something old, and cool...

Posted by: 5 * General Evo

something old, and cool... - 04/14/19 05:05 PM

Katies mom died 15+ years ago, and she got her moms shotgun...

she doesnt really shoot, cuz shes kinda a baby, so she never brought it home till today....

cleaned it up and oiled it and it functions excellent, for a nearly 100 year old shotgun....

Remington The Sportsman semi auto 20 gauge, made in 1930/31, 30 inch barrel (i think havent measured it but its long), full choke....

does have some dings in the stock, the bluing is worn off in places, but i think it will be a fine shooter....

(from what i read, Remington built these for Browning back then, because FN Herstal was controlled by Nazi Germany, there are also "Browning Patents" marked on the barrel...)

definitely a cool old gun, and piece of firearms history....

sorry the pictures are so dark, the fvckin flash on my phone broke, so i have to buy another phone, ive had it for 3 months.....
Posted by: NickD90

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/14/19 05:53 PM

DO NOT shoot steel through that gun. Lead ONLY.

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/14/19 06:03 PM

yes, i know Nick, i dont shoot steel through any full choke gun whatsoever... even if they say you can, i dont... it can and will crack the end of the barrel...

older guns like this, are more likely to blow up vs just crack...

i was just gonna shoot trap with it, they dont allow steel that i know of at the trap range i go to, not sure if they do now, but didnt a while ago...

what i did find, is that you can buy barrels for these... skeet barrels, improved barrels, ect... and they arent that expensive from what some of the forums said, so maybe ill grab another barrel as im not really fond of full chokes to begin with... i like improved the best, but thats just me....
Posted by: Carcassman

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/15/19 07:26 PM

I have my Great Uncle's 12 gauge sea-auto that looks like that. Haven't shot it, yet, but will someday. Along with my dad's Model-12 from the teens.

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/15/19 08:29 PM

You may have heard Todd talk about it here, but I have my Gramps old Model 12 goose gun and to this day, it remains a deer killing machine. It kicks like a rented mule, but she still runs strong. It has the 32" full choke barrel and it was retired from service when steel shot went into effect. I took her out of retirement to shoot deer.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/15/19 09:50 PM

Posted by: Carcassman

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/16/19 07:19 AM

The use of those two old scatterguns on deer sounds great. For a variety of reasons I would prefer to use non-toxics for all scatter gunning but I would love to use those two oldies on pheasant, which is what they grew up on.

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/16/19 11:40 AM

yeah i remember Nick, thats cool you still use it...

this one looks like its going to kick too, the stock is not very wide, and its light... really light, much lighter than my dads Wingmaster 20 gauge...

these are the 3 shot version of the Model 11, the Model 11 was a 5 shot, they are built on the Browning A5 platform...

its a recoil operated action, which i am not familiar with at all, so im sure its going to take some getting used to... should be alright tho...

i guess gangsters like DIllinger and the likes in the 20s and 30s really liked them...

the Model 11 was also the first semi auto shotgun made in the USA... they started in 1905....

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/16/19 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Evo

its a recoil operated action, which i am not familiar with at all, so im sure its going to take some getting used to... should be alright tho...

Well that is kinda what makes it an autoloader! The shells just don't jump into the chamber all on their own. wink

Regardless of it's weight, it won't be a bad recoiling gun at all. A good healthy portion of the recoil is absorbed by the action instead of all of it going into your shoulder, so that's how they are able to get by making it light without overly hammering the shooter. That gun was made to shoot many heavy full field loads over the course of a full day of wing shooting. However, the lightness of the gun has the draw back of not being as steady when aiming. Heavy long guns make that easier. Conversely, lighter guns are easier & faster to sweep / move through the target which is a major bonus when wing shooting. You'll like shooting trap & skeet with it...a lot!

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/16/19 07:38 PM

No i mean recoil operated, the barrel moves backwards each shot... Not gas operated where just the bolt moves backwards...

Your right tho, it should take some recoil out because of the mass weight of the action, but logic is telling me that shoving a 30 inch barrel and action backward towards my shoulder could create significant recoil....

Like i said, I'm new to these old guns... Known about them, just never have shot them...

I've got another cool piece... It's a 1700s flintlock pistol.... Thinking about putting a red dot on it.....

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/16/19 08:09 PM

Oh gotcha - I misinterpreted what you were saying. Speaking of recoil, last deer season I went to magnum 3" 00 buckshot out of my extremely light Winny SXP. That thing is a true monster and I'm not recoil shy at all. I need to adjust the LOP to be longer for my monkey arms. I've crowded it a few times and it's left me bloody every single time. Good fun!

Good luck finding out how it shoots.
Posted by: deerlick

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/23/19 09:29 PM

The barrel doesnt move evo and It wont kick much at all.

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/24/19 12:54 PM

Yup! I'm not much of a waterfowler, but I have plunked a few geese & ducks with Bismuth from the ol' model 12. Hammers em'!

I'll tell you what, those HOT 3" magnum 00 bucks I use on deer shoot (12) .32 cal copper plated pellets moving at 1800 FPS out of a full choke. I would not EVER what to be on the receiving end of those loads. At 50 yards or less, the transferred shock on the animal is just incredible. It literally lifts them off the hoof. Bang flop indeed.

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/24/19 01:20 PM

yes, the barrel does move...

Nick, have you shot the Federal buckshot with FlightControl wads yet?
Posted by: deerlick

Re: something old, and cool... - 04/24/19 08:50 PM

Ok learn something everyday