn't interfere often with the farmer's regular duties. Rifles then were more tools of the trade back then and were only modestly accurate, so a kill shot was necessary for lasting effect.
Today's nail-drivers could easily teach coyotes all they need to know by piecing an ear or breaking a tail. The non fatal contact could then be "taught" to others, who would then avoid that area. Removing a useful animal, likely feeding young deserves little applause in my book. "Nice shot" is the best you'll get.
So in the interest of being "part of" the animal kingdom, you may choose to leave the carcass when you killed it, so others can see what you've done and hopefully move their litters to safer areas where they will kill hundreds of rodents....instead of none.

This falls under one of those "just because I can, doesn't mean I should" catagories. Kill responsibly.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/26/13 10:14 PM

Tell that to the ranchers who lose up to 60% of their calves due to predation. Seriously, shooting to wound? The time to shoot a yotes is usually about 0.05 seconds when they pause for a brief moment.
Posted by: Roy Otis

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/26/13 10:24 PM

Coyotes are targets. They are nasty critters that will take advantage of any situation that results in a meal. Kitty, bunny, ankle biter dogs, fawns, birds, etc...I don't believe we can shoot enough of them. No matter how hard we try, they will likely outlast us. The last human on this planet will fall over dead one day, and a coyote will likely be there to eat him. My 22-250 starts whining at the mere mention of yotes.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/26/13 10:26 PM

I've lost enough birds in the last year to cost me over $3,500 in turkey sales, due to coyotes, and I'm a hobby farmer.
Posted by: JTD

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/26/13 11:53 PM

My buddy has a cattle spread east of the mountains and each year we try to make a trip over for coyotes before calving season. In March the pelts are still nice and if by removing a few we can deter more, and inadvertently save a calf, so be it.

I don't relish killing anything, and doing so is always with respect, but this is a job that can be enjoyable. Coyotes are far from endangered and make a challenging adversary.

P.S. medicine of choice is .223, .222 or .220 AI. Choices are always nice and having a secondary 12ga with Hevi Shot Dead Coyote handy for the hard chargers.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/27/13 12:02 AM

I raised 48 free ranging mallards (non flying) with almost zero coyote interference....some owl and eagle action, but not much. Taught the pups each year to stay away....never killed one or fatally wounded it. The coyotes would play with dogs, but stay away from the ducks. Am presently teaching them about chickens.....none lost.

Nasty critters? really! They will do what they are allowed and they will never do anything that is likely to bring them harm.....why?....simple.....they can't afford it.

Most I've met who enjoy killing critters just simply enjoy killing. Hitting a dumb animal between its lit-up eyes has little to do with much more than ego.

I knew going in that it was a no-win situation.....I been there. No offense, just thought I would attempt a different thought to process.

Nasty critters? Boy, you have a long ways to go. They are far from nasty critters.
Posted by: Roy Otis

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/27/13 12:14 AM

Nasty would be accurate. I can't think of another predator that does as much damage as coyotes to all types of other critters, domestic or wild. I have lived on both sides of the state and seem them in operation in both places. A slightly injured "educated" coyote will still go breed and make a bunch more coyotes that need educating. That educated dog will just learn to stay away from your place and simply move onto another. I would much rather kill one outright than shoot his tail off or put a hole in his ear.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/27/13 12:18 AM

Slabs...when I killed them, and there was a lot of 'em through the decades, I would just let them lay. Like you said, as a warning to the others. Thing is, that simply was not a significant deterant for the ones left sniffin' around with a hard on for a momma cow's afterbirth and then the others in the pack working over the newborn baby cow nearby.

Trust me, even back thirty years, I knew a thing or two about assembling a very accurate bolt action rifle. It's just what I was trained to do. In all that time doing predator control, I never thought about just takin' one ear off to teach one dog in the pack a lesson.

Now, mix that background with more than a few thousand acres of privete land, sharing a common fenceline on three sides by the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge, ..... ground that had not been hunted by anyone with a .25-06 rifle for the previous two decades, well you have a garden of eden for a dyed in the wool varmint hunter such as myself. For every coyote I shot, another one, perhaps two, got a lesson on how to stay alive buy simply being lucky that day.

If you think this is cruel to the coyotes by shooting them dead with a precision rifle as they come to the call, go watch the pursuit channel and watch those guys who run a daily trap line. Damn, those guys even make me fell squeemish.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/27/13 05:50 AM

Something that I feel needs to be done wether it is enjoyed, my fragil little ego needs a boost or not.
I do know it makes my penis feel bigger than when I shoot rats at the dump.
Not to mention I would rather buy another gun and a bag of ammo than a penis pump and I just have to do somthin for the little guy.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/27/13 06:14 AM

BB.....we are not in total disagreement. My only exposure to coyotes and cattle was on my Grandpa's 80 acre farm between Sultan and Monroe and the situation there didn't lend itself to aiming to discourage. We shot and hung 'em on the fence posts.
My shooting range was chicken eggs set on top of fence posts and I could pick them off almost without fail at 100 yards with open sites. I used the remnants as range markers when hunting coyotes. Nothing cruel about clean kills....I'm sure you won't find me saying that. I agree with the trapping comment. I've cut the broken leg off a raccoon after it got entangled in an old fenceline. Don't know if it made it or not, but at least it was free again.
I happen to live on 5 acres now with a few larger parcels adjoining mine, so the option to "teach" is available to me....and it has been working.

