Look what I shot today

Posted by: Dave Vedder

Look what I shot today - 11/22/14 01:41 PM

I see more of these in the Snoqualmie River valley every year. I THINK they are tundra swans. They seem to know we can't shoot them.

They fly over, well within range, almost every time I am out pheasant hunting.

Posted by: Carcassman

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/23/14 01:26 AM

It looks like the adult's bill has some yellow which makes it a Tundra. Pretty birds, and nice to see the two young one's.

Seen a few times when they were mistaken for Snow Geese. Fortunately, the hunter's shooting ability and game ID were about equal.

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/23/14 10:27 AM

Dunno how they taste, but sure would look good on the Thanksgiving table.

I love seeing them. Their in-flight chatter is much less annoying than the Canada Goose.

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/23/14 11:37 AM

Pretty good, I think. They are hunted (legally) in some parts of the mid-west, I think. Along with Sandhill Cranes. Eat much the same food as geese.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/23/14 12:22 PM

They are in the Chehalis River valley too.

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/23/14 12:34 PM

Yep, they have a Sandhill season in several states. There the locals call them prime rib of the sky . . .
Posted by: JTD

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/23/14 09:36 PM

Here is an interesting dialogue regarding to possibility of a future swan season in Washington from the Washington Advisory Group.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=904572

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/24/14 12:17 AM

One of the difficulties of a swan season soon in WA is the abundance of Trumpeters, which are threatened, I believe. I can tell them apart, on the ground, with good glass, but not as a fly-by.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Look what I shot today - 11/24/14 02:04 AM

I love the"creak, creak, creak" as they fly over.