Worms and floats

Posted by: RichH

Worms and floats - 12/18/00 08:52 AM

For those that do much rubber worm fishing, when fishing slow water, do you generally get a bobber down type bit or do they play with it a bit and how long do you wait before setting the hook?

------------------
Posted by: Jigman

Re: Worms and floats - 12/18/00 01:22 PM

I fish the worm alot on a jighead below a float and have on occasion had the float tip on it's side and lay there.......that's a fish, I had it happen this morning fishing a jig. Always set the hook! Especially if you know you are fishing shallower than the bottom.
Posted by: schitzo with a berkley

Re: Worms and floats - 12/18/00 03:17 PM

HI JIGMAN,
Posted by: schitzo with a berkley

Re: Worms and floats - 12/18/00 03:21 PM

hi jigman, i was wondering if sometime if you was wanting to teach someone how to fish jig and bobber, if not its cool, cuz it goes like this, i was fishing yesterday and i was using jig and bobber but i couldnt find the depth, how do you tell how deep it is? its like i would see my bobber dunk as it hit a rock and i would push the stopper up a lil and so on and it jus got to the point where i was guessin how far i was off the bottom, but anyways i switched back to corkie and hooked a fish, i jus dont have the confidence with a jig, how long did it take you to pick up this type of fishing.. thanks **schitzo**
Posted by: hawk

Re: Worms and floats - 12/18/00 04:32 PM

Let me give you my opinion on the float thing. (Worth less than a cup of coffee in most states). There is a somewhat average depth in most of the flats you fish with a jig, as well as the deeper holes. For you to fish different parts of the hole, you may have to adjust. If you run through a hole, and hit a rock, that's fine. Adjust your drift to the inside or outside of that rock, so you can hit the areas where the fish are likely to hold. Don't be afraid to cast beyond your rock, and suck it back behind it. They'll lay in that slot too.

It isn't any different than metering mono on a fly reel for chuckin and duckin in snag infested water. You run in to a snag, bust your line, re-rig your line and strip another foot or tow in order to fish the far edge. Otherwise, shorten up your drift a couple of feet and fish the inside edge of the snag. Floats allow you to do the same thing, but you're dialed in a little more visually than drift fishing. If you run them right, you'll stay above most of your snags. Also, the fish will move up on your jig/bait, so don't be afraid to run them a little higher in the water column. Run your float in lanes, and break the water down the same way a chuck and ducker does it. If you fish it, they will come.

Jigman, your turn to take over. Sorry I intruded. Remember, you'll always catch more fish with what you keep in the water most often. It's all about confidence. Ask the Rat about yarn fishing in the mighty Pacific Northwest.
Posted by: Hugh Heffner

Re: Worms and floats - 12/18/00 06:57 PM

Jigman, I was wondering what kind of worm you use on the jig heads. I like the 4" Yamaguchi with the curly tail. I usually pinch off a little bit of the worm before I snug it up to the jig head.

Justin

Re: Worms and floats - 12/18/00 08:34 PM

I also use the Yamaguchi worm in 4" and pinch an inch off the head before I put it on the jighead. The curly tail is nice, I've had times when I've seen the fish and swung it in front of them and had them slam it. As for the depth to fish a jig below a float it comes with experience but from what I've seen you don't have to fish them very deep. I usually fish my jig around 2 feet in most holes and adjust from there. Some slots that you know are shallower you run it accordingly. The fish will usually move up quite a bit to hit them, as a general rule keep it a foot or so off the bottom and you'll get fish.
Posted by: superfly

Re: Worms and floats - 12/19/00 01:08 AM

My partner and I fish the vision worms religously, yes I am with the company but you better be able to fish em if you are going to sell em, anyways we put on a clinic with the 4 " pre-rigged ones aweek or two ago, people could not believe we were catching fish on them. We caught more than all other anglers combined, and it is brainless fishing. What happens when fishing the worms is that you usaully get train wreck strikes because that worm has entered that fishes space with out clearance! I think the light bites is bull****, it just may be a fish passing by it or hitting it with it's body. My experience in all the testing I have done is just about always a very violent take down.
Peace Superfly

Re: Worms and floats - 12/19/00 10:08 PM

Look for a tip on fishing the pink worm below a float from Rainbow Jigs in the next issue of Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine.
Posted by: Hugh Heffner

Re: Worms and floats - 12/20/00 02:42 AM

Rainbow jigs sent me a catalog and wouldn't you know it, but I accidentally stapled it to the back of my X-Mas wish list and even did the courtesy of highlighting the jigs that I want. Let's just hope my girlfriend clues in on it.

Justin
CEO, Sauk River Steelhead Ranch