Chokes for sabot slugs?

Posted by: HBP

Chokes for sabot slugs? - 02/22/02 03:32 PM

All this talk of slugs has made me wonder, what kind of choke do you use for slugs? I have never shot slugs from my Mossy 835 but might oneday and it would help to have the right system.
Posted by: lugnutt

Re: Chokes for sabot slugs? - 02/22/02 05:03 PM

HBP- my understanding is you should not shoot sabot slugs out of a smooth barrel (shotgun). They are designed for a rifled shotgun barrel. They are very accurate (100 yards easily) out of a rifled barrel. My understanding is you should shoot the regular slugs out of a shotgun. Mossberg makes great slug guns-
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: Chokes for sabot slugs? - 02/22/02 06:44 PM

Only shoot bird shot out of the 835 standard barrel. The barrel is overbored and ANY slugs have enough play in there to where they can cause a barrel obstruction and blow up your gun. Read your manual to double check. The model 500 will handle slugs just fine through the smooth bore.

You should buy a slug barrel for shooting foster or sabot type slugs out of your 835. I bought one used for $85 from B&M specialties. Dominic is the guy to talk to. Their number is 317-291-6558. I bought three used barrels from them for different guns, all just fine.

Expect accuracy with open sights to be within the 2-3" range at 75 yards. Not outstanding, but certainly good enough to get the job done.