Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations?

Posted by: Chromeo

Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations? - 04/10/02 02:08 AM

What do you guys thing would be the best shot size for a 2 3/4" 12 gauge to take down a tom with?

Thanks Guys
Tyler

P.S. i dont know about you guys but i am gettin soooooo pumped for monday to roll around... Gobble Gobble Gobble... BANG!!!!!! laugh
Posted by: KNOPHISH

Re: Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations? - 04/10/02 09:58 AM

TTT, I'm shooting a model 12 same size as you & I'm going with the #4's. They came in a 5 pack & say turkey loads on em. I'll use 1 shot to pattern & still have 4 years worth of ammo. wink You know, 1 shot kills. The ol lady doesn't like me practicing my call in the garage either. Good luck!
Posted by: DM

Re: Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations? - 04/10/02 10:00 PM

hey teyler I am using number 4 shot also but in a three and a half inch mag.

where abouts you going, I am headed up to kettle and colville this coming friday so we can get there a little befor opening day. Just like you I cant wait either.

Good luck Hope to see some turk pics as well show some myself. smile
Posted by: Chromeo

Re: Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations? - 04/10/02 11:14 PM

Me and Gamehunter are goin to hunt kettle but we can leave til saturday frown . if its to packed were gonna go to a different site. we'll be in a F-150 on 36's you'll know if you see the truck.

Tyler
Posted by: BigShark

Re: Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations? - 04/10/02 11:32 PM

Tyler, have you thought of using the Hevi-shot #4?
Just a reminder that the pattern is much tighter than lead and the down range energy is BIG. Poor turkey!......Save a drumstick for me. wink
Posted by: IronheadMN

Re: Turkey Shot Size Reccomendations? - 04/11/02 12:32 AM

If you can stiil find them Remington made a 4x6 duplex load with buffer. I'm shooting the same load in a Mossberg 500 30' xfull and getting 15-19 vital hits at 40 yds. Can't find the loads here anymore, so we load our own with 4x6 tungsten and buffer it.