Bugling for El;k

Posted by: TROUTnSALMON

Bugling for El;k - 02/14/02 10:30 AM

What has everyone experienced as far as bugling for bulls in early season. I seem to only be able to get the raghorns in in the early part. What is everone else's experience?
Posted by: HBP

Re: Bugling for El;k - 02/14/02 12:34 PM

I dont bowhunt but a friend does, he tried bugling but he got more people coming in than elk so he switched to a cow call and has had alot more success with bulls of all sizes.
Posted by: BigShark

Re: Bugling for El;k - 02/15/02 12:07 AM

Your question could take a book to answer but we will keep it short. For starters the bull of most BH dreams already has the cows and he will move them out before he will fight a brat. Then you have the fact that the cows choose their bull in most cases and will protect him as lookouts unless a bull of VISIBLY equal attributes(size) is present. Thats why busting his cows and waiting for him to come see what the hell did it works for so many hunters. Elk become desensitized
to calls very easy. This is because they are exposed to it by every guy who has a call. The trick to a higher success rate in your hunting is to find an area that has few or no other hunters. Thats a primary reason for most pack-in trips. There is a way to get a little more lucky in the last part of a season. This is when a mature herd
bull looses enough weight and tires enough to be beaten by a rival. There is nothing less cautious than such an animal as he will then fight anything
that sounds like another bull and come in very quickly. Most newer hunters are then convinced they are expert callers and have found the secret formula for success. I have chased these critters for almost 40 seasons with stick&string and thats how I see it anyway. Wish you the best of hunting and make it a passion. You won't be disappointed.
Posted by: Big Woody

Re: Bugling for El;k - 03/04/02 01:07 AM

Big Shark, I have to agree with you on getting the Bulls to come in more when you are in a remote area. We went in on Horseback this last Bow season on the early hunt. I called in several Bulls and my bugling is so bad, when I practice at home, all the dogs in the neighborhood start howling. My hunting partners get in my pack before we head up in the woods and loose my bugle. They try going for my cow call , but that's usually in my mouth,so they leave that alone.
Posted by: FishinFinatic

Re: Bugling for El;k - 03/05/02 02:13 PM

Theres a great book that you can get thats called "ELK TALK" writtin by Don Laubach and Mark Henckel, with introduction by Jim Zumbo, If your new tto the sport this book will be very usefull for you. Or even keep seasoned hunters with ideas and thoughts not to forget. But this book isn't just about calling in elk it aslo talks about an elks life from birth to death. I found mine at GI Joes, for about 17 bucks. Archery is a great sport, I sold my last rifle just a couple days ago. Good luck. Mike
Posted by: badboy

Re: Bugling for El;k - 04/08/02 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigShark:
Your question could take a book to answer but we will keep it short. For starters the bull of most BH dreams already has the cows and he will move them out before he will fight a brat. Then you have the fact that the cows choose their bull in most cases and will protect him as lookouts unless a bull of VISIBLY equal attributes(size) is present. Thats why busting his cows and waiting for him to come see what the hell did it works for so many hunters. Elk become desensitized
to calls very easy. This is because they are exposed to it by every guy who has a call. The trick to a higher success rate in your hunting is to find an area that has few or no other hunters. Thats a primary reason for most pack-in trips. There is a way to get a little more lucky in the last part of a season. This is when a mature herd
bull looses enough weight and tires enough to be beaten by a rival. There is nothing less stupid than such an animal as he will then fight anything
that sounds like another bull and come in very quickly. Most newer hunters are then convinced they are expert callers and have found the secret formula for success. I have chased these critters for almost 40 seasons with stick&string and thats how I see it anyway. Wish you the best of hunting and make it a passion. You won't be disappointed.
Posted by: MCougar

Re: Bugling for El;k - 04/08/02 11:27 PM

Throw the bugle away, or leave it at home and master the cow chirp with a diafram call,
the bulls will come running, and not running away.