Waterfowl

Posted by: Carcassman

Waterfowl - 10/14/23 06:00 PM

After not participating for about a decade I headed to Johns River for OD of waterfowl. The last times I was there there were all sorts of (dumb) Cackling Geese. Not much today. One flock of geese and about 20 ducks who all stayed out of range.

As a side questions, are elk bugling in that area now? I head one coffin the distance but it could have been a hunter calling.
Posted by: 20 Gage

Re: Waterfowl - 10/15/23 02:45 PM

Hmmm, nothing moving up in the big timber for me either. I was up doing the OD for Blacktail. Bumped a couple small groups of elk cows when hiking in and again out. Nary a deer to be seen. I’m using the “eclipse” excuse for my total lack of anything to harvest but rain, dark, and very wet in the morning.

Seems a little late for the elk bugle boys, but it does happen.

Re: Waterfowl - 10/15/23 08:51 PM

Just wondering. It sounded reasonably far away. I was also under the impression that Roosevelt's don't bugle as much or as loudly as the Rocky Mountains.
Posted by: 20 Gage

Re: Waterfowl - 11/21/23 01:34 PM

Well C-man, hows the waterfowling going ? Hopefully you do better than I.

I finally gave up on a Blacktail for this year/season. I did seven daze of the regular, and two outta the three day late buck, and nada on the bucks. In fact, not only nada, zip, zero, tiny amount, no & none, but nary a doe to be seen either. A tuff roe to hoe deer season for this ole deer hunter.

So, it’s back to Pheasant, Quail, and maybe a few more Grouse before the hunting ends. An ending the bird dawgs here bark for, with all 12 paws full up and begging to go.

So, it’s all good, - I guess. wink

Re: Waterfowl - 12/20/23 10:21 AM

I only did the one day; haven't heard anything at all about John's River. Since I lack a boat and a dog, I have to be able to fetch for myself.

Did get a nice 3/2 Blacktail and just picked up turkey #2 so there has been some success in the past month or so./