The Upper Quinault???

Posted by: Robert Allen3

The Upper Quinault??? - 12/21/00 08:20 PM

Last year i took my first trip to the OP it amazed me how much water there was and how UNcrowded it was. I also fished the Queets and there were a few more people out but i didnt think it was overcrowded by any streatch of the imagination.. Anyway i am wondering if anybody knows much about the upper quinault? espeically relating to peak run timing and the quantity of fish. thanks in advance
Posted by: Skydrifter1

Re: The Upper Quinault??? - 12/22/00 02:13 AM

The best time to fish the Upper Quinault is starting Febuary and March for some big natives.If you have a boat be careful it changes all the time.It's also the first river to come back after a storm and in a couple of days of cold weather it's running gin clear.Another thing watch out for the Oneil "clan" guide service they think they own the upper Quinault they love to get into boat races just let them go .
Posted by: riverswild

Re: The Upper Quinault??? - 12/22/00 07:40 AM

I have to agree with Bill on all accounts. It only takes a day or so to drop into shape after a blow out.

Public access can be tough though. If you are into catch and release there are a few great spots up at Graves Creek.

There are a few nice holes below Big Creek (where the South Shore Rd. was washed out), but don't tresspass. Carlson and Lutz bought a piece that runs from the base of the hill to the park boundary and they have been real turds about it. "Stay in the water."

During elk season I watched some of the "Oneil" boys/nephews (teenagers) snagging salmon just above Pruce Boys Rd. When I asked if they were having any luck they showed me a couple of small jacks on a stringer. I said that they looked foul hooked and that they should let them bite the hook before setting it. They got a little pissy and said, "Don't you know who we are? We are Oneils and no one tells us how to fish."

------------------
"Just Say No To Sovereign Nations!"

[This message has been edited by riverswild (edited 12-22-2000).]
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: The Upper Quinault??? - 12/22/00 01:36 PM

Amen on the O'niel brothers and family.Don't
let them get to ya,they aren't worth the energy it takes.Ignore them.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE