Wood Duck Limits

Posted by: D3Smartie

Wood Duck Limits - 11/29/13 11:33 PM

Fun hunt this morning. 21 degrees and the birds couldnt get into the decoys fast enough.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 11/30/13 12:55 AM

Sweet
Posted by: JTD

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 11/30/13 01:54 AM

That is remarkable.

Of all the places I hunt, Wood Ducks are few and far between.

Very cool.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 11/30/13 03:47 AM

Show off. wink

I've done three in a day, but never 7. Nice band, too.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 11/30/13 10:23 AM

Nice! When I started chasing waterfowl the season on Woodies was either still closed or had just reopened after decades of closure. Nice to see them back.

The Mandarin (Asian version of the Woodie) is somewhat established in CA. They may spread north as they appear to be more successful in cooler, wetter climates than the Woodie.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 11/30/13 11:07 PM

Cupped-up and feet down. Doesn't get much better. Nice straight....
Posted by: big moby

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 12/01/13 10:59 AM

that is an epic limit with the band to top it off.
Posted by: snit

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 12/02/13 12:51 AM

Nice! Used to do that quite often around Mabton with my 28ga, but this time of year they're normally heading out. They were thick like quail in the Russian olives around the ox-bows of the Yakima. Never got a banded one. Congrats.
Posted by: D3Smartie

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 12/02/13 02:57 PM

Lots and lots of woodies in the areas we hunt. a little ice and they were all packed into a small slough. It was great for 2 days before it warmed back up and opened up

snit, it used to be so much fun down there. Thats where i grew up hunting. They have torn out most of the russian olives now and the quail and wood duck numbers have really gone down. Also hurts that there arent as many cattle along the river as there used to be to keep the brush open with trails. The wild rose patches are darn near impossible to hunt anymore.
Posted by: snit

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 12/03/13 10:23 AM

It's been 10 years since I hunted the Rez around there. It was a modern day shangra-la in the 80's-90's. Too bad it's changed so much. I honestly couldn't begin to guess how many critters I killed around there during that time. It was such a cool area.

Nice job on the pretty birds!
Posted by: GEAR MONGER 2

Re: Wood Duck Limits - 12/07/13 11:39 PM

Very nice!!! Last drake I shot I had mounted. I was on the Rez. Beautiful birds! It's been a while since I have seen one. I'm going to hit some of my old stomping grounds over there. I hunted the Rez every weekend almost for years back when the Roos were thick there. I had some ditches, and ponds I would jump that had woodies on them. 70's- the 90s is when I spent my time there. Rarely did I set up for ducks, but had no problem shooting them. I set up for geese..man those were the days. 50...60 Roo years were common back then. Never shot more than one woodie at a time.