Cutties in the salt

Posted by: SeaRun2

Cutties in the salt - 07/02/00 02:37 PM

Recently had a conversation lately with a friend. Has anyone else noticed the lack of larger Cutts in South Sound this year? Last year they were of a higher average size in our area ( Gig Harbor ) this year much smaller. Any thoughts?
Posted by: Native son

Re: Cutties in the salt - 07/03/00 09:37 AM

Sea run 2, I haven't been out yet up here in the strait but today is the day mid morning is the tide. I hope they all moved up here if they did I'll be sure and keep it to my self that way when they move back your way they won't have been over fished.
Posted by: Jake Dogfish

Re: Cutties in the salt - 07/03/00 12:01 PM

I have noticed. I think cutthroat are getting fished for heavily in the creeks and smaller streams in the area. Just about everybody uses bait, and there is alot of poaching going on.
Posted by: SeaRun2

Re: Cutties in the salt - 07/03/00 01:08 PM

I think your right Dogfish. I run into alot of peolpe on the beaches who do not know that all Cutthroat are catch and release. Many peolpe tell me that these south sound fish are hatchery in origin. There is alot of ignorance out there concerning our fish. The sea-runs are getting really popular and some of our regular haunts are no longer available because there are always people hammering them now, I hope whomever is telling them about these locations is also informing them of the laws...