Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#999028 - 12/18/18 07:27 PM Farmed Atlantic salmon disease
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
How much longer do we have to tolerate this BS? I wouldn't eat this Atlantic salmon garbage if it was free.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-new...e-in-past-year/

Edited by large edward (12/18/18 07:30 PM)

#999056 - 12/19/18 09:04 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Then I guess you won't be eating salmon in the coming decades. Its insane to me that anyone thinks we can have a sustainable commercial harvest of pacific salmon.

Atlantic cod commercial harvest is banned. Only after destroying the resource.

Market hunting banned. Only after destroying the resource.

I'm sure this time we will get it right....

The fact of the matter is that most of the snowflakes bitching about farms are or supported by commercial fishing lobbyist (both first nations and not).

There are two reason for this.

They need a scapegoat to blame the declining runs on.

Aquaculture has cut into their bottom line. Right now commercial fishermen are getting 50-80% of what they would have made in the 80s. At the worst (in the early 2000's) they were making 25-50%.

Source.

https://pubs.iseralaska.org/media/4f35492a-0279-4d98-a22b-1ff7e593c6bc/2007_01-GreatSalmonRun.pdf

#999057 - 12/19/18 09:18 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

double post.

Edited by the_chemist (12/19/18 09:19 AM)

#999065 - 12/19/18 10:27 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: the_chemist]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: the_chemist
Then I guess you won't be eating salmon in the coming decades. Its insane to me that anyone thinks we can have a sustainable commercial harvest of pacific salmon.

Atlantic cod commercial harvest is banned. Only after destroying the resource.

Market hunting banned. Only after destroying the resource.

I'm sure this time we will get it right....

The fact of the matter is that most of the snowflakes bitching about farms are or supported by commercial fishing lobbyist (both first nations and not).

There are two reason for this.

They need a scapegoat to blame the declining runs on.

Aquaculture has cut into their bottom line. Right now commercial fishermen are getting 50-80% of what they would have made in the 80s. At the worst (in the early 2000's) they were making 25-50%.

Source.

https://pubs.iseralaska.org/media/4f35492a-0279-4d98-a22b-1ff7e593c6bc/2007_01-GreatSalmonRun.pdf

If you are not totally disgusted by the fish processing pollution from net pen processing plants (as well as the pollution from the net pens themselves) going on in Vancouver then you are totally clueless. Check out the vids. Lots of us "snowflakes" get upset with shi* poured into our waterways and have NO connection with commercial fishing. Paint all concerned fisherfolk with a broad stroke brush, why don't you? Bob R

#999069 - 12/19/18 10:42 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
BW Offline
Spawner

Loc: LAKEWOOD,WA,USA
Never the less he is correct. The alternative to no net pens is the continued netting of salmon. We in the west that like to fish hate both. But the time is going to come when we will need to make a choice.

The people back east the want to buy fish from the store have no idea what the difference is.

Yes, they need to work on the process, and address pollution. But the option without them is fewer fish for sportsman to catch.

Make you choice.

#999070 - 12/19/18 10:50 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: BW]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: BW
Never the less he is correct. The alternative to no net pens is the continued netting of salmon. We in the west that like to fish hate both. But the time is going to come when we will need to make a choice.

The people back east the want to buy fish from the store have no idea what the difference is.

Yes, they need to work on the process, and address pollution. But the option without them is fewer fish for sportsman to catch.

Make you choice.

You don't have to go East. Not too long ago I watched a Seattle TV segment taste testing ocean raised Chinook against pen raised Atlantic. They picked folks out of the audience and most of them preferred the Atlantic.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#999071 - 12/19/18 10:51 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
bobrr
Unregistered

Unless they clean up their act it's still a no-go. I don't want to see that crap going on no matter WHAT the justification. Unless that changes don't even discuss it. Bob R

#999084 - 12/19/18 01:05 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Just to be clear, the same stuff at the bottom of an AS pen is found under all of the delayed-release pens. Discharge pipes from up land hatcheries don't spew pure drinking water, either.

#999085 - 12/19/18 01:12 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: the_chemist]
large edward Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Brier, WA
Originally Posted By: the_chemist

The only salmon I eat are the fish I catch by actually going sportfishing. You should try it sometime, even if it's just for the experience of separating yourself from sitting behind your keyboard.

#999089 - 12/19/18 01:38 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Just to be clear, the same stuff at the bottom of an AS pen is found under all of the delayed-release pens. Discharge pipes from up land hatcheries don't spew pure drinking water, either.

Nor do most of our sanitary sewer treatment facilities let alone Victoria where they (only) strain out most of the non-bio materials.

Also, those delayed release pens operate for much shorter periods of time each year and with far fewer fish/poundage in them than as with the AS pens.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#999119 - 12/19/18 08:14 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The pens do operate for less time. But, fish [Bleeeeep!] is still fish [Bleeeeep!] as well as uneaten food and antibiotics. Just saying that the issues associated with wastewater discharge are pretty broad and not well dealt with.

#999122 - 12/19/18 09:44 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: BW]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: BW

Make you choice.

Ten years later, more from Knapp here...

https://craigmedred.news/2018/07/22/adapt-or-die/

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#999123 - 12/19/18 10:07 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

MBA Seafood Watch recommendations for chinook salmon...

https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/groups/salmon?type=chinook&q=Salmon,%20Chinook&t=salmon&o=1161522208,1160460515#tab=seafood-watch

Not sure the average salmon consumer can even decipher any of that.

The most discerning ones see something real pretty on ice and tell the guy at the counter, "I'll take a couple pounds."

Most probably subscribe to the attitude "Salmon is salmon, it's supposed to be good for you right?"

In my lifetime, I hope to just be able to keep getting a quality fish for the table the old fashioned way...

It will be a SAD day when this seasonal ritual comes to an end.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#999125 - 12/19/18 10:34 PM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Short term tech:
Aquaculture

Long term tech:
Lab salmon. Grow & print em' in a dish. We have the early tech now.

Lab steak. YUM!

Keep in mind, that is a whole muscle steak, not some mushy lab meat that looks like burger. A "steak". Printed today. That is mind-blowing in it's own right. In 15 - 25 years, we will be able to literally print & cook food & complete meals on demand (made to order) at grocery stores and restaurants. Common raw base materials or "ingredients" will come in large "print cartridges" much like bulk soda syrup boxes today. The printer reads the request and viola! Printed salmon with capers and béarnaise sauce.

We put a man on the moon. One would think we could figure out fish. whistle

#1003192 - 02/11/19 11:47 AM Re: Farmed Atlantic salmon disease [Re: large edward]
Jake Dogfish Offline
Spawner

Loc: Des Moines
Those Atlantic’s still are not worth [Bleeeeep!] because there are still a few Salmon left. They are only here to spread disease and eliminate the competition.
Otherwise they would farm somewhere else where it was cheaper!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
m_ray, Str8nr
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 178 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645368 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |