River Nutrients

Loc: Sequim

WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

March 24, 2017

Chehalis River will not open for spring chinook fishing

Action: The Chehalis River will remain closed to salmon fishing and will not open to fishing for spring chinook on April 16 as scheduled in the 2016-17 Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet.

Effective dates: April 16 through June 30, 2017.

Location: Chehalis River, from the mouth (Hwy 101 Bridge) to the Hwy 6 Bridge in the town of Adna (Grays Harbor/Thurston/Lewis counties).

Reason for action: The forecast for spring chinook returning to the Chehalis River basin is less than the number of fish needed to meet conservation objectives (spawning escapement goal).

Other Information: Steelhead and other gamefish fisheries will remain as described in the 2016-17 Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet.

Information Contact: Mike Scharpf, Region 6, (360) 249-1205.

#975496 - 03/25/17 10:17 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: bushbear]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
I guess this means the QN can pick up the catch.

#975500 - 03/25/17 10:56 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: laterun]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

QIN take few Springers. If I recall the highest the QIN hit in the last 20 years is 66. Past ten years below 20 a year and only 7 last year.. So your wrong ( sorry ) but right ( yea ) at the same time. Right church wrong pew as it is the Chehalis tribe that has the greatest impacts.

Now the so called QIN Springer fishery is not a Springer fishery but rather a sturgeon fishery called by a inaccurate misleading title.

#975539 - 03/26/17 09:50 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: bushbear]
laterun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Napavine,Washington
Thank you for the info ,I stand corrected.

#975559 - 03/27/17 05:32 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: laterun]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Heavens no big deal. In fact lets do the learning bit for all at our expense. If one gets what is known as the preseason forecast model ( for Chehalis ) for each salmon species & Steelhead all the information is in it. By information it is history of everything in the RR tab ( run reconstructions ) plus the technical side of things also.

So many times folks will say things like the tribe is taking to many steelhead or more than their share ( GH here folks ) of salmon. It certainly would appear like that on the water but it may or may not be true. So the historical data contained in the preseason forecast model Chehalis or Hump ( Hump has its own model ) is pretty much required reading.

So at my expense. One does not think I remember all this crap? Nope but I can read so each year I request the updated preseason forecast model by species. One is good to go on historical data built into things then. Pretty much required reading for me.

Edited by Rivrguy (03/27/17 05:34 AM)

#975562 - 03/27/17 06:58 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: bushbear]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Good idea Rivrguy. That historic education (institutional memory) is both fragile and required. We have to know where we were to understand how we got where we are.

Often, as you note, it is easier to blame "them", whomever that is, than to understand the history.

I remember sitting through weekly in-season Fraser sockeye meetings. The first half of the day was the last week's data put into a century of historical context as "in 1953 this is what happened on this cycle but in 1973 this occurred." By the time the Commissioner/Panelists had to make a management decision they had all the information looked at from every which way.

#975565 - 03/27/17 08:01 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: bushbear]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Grays Harbor Fisheries Discussion

6 p.m. to 8 p.m.; Montesano City Hall, 112 N Main St., Montesano.
Public discussion of management objectives and preliminary options for Grays Harbor. Fishery management objectives and preliminary fishing opportunities for 2017 are discussed.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#975653 - 03/28/17 08:53 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: bushbear]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
Doc, what day?

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

#975656 - 03/28/17 09:13 AM Re: Chehalis River won't open for spring Chinook [Re: Misguided]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

He is at work but tonight the 28th.

Edited by Rivrguy (03/28/17 09:13 AM)

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
landcruiserwilly, Tom Trune
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (wolverine, DrifterWA), 1083 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645372 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |