LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1007269 - 04/16/19 05:21 PM You are NOT alone...
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1007275 - 04/16/19 07:37 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: eyeFISH]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

All must share in the pain...….Alaska needs to step up to the plate, do their part....

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1007284 - 04/16/19 08:48 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
From what I have seen from up north, I am not sure AK will do much cutting back as it is not their problem, in their view. If BC and WA want more Chinook for SRKWs, then they can stop fishing. Most of what I have seen is that if AK doesn't kill them, BC or WA will.

Fair lack of trust out there.

#1007375 - 04/17/19 01:45 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: eyeFISH]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Looks like the commercials took the hardest hit. Ouch.

Now, if AK and WA follow suit, we might save an orca or two, and put a few more chinook on the gravel. That's a big if....

#1007398 - 04/17/19 05:55 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: DrifterWA]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: DrifterWA

All must share in the pain...….Alaska needs to step up to the plate, do their part....

Maybe you should go to ADF&G website and check their EO's and News Releases! Lots of closures now in SE and SC too! Might not be to the expectations of many down here but it is a start! BTW rumor has it they might start charging a fee on all the out of state fish that stray and show up in the Northern Pacific and graze in their pasture!

Edited by OLD FB (04/17/19 06:18 PM)

#1007406 - 04/17/19 07:01 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: eyeFISH]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
That fee idea is, unfortunately, not so far fetched. Back in the 90s, I think, BC put together a position paper that took the positions that since BC preserved habitat for spawning salmon that they should reap the bulk of the benefits from production by those stocks. AK (Jeff Koenings) wrote that AK should get the primary benefits because they were protecting the ocean habitat. This may have before the Exxon Valdez.....

#1007411 - 04/17/19 07:54 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: eyeFISH]
SeaDNA Offline
Returning Adult

On the bright side, I believe our seasons were set without modeling in the lack of West Coast VCI commercial fishing until August. That should help the Grays Harbor and Columbia river returns considerably.

Edited by SeaDNA (04/18/19 06:28 AM)
Edit Reason: correct spelling

#1007412 - 04/17/19 07:57 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: Carcassman]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Alaska has serious problems with their own Chinook stocks. They are shaping/restricting their fisheries to reduce exploitation on them. They have "spring" type stocks with higher prevalence in inside marine waters. They only rarely not harvest to the limit as provided in the PST though they do so the last two years I think. The biggest cuts have been to winter troll and inside waters fisheries in SEAK. The traditional summer fishery (eg Sitka) are outside waters fisheries that catch more BC and So U.S. stocks.

#1007418 - 04/17/19 09:17 PM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: darth baiter]
OLD FB Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Stanwood WA
Originally Posted By: darth baiter
Alaska has serious problems with their own Chinook stocks. They are shaping/restricting their fisheries to reduce exploitation on them. They have "spring" type stocks with higher prevalence in inside marine waters. They only rarely not harvest to the limit as provided in the PST though they do so the last two years I think. The biggest cuts have been to winter troll and inside waters fisheries in SEAK. The traditional summer fishery (eg Sitka) are outside waters fisheries that catch more BC and So U.S. stocks.

Good Intel and spot on for the information you shared tonight! Go to ADF&G website and look for EO and News Releases to the info they are putting out!

#1007441 - 04/18/19 08:55 AM Re: You are NOT alone... [Re: eyeFISH]
ericl Offline
Alevin

Somewhat dated info but I doubt catch distribution has changed much:

http://wildfishconservancy.org/about/pre...ition-1999-2010

About 3% of the Chinook they catch originate in AK.

I had high hopes for the new PST Chinook treaty as many scientists believe the "aggregate abundance" harvest method is wiping out endangered stocks. Nothing seems to have changed sadly.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |