cougar hunting with hounds. Poaching?

Posted by: GameHunter

cougar hunting with hounds. Poaching? - 02/13/02 01:01 PM

My buddy and I were up in Reider on saterday doing a little kitty hunting. When we talked to some fellow cat hunters on the way back to our truck. They said they were heading down because some guys earlier that morning chased the cat out of the area with a bunch of hounds. Which spoiled my idea of no one else seeing the cats tracks up in the area. So my question is, does the state issue special hound hunts or were these guys poaching. The day was not a loss we drove over to the bend howard road and found a open wheyerhuaser gate and had fun plinking around. Has anyone else heard of something like this?
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: cougar hunting with hounds. Poaching? - 02/13/02 02:36 PM

There is a process that specific hunters can go through to help teh state track down problem cats. This may have been the case, maybe not. I would suggest calling enforcement for your region to find out, as these folks work closely with enforcement. Hope this helps.
Posted by: GameHunter

Re: cougar hunting with hounds. Poaching? - 02/14/02 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info. Ill try getting in touch with the local enforcement and see if I can't get to the bottem of this. Untill then I have to find a new place to drop my cat for this year.
Posted by: riverswild

Re: cougar hunting with hounds. Poaching? - 02/14/02 11:37 PM

I haven't checked the regs for season dates but it is still legal to chase yotes with hounds. This may be the case, or they may use it as a ruse to chase cats.