Rigging Kwikfish

Posted by: ReiterRat

Rigging Kwikfish - 10/09/00 07:18 PM

After having a horrible day for landing vs takedowns on Kwikfish,I am begining to question my methods for rigging K15's.Since most rivers have gone to single barbless hooks I have been trying different variations of rigging K15's.
I run 2 split rings off the tail with a 5/0 siwash.The double rings let the hook ride point straight up.This method usually is money,but after sponsering the "Long Live the Salmon Conservation group" with my landing percentages,I am very open to hear how you rig your kwikfish.Help a brother out.Thanks.ReiterRat
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/09/00 07:44 PM

Let the fish inhale before touching the rod,Let it slam down and count to 10 or 15 before setting hook.Goodluck, STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: Hammer Bob

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/09/00 07:56 PM

If you need to go to a single hook on your kwikfish you can clip off two of the hooks from each treble...then smash the barb down on the remaining hook. Leave the hook on the part of the treble facing down!! Not sure if this would be legal where you are fishing but I have found that this makes the flatfish or kwikfish easier to tune when compared with using single siwash hooks.
Posted by: hogtide

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/09/00 08:36 PM

Try this: Back out the screwed eye hooks. Open up the eyes.Remove treble hooks and rings. Slide on a #10 or #8 McMahhaon barrel swivels.Squeeze shut.Dab your threaded screw eyes in super glue. Screw back in.Attach a Gami 4/0 single siwash hook to both barrel swivels. Dump overboard for fun.

This is probably better than the double split ring rig. It extends the hook back further. It stops the split rings from meshing and cocking your hooks at an odd angle when back trolled. It also allows the hook to spin free with the fish during battle, eliminating any hook prying , bad angle, leverage attempt by the fish. It works well for me. I believe it has substantially increased my sack-em rate over the past 10 years. Watch me miss the next ten takedowns , now....
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/10/00 06:20 AM

RR,
I just started trying a new Kwikfish method that I've been using with excellant success on Warts for a few years now. Remove the 2 stock hooks. Put a long 1 1/4" beadchain swivel on the belly eye and the large siwash on the end of the chain. Unlike the flapping of a rear hook setup, this enables the hook to stabilize right in the strike zone so the Kings usually get it in the mouth better. With the wildly swaying back hook the fish often miss it or are marginally hooked on the jawline skin or even on the outside of their face; thus a lot of lost Kwikfish hookups. Where it's legal to use a large treble, pushtwist a large piece of backer rod down over the treble hookshank, razor shape it like a torpedo, and put the hook on the beadchain. This will keep the heavier big treble closer to a neutral bouancy so as to keep the hook right in the strike zone when using it in a little slower water. I really think this is going to be the answer to a better % landing rate with Kwikies. Let us know how this works out for you fishermen with a post here; and a success ratio report e-mailed to me would be really appreciated. Thanks. - RT
Posted by: takedown

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/10/00 03:14 PM

I have had horrible success with gami's. I switched to VMC's because from the point to the bend is longer and holds much better. I have been landing about 90 percent of the fish hooked as opposed to 20 percent with other hooks. I like the bead chain on the belley hook and a barrel swivel on the back hook.
Posted by: Coho

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/12/00 12:05 PM

Heading for 2 weeks to the 'Nince/Penn! Rigg'n the plugs/Kwikies the same as Reiter, and I too have had hit and misses. I do rig the Mags the same as Reel with the bead chain on the belly and run a 4/0 from that--it seems to be a sticky method. But, I do have a question--call me dumb, but I got to ask. Single barbless---Is 1 hook all we can have on a Kwikie? Or can we run another single barbless on the belly as well as the tail?

Thanks-Coho
Posted by: ReiterRat

Re: Rigging Kwikfish - 10/12/00 01:19 PM

Coho,
I also had this question myself so I called the WDFW at Montesano and they said that because there was a Non Bouyant Lure Restriction as well a Single Barbless Hooks
restriction (emphasis on Hooks plural),that you could rig floating lures with up to three single point barbless hooks.

This applies to rivers such as the Satsop and Hump.The Three Rivers and the Hoh you can pretty much do whatever.

These rules however, seem to be subject to the mood of the game agent's interpretation
at the time he is checking you.GO MARINERS