Roy....Do the animals move elsewhere? sure....that's the idea. Pretty weak argument, IMO. I don't buy for a second that you kill them to help your neighbors. smile

Anyway, I'm outa here.....wasn't trying to crap on anybody's party....but maybe at some point this discussion will cross someone else's mind, and they'll laugh when they knock that coyote's ear down.
Posted by: Timber

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/28/13 12:04 PM

Can dog food in a bowl in the field works good for yotes....

Son and I sit on the porch and shwack em as they sneak in at night...

For more fun set a tannerite next to the bowl and your rifle in a lead sled... bang..boom... the yotes face peels right off.. grin

It's good fun!!
Posted by: grumpyr

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/28/13 08:39 PM

Assault weapon??????

OH MY.

No Way, Nobody hunts with those evil things.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 04:09 PM

Is that a riddle?

rofl
Posted by: Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 05:11 PM

Can I bring my hatchet?

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 05:41 PM

Have hatchet, and suppressed firearms. Will travel.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 05:44 PM

Can I borrow something to take a poke at 'em?

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 05:59 PM

We could turn on the howling oppossum chant on one speaker, the monkey Faa King the football on the other speaker, film the execution with our hatchet mounted GOPROs, and then see if a lab would eat it.

Only iffing dat gobermunt hasn't takin me's guns buy den.

Is yer mom coming?

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 06:01 PM

Can we be sure that there will be no hedgehogs in the mix? I don't wanna catch no salmonellies.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd
Can we be sure that there will be no hedgehogs in the mix? I don't wanna catch no salmonellies.

Ron's in the hospital, heart aneurysm. I don't think he'll be there.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/31..._n_2582953.html

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 07:27 PM

Crap. I suspect he's got more than salmonella by now, eh?

Fish on...

Todd

P.S. I'ma bring two hatchets.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 07:37 PM

Party List

Tracers
Claymores
Tannerite
Dynamite
Cannon fuse
Flares
Spudguns (Illuminated spuds of course)
Night Vision

Plus all the usual party fare and weaponry

Save some goodies for the after-party at Hillbilly Crik.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 07:51 PM

i have fuse, powder and cannons...

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JTD

Grape shot for a one blast pack kill.

Shoot some chain if any brush clearing is needed.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: stam
Me have a Custom Built Foxpro with dual speakers that can be set about 20 yards apart. Some of their new stero sounds are awesome. Rabbit in distress on one speaker and a hawk on the other........Good chit.
Lots of digital sounds to choose from.

Oh and it be loud.

I think a mid winter barn party may be in order.... the pack was outside my bedroom window 2 nights ago, headlamp and my hounds done rund them oft. Could be some fine sport with a the rabbit hi fi and some techy gun toys...

who's in?

I'd like to come as long as 2MANY drives and Todd does not call me a Norwegion retard.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 08:41 PM

I would never call anyone a Norwegion retard.

Ever.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 08:42 PM

We did have a Norwegian fishing buddy, though, who we called "Sponge Bob Square Head"...but he seemed to think it was funny.

smile

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 09:03 PM

OK, It's cool Todd, and you must know that I was only kidding....You just have to understand, for some of us, a Norwegion joke is no laughing matter. I have some stories about Uncle Inar. An honorary Uncle that used to come every year for the traditional X-Mas Eve Scandanavian dinner at the Pearson household.

My mother just hated Inar, he would fill my head stories about fishing, Alaskan chicks with poor teeth, and of course, the true benifits of Coppenhagen. Me, as a kid in junior high scool, I loved him. He had hands so large they made his feet look small.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 09:10 PM

He sounds like the kind of Uncle that everyone should have one of.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
Originally Posted By: JTD

Grape shot for a one blast pack kill.

Shoot some chain if any brush clearing is needed.

Four to five ounces of whatever suits your fancy... Newspaper, steel wool and cast concrete is all I have tried but T shot or bigger would be enough. Chain would be just more dramatic.

smile

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 10:11 PM

Todd, Inar was a real trophy. His stories I'll take to the grave..

One of my fav's, just before dinner hit the table and after he had just finished off the entire punchbowl of enhanced eggnog.... He just looked over at me in a low voice and asked if I knew why none of the old Scandinavian fishermen living in Ballard had never circumsized?

Well, as a kid in Junior High School, the question just kinda freaked me out because I just had no idea how to answer. He leaned over even closer and said Marv, " That's so they have some place to put their Coppenhagen when they eat"

God Bless you Uncle Inar.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 10:17 PM

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 10:23 PM

But what do we do after the first barrage, Andy?

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 11:25 PM

Someone in this party should be able to quarter and marinate a fresh kilt coyote for a sish-ka-bob dinner for twenty folks around Stam's campfire.

Hell, I could bring some of the homemade drinkin' liquor that the Lewis Co. Regulars done give me for some free machine shop services.

Thing is, what's gonna taste worse, the marinated & grilled coyote backstraps or the Lewis County Moonshine ?

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 01/31/13 11:34 PM

Fish on...

Todd

Duh, reload.

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 02/01/13 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Black Bart

Thing is, what's gonna taste worse, the marinated & grilled coyote backstraps or the Lewis County Moonshine ?

Whichever one you have first will taste terrible...whatever you have second will taste good in comparison.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 02/01/13 12:44 AM

I had to five star this one.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 02/01/13 05:11 AM

Fish on...

Todd

Sounds like it could turn into a long night.
Im in

Re: I think I'm ready for coyotes. - 02/16/13 08:38 AM

Andy's new set up is incredible. The bolt makes more noise than the round. The whole thing is a piece of art work.