Duck hunt/ steelhead fish?

Posted by: Bruce(Coho@TheRefuge)

Duck hunt/ steelhead fish? - 10/25/00 12:31 PM

Anybody combine the two on a float or sled trip? If so what are some good rivers where I won't p*ss anybody off. Might be a good way to get a spot all to myself! (Ha, just kidding!) Some weekends I wish I could do both.
Posted by: Big Jim

Re: Duck hunt/ steelhead fish? - 10/25/00 11:53 PM

I have seen it on the Satsop and Nooch. I will be giving it a try hopefully soon too. The Chehalis has great duck hunting around the sloughs. Save some for me.

------------------
Just because I look big, dumb, and ugly, doesn't mean I am. It means I can stomp you for calling me it!
Posted by: TSG

Re: Duck hunt/ steelhead fish? - 10/26/00 08:30 AM

They do it quite abitt here on the Reach at hanford. Go out early and throw the deec's in and when the morning flight is over toss the Deec's in the brush and "fish on!!" Its kinda tough to fight a monster King with a boat load of decoys,, hahaha.
Bust'em up and reel"em in!!
Todd Green
Posted by: Osprey

Re: Duck hunt/ steelhead fish? - 10/26/00 04:51 PM

Bruce I'm not a Duck hunter( my chocolate Lab still won't forgive me) but I know the Nisqually reach area does pretty well for quackers and I know there are fresh chums hanging out in the salt ..the river is still ugly ..just my .02 good luck Os

------------------
Row Quietly and fish a Cataraft }<<(('>----<'))>>{
Release all Wild Fish
Posted by: Matt S.

Re: Duck hunt/ steelhead fish? - 10/26/00 06:16 PM

I agree with TSG. I've seen people do very well for ducks there and have caught steelhead there myself.
Posted by: NOFISH

Re: Duck hunt/ steelhead fish? - 10/30/00 03:46 PM

Any of you duck hunters/steelheaders ever try shooting a shotgun out of a driftboat?! The percussion is awesome, sure makes your fishin buddies grimace!

I went on a guided trip years ago down the Hoh (don't remember the guides name) and he had ole faithful hunting black lab puppy in the back.....I thought "Cool, take your dog with ya fishing"! Anyway, we get about halfway down the float and KABLOOM!!! We never saw his shotgun go in the boat before daylight, and we both about jumped out of the boat. Turns out the guide was shooting mergansers! While probably not that legal (I don't remember if he kept it or not after his lab retrieved it), I'm sure he felt like he was doing his part on predator control!