THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS...

Posted by: Paul Smenis

THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 09/11/20 11:25 AM

The tongue.
No, seriously!

Give it a try, you won't be sorry!
Stop throwing out the best put of your game and start cooking them up.
This is the recipe I sort of follow, my spice mixture is slightly different but the rest is the same. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqnTsXIpymU
Posted by: Todd

Re: THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 09/11/20 11:26 AM

I saved up all the blacktail tongues from our camp a few years ago, and made a batch of lengua tacos out of them...fuckyes.

That being said, as many good things that are going on there...the first part I eat, and my favorite part, is the heart, hands down.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: WDFW X 1 = 0

Re: THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 09/11/20 01:19 PM

Elk tongue is good.
Slice it and eat it Like BBQ pork.

Always good to let em know who got the last word/bugle in too.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 09/11/20 04:31 PM

If it's anything like a beef tongue, than it's gooood.

Never had deer tongue, but I'd try that in a red hot second.

Beef tongue street tacos in Cabo. To die for.

I love the looks on the locals faces when the kids and I would show up "where the locals get their tacos" and order the beef tongue.

Posted by: NickD90

Re: THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 09/11/20 08:41 PM

I've never bothered going through the trouble on my deer & elk. I suppose I should - tongue is very good.

I have beef tongue tacos about once every 2 weeks. There is a roadside taco stand up the street. The real deal and tacos are $1.50 apiece. I'll take 8. I eat there about once every 2 - 3 days overall. I can't help it.

Besides lots of beef tongue in Mexican food, I've had smoked elk tongue sliced thin on crackers with the proper fixings. It was like pastrami - so frickin' good.

Another wonderful part of the animal, is it's cull fat. If you get an animal down and it's loaded with cull fat, spend 2 minutes and take it! It's amazing for meatloaf, meat balls, burgers, stews etc. Any recipe where clean, non-gamey fat is needed.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 09/17/20 10:32 AM

Tongues get added to the pack load but have long had a fondness for tendies. Usually in camp, marinated in a splash of French vino, cracked pepper and toasted/ground cumin....
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: THE BEST CUT FROM YOUR DEER OR ELK IS... - 12/02/20 02:56 PM

Not doing it... Not eating the tongue!

Just like I won't eat pickled pigs feet, puke!!

Keith