Getting ready for Blackmouth in Feb!

Posted by: Rookie Fisher

Getting ready for Blackmouth in Feb! - 12/21/00 02:48 AM

This will be my first attempt at blackmouth in the winter. I live in the Everett area. I've heard that Hat Island is a good place to be as well as the west side of Camano Island.

Can anybody verify this? what time? Do you troll with or against the tide or does it make a difference?

Also, I'm wondering about bait holders for herring...any preferences?
Posted by: Beezer

Re: Getting ready for Blackmouth in Feb! - 12/21/00 01:49 PM

Posted by: escapee

Re: Getting ready for Blackmouth in Feb! - 12/21/00 06:45 PM

The recetrack would be a good place to try except that area is closed this year for winter salmon fishing! You must remember that you can't go fishing anywhere in this state anymore without reading the regs first. You might need a lawyer to help you understand everything, I do. The area farther west, out by Baby Island and Greenbank is a good bet for blackmouth. If the weather permits I usually fish at Posession Point. When it was open earlier this year I went out a few times and had real good luck with 5 inch Silver Horde plugs. There are too many shakers to use bait, and the plugs tend to hook the bigger fish more than the little ones. I tried using flashers and squid or spoons but I couldn't troll for more than a couple hundred feet without getting a shaker. That gets old real quick when you are using downriggers, even if they are electric. Good Luck!