Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2?

Posted by: Dogfish

Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2? - 02/05/02 04:31 PM

I drew a hunt for Sunday down by Vancouver. Wish me luck, I only have 8 decoys. Any suggestions on set up?

Andy
Posted by: trophydeer

Re: Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2? - 02/05/02 06:45 PM

Dogfish, If possible go buy some more decoys, The bigger the better, And you also need a good call. On the setup make everything spread out So the ducks coming in will think everything is O.K. The tighter the spread the more nervous the ducks seem

Re: Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2? - 02/05/02 07:21 PM

Ducks? I've got 200+ duck decoys, but I'm hunting geese. I have a few shells and a number of floaters that will do fine in the field. I'll give it a shot. I get to hunt until the first week or so of March, so if anybody's bored, bring a call and some dekes, but unless you have a AHE cert and a goose ID card, you can't bring a gun.

Andy
Posted by: trophydeer

Re: Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2? - 02/05/02 08:05 PM

Sorry I was thinking geese but I wrote ducks
Posted by: BigShark

Re: Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2? - 02/06/02 02:42 AM

Hi Dogfish, glad to see you on this board. If you are hunting were I think you are you should be in for a treat. The Willow Bar that is on the east side of Sauvie Island is across from our club. If I understand your post on the other board you should be directly across the river from us. There have been large numbers of commons or greaters if you call them that, using the yacht
lagoon on Willow Bar. I don't think you will need a lot of decoys if they are good ones. The birds were decoy shy at the end of the regular season and were call shy as well. I'd give them a hello
call and then be very sparing with a few clucks.
Good Luck and how about posting how it goes.

Re: Anybody hunting the late season geese in area 2? - 02/06/02 05:27 PM

I got access to a dozen more, so I'll have 20. Should be a good hunt. I'll post picture after I get back.