Hey Bob: Plug Questions revisited

Posted by: hawk

Hey Bob: Plug Questions revisited - 03/11/99 10:07 PM

Sorry for the generalities. I used to fish planers with plugs on the Klickitaat, but you can become very unpopular if anyone is trying to fish the hole with you. Most of the rivers over here are at the most 3 to 5 feet deep in the deepest holes. Sounds like the tadpolly may be my best bet for this depth of water. The water usually carries a lot of color all spring, and then clears up for the winter fishing. Just wondering if you thought the bright colors worked better in clear or dirty water. I usually catch most of my fish on dark yarn and flies when the water is dirty. Brighter colors when it is clearing up, then natural or softer colors in smaller sizes when it starts getting real clear. I will be fishing a river this spring in Alaska for steelies that is very clear. I am going to make a stop at Teds and Sportco during my extra day in Seattle. I think I need to get the smaller sizes for our fish here, and a few bigger ones for Alaska. If you have any colors that tend to produce better than others or the conditions I described, let me know. Thanks for the help. By the way, the fish went nuts on your egg recipe. Tried it in bags and skein last weekend. The nice thing is, by using the die, the membrane on the skein doesn't turn white right away. Thnaks again.
Posted by: Bob

Re: Hey Bob: Plug Questions revisited - 03/12/99 10:29 PM

Color choices vary widely from river to river ... personally, I run bright in dirty water and dark in clear ... but lots of guys do the opposite and do great ... personally, I like silver/orange and pinks as my faves in normal to dirty water. In super clean water, gold tones work well ... again, you're going to find preferences on each river system ... I'd stick with your choices for color schemes that you like .. remember, knowing where the fish are and presentation is 95% of the game!