Salmon Eggs

Posted by: Steelheadman

Salmon Eggs - 08/23/00 02:17 AM

Does anybody know where to get fresh coho or chinook eggs?
Posted by: RRR

Re: Salmon Eggs - 08/23/00 07:49 AM

Of course I'm sure you know the most obvious way......catch some hens. I get mine from a fish store, I think he buys most of his fish from the indi-oops, native americans. I usually call a couple of tmes so I can get there right when he's removing them from the fish. It can be a lil pricey tho, I don't remember eggzactly $2-$4/lb I've heard that some stores charge up to $5/lb! Also there are several mail order places that advertise in my favorite mag - Salmon, Trout and Steelheader. Sometimes I can talk a fishermen, I mean fisherperson, out of the eggs from their fish. Hard to believe but many times people don't want em. Hope this helps a lil. If you have a good egg cure recipe I'd love to add it to my collection

Roger

[This message has been edited by RRR (edited 08-23-2000).]
Posted by: Steelheadman

Re: Salmon Eggs - 08/23/00 08:27 AM

$2-4/lb doesn't seem too unreasonable. My buddy paid about $3/lb for some Alaskan coho eggs last year. He's been looking for some chinook eggs. His cure is 1 cup borax with 1 heaping teaspoon of non-iodized salt. I may have to go check out some of the natives that have their salmon for sale signs out.
Posted by: ramstrong

Re: Salmon Eggs - 08/23/00 11:53 AM

If you want a good egg cure look in bob's tips section. Also follow his subtle hint up with a couple of drops of sardine oil. It makes awesome eggs.