Posted by: Dogfish

#24 - 09/06/15 09:29 PM

First year bow hunting with a purpose. Got my bow in February 2014. Been practicing regularly. Last year I drew multiseason deer and a choice muzzle loader tag. While I carried my bow for a few days I knew I wasn't going to shoot a blacktail with my bow with a trophy mule deer tag. Ended up taking a solid mule deer last year, so that was a good choice.

Fast forward to this year. No special tags, super busy through elk season, barely any time for deer hunting. Picked up the bow Friday night and my buddy Matt headed down. Dropped Matt off in the good spot. Gave him some instructions. Continued on to my area and parked the truck. Grabbed my bow and headed down the path. 75 yards away from the truck is this big doe, standing broadside. Nock the arrow, attach the release, draw, aim for the top pin, and let it fly. THWACK. If you haven't heard it, you need to. Saw the illuminock zip through her chest. Knew it was a solid hit. Had to be, she was only 10 yards away at most.

Heard some crashing but I didn't charge in. I went for my arrow.

Good blood, solid hit.

Texted my hunting partner. Waited a few minutes. Then went looking. She went 25 yards, maybe. I will definitely be doing this again. No big horns. Nice solid barren doe. (No milk). Great amount of fat on her saddle. Bled out perfectly.
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: #24 - 09/07/15 08:09 AM

Sounds like a tough hunt--- a whole 100 yards from the truck to the dead doe.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: #24 - 09/07/15 08:52 AM

They aren't always tough. We continued to look for Matt's deer for the next two days, hiking about 10 miles.
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: #24 - 09/07/15 11:19 AM

Nice eats, nice hunt. They sure aren't all that easy but when it does come together. Especially the shot.

Way to go!
Posted by: NickD90

Re: #24 - 09/08/15 08:56 AM

THUMP!

What time is dinner?

thumbs
Posted by: landcruiserwilly

Re: #24 - 09/08/15 12:43 PM

nicely done! Lindsey and I are hunting modern firearms together for her first deer season. can't wait!!

willy
Posted by: wsu

Re: #24 - 09/08/15 02:03 PM

Now try elk hunting with a bow. It's even more addicting!