AR Customized

Posted by: chrome/22

AR Customized - 03/11/16 05:31 PM

I really like this bolt charging knob. Anyone ever install one?
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: AR Customized - 03/11/16 06:09 PM

It's called a "Side Charger"
You have to machine your upper to accept or use one that has been factory-prepped for a side charger.
Young Manufacturing makes many of them....
http://youngmanufacturing.net/ym-nationa...mplete-151.html
Mega makes a nice side charging upper...
https://www.rainierarms.com/upper-mega-billet-side-charging-upper

Me want
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: AR Customized - 03/14/16 07:14 PM

Haven't built one, yet. I understand the idea behind it and and have shot one, but it really wasn't much different and innovative than my 10/22, Remington 740, SKS, or M1 Garand. Almost every other rifle uses a side charging knob.

The downsides to me are:

1. Changes the manual of arms for an AR, a rifle I have used for many years. In my set of rifles it would be a bit of an oddball, but if you only have one AR, go for it.

2. They add a lot of cost to a build for something that really doesn't benefit you that much in accuracy, speed or ease of handling.

Not against them, but I probably wouldn't build a rifle with one. More of a Rainier Arms boutique rifle item.
Posted by: Black Bart

Re: AR Customized - 03/14/16 11:17 PM

Andy ... I could not agree more. They look cool, but ... added cost of the new fancy upper receiver ... more added mass to the bolt when cycling ... the charging handle always catching on chit ...

Hard for a guy like me to see the advantage.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: AR Customized - 03/15/16 02:52 PM

I entirely agree. For me I'm accustomed to holding the rifle with my right hand on the pistol grip. To function on the charger I would either have to reach over on top of the rifle, over an optic, with my left hand or take my right hand off the pistol grip and function charger handle. For hunting, not really an issue. Self defense, train like you fight.

Currently my left hand works the charging handle, inserts mags, hits the bolt release and gets places on the hand guard.

My right hand fires, holds the pistol grip, uses safety, and ejects the magazines. It never leaves the rifle.
Posted by: FishRanger

Re: AR Customized - 03/20/16 10:36 PM

If you re going to do it, do it right.. .. .get a piston upper with the charging handle forward and on the left where it should be ala H&K. . . .
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: AR Customized - 03/21/16 09:12 AM

Piston uppers are for AK lovers that want to make the AR "better".
"You don't shet where you eat." is their battle cry.
Posted by: Sol Duc

Re: AR Customized - 03/30/16 05:45 PM

Pretty sick looking.