White backer

Posted by: Timber

White backer - 07/01/00 06:25 PM

I,m looking for some white backer 1/4 and 3/8.I've looked all over and havent been able to find any Any help would be appreciated.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: White backer - 07/01/00 09:12 PM

Why not other colors????? I used "light pink", "light purple" and a "light green", all caught winter run steelhead. I realize "everyone" wants the white, and that aero fly's, and many of the "rags" are made out of white but the other color DO work. If making "rags" just use different colors of yarn......If nothing else.....they look pretty!!!! Hehehehehe

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

Re: White backer - 07/01/00 09:26 PM

DrifterWA--all I have been able to find is grey. Where do you find the other colors? TM
Posted by: steelyhorn hunter

Re: White backer - 07/01/00 10:33 PM

I've made rags out of ear plugs on several occassions. They come in quite afew different colors and are already cut to a nice leg.Also, if you get tired of listening to your fishing partner that day you can stick them in your ears. Don't try this in downtown Seattle you may start a new fashion!! Good-luck
Posted by: River Rat

Re: White backer - 07/01/00 10:45 PM

Great Northwest Fishing and Archery had the white when I was there on thursday It is in Puyalup on river road

[This message has been edited by River Rat (edited 07-01-2000).]

Re: White backer - 07/02/00 11:05 AM

TM:

Even the grey will work, but I found a big sheet of the "light pink" at Boeing Surplus in Renton. What I use to "punch it out" is a 270 shell, that I've filed super sharp, then just sit and watch TV, and punch out as many as you want. The orginal piece was about 24" x 9" x 2". I've tried then at different lenghts, 1/2, 3/4, 1", all seem to work. The 1" probably easier to "get the fuzzy yarn" in but can be done with the other sizes also.
Walmart has some "kids toys" about 3" x 5', in the different colors.

What I was trying to do, put an idea in your mind other than the "white". You want the material that will hold "shrimp oil" then just play with colors of yarn.

PS......I use that 270 shell but you could go bigger or smaller.

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"

Re: White backer - 07/02/00 12:14 PM

Thats a great idea!I seen some of those round foam things that kids use while swimming at walmart this morning.Wonder how that would work for holding oil.Has anyone tryed that? It comes in a ton of different colors. TM

[This message has been edited by Timber man (edited 07-02-2000).]

Re: White backer - 07/02/00 06:49 PM

TM:

That's the stuff........I just poke holes in the material with the same needle I use to put the Yarn in with....seems to work for me!!! The price is "cheap, cheap, cheap", you could make 100's of "rag's" out of one of those "stick things"...don't don't what they call them.....

"Worse day sport fishing, still better than the best day working"......
Posted by: Harbor_Hog

Re: White backer - 07/03/00 12:20 AM

Timber Man,
Here is my .02 on this subject. My theory is that steelhead and salmon feed on shrimp in the ocean. They get immune to them upon returning to fresh water. The shrimp are white in color and the white backer rod represents a shrimps body. The yarn represents legs or whatever. I know for a fact that the ear plugs work, but in my opinion they don't hold scent very well. The other colors mentioned, such as light pink and pink and others will work. The grey and light green I tend to stay away from though. This is just my .02 take it however you would like to.

Thanks,
Andy Matthews
Posted by: Osprey

Re: White backer - 07/03/00 11:33 AM

For 20 years I've been fishing rags ,when I started all we used was the gray the fish did'nt seem to care ,it has to do with you're yarn choice and scent .I've used the punch trick and the ear plugs also, both work fine... good luck

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish