Trophy mule deer

Posted by: trophydeer

Trophy mule deer - 02/05/02 08:07 PM

Has anyone had succes this year with hunting mule deer. I shot a nice 4 point in eastern oregon.
Posted by: Pmartin

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/05/02 08:13 PM

My best friend got the third largest ever taking by bow and sixth largest ever takin in Washington. He took first place in the Hunting and Fishing Expo the year. Not grand pize though. So to answer your question......Yes. I will post a pic tomorrow. The pics are on my PC at work....
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/05/02 09:23 PM

My nephew got this "trophy" mule deer this last October. It was his 2nd year hunting and his first deer. While it might not look like a trophy to some of you guys, just look at that smile and you can tell it sure was a trophy for Michael.

I have been putting in for an Eastern Washington tag for mulies for the last 4 years, and no draw. FisherDan knows where, and I'm going to get mine with a muzzleloader.

Andy
Posted by: GameHunter

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/06/02 10:12 PM

Special permit hunts are the only way to go. Keep putting in it pays off. I bagged a deer and a elk this year. A desent 4x4 muley and a cow elk for those that are interested. It took me 2 years on the deer and 2 on the elk before I got my special tags. Its worth the wait.
Anyone out there hunt the teanaway or pearryigen regions for deer.
Posted by: Fisherdan

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/07/02 01:04 AM

Now that I've used up my preference points on an elk draw, all I've got to look forward to is the fact that I have max preference points for deer. I'm being REAL picky about what I put in for. If I draw the tag, it's just a matter of moving the 4X4's out of the way so I can shoot one of the nice 5X5's...... Well, maybe not that easy, but I head over just to glass the bucks during the rut each of the last several years (when the limited tag are open) and I see the monsters. They're usually walking around with their nose about an inch from a doe's butt.

Oh please, oh, please, oh, please!!!!
Posted by: haverodwillfish

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/07/02 10:50 PM

I get my "trophy" mulie every year in NE Oregon, anyone else hunt there? Got a good lead for hunting there and also on the Yakima Military Reservation if anyone is interested, or just want to BS about huntin in general, shoot me an e mail.
Posted by: LDR

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/14/02 11:15 AM

On my first day of mule deer hunting saw this guy trying to sneak into the brush behind me. Was hunting in the Blewett Pass area, about a mile or so off the road. I was definitely in the right place at the right time (can you say lucky), but I'll probably go the next 10 years without seeing another buck; it'll all balance out in the end. I can safely say that I am now hooked on hunting mule deer!
http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/cgi-bin/pursuits/uploader.pl?action=view&epoch=1013702518
Posted by: HBP

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/14/02 12:28 PM

LDR, thats an awesome buck! I've seen a half dozen bucks like that where we hunt but wouldn't you know 5 of the 6 were during elk season. The 1 buck I saw like that during deer season was this year on the last day, but he made the timber before I got a shot. If I had more time I woulda chased him down but I only had about 10min of shooting light left. I amost wanted to cry.
Posted by: Scott B.

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/18/02 01:37 AM

I went to southeast idaho in hopes of a big buck.Ha, out of five guys I got a little three point and that was it. It was to open for the amount of people and quads that were there. I,m sure there were nice bucks but they weren,t showing themselves. I hope to go to eastern oregon this fall deer hunting and I have 3 preference points. Never been so any helpful pointers would be appreciated. Would really like to bow hunt for elk in an area that could go back to later and rifle (or bow) hunt for deer. I have horses and pack gear so wilderness is great option.
Posted by: BigShark

Re: Trophy mule deer - 02/18/02 04:31 AM

ScottB
I would give the North Snake Unit and the Minam
some serious thought. I would personally favor the Snake over the Minam as there are a lot of hikers in the latter. I don't know about the point thing as I just bowhunt. The canyon of cow creek is where I'd start. If you can, go the last part of the season. With horses you could also hunt the east side of the Imnaha Unit. The trick here is to go to the breaks above the Imnaha River and hunt the timbered draws. Too far for most guys to walk, even the tough ones. The elk
are always where they aren't bothered much and the
bucks get a chance to reach maturity.
Posted by: KNOPHISH

Re: Trophy mule deer - 03/02/02 10:35 PM

Cool, I just found the hunting page & one of my favorite topics. So Pmartin, I'll show you mine if you show me yours. I want to see what I have to beat next year. Heh heh. Yeah right I wish, But you never know. Didn't have to hunt too long this year in WA as I tagged out opening morning on a wide 3 point. This year I saw some monster bulls in the spike only area during elk season. Wishin for that bull tag next year.
Posted by: Loomis

Re: Trophy mule deer - 03/03/02 04:45 PM

Took nice 4pt over in the Republic on opening morn of modern rifle,also took nice spike in eastern washington
Posted by: haverodwillfish

Re: Trophy mule deer - 03/03/02 10:01 PM

BigShark: Shoot me an e mail if you would!