Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1007313 - 04/17/19 08:12 AM BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US
ericl Offline
Alevin

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-...cG3-7V43v-lQ7g4

Most Puget Sound Chinook rear in these closed waters. BC Commercial trollers will be shut-down coast-wide til August, so good news for all of our state.

#1007320 - 04/17/19 09:38 AM Re: BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US [Re: ericl]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
While it may let some more of our fish make it back to our waters, and it will certainly be interesting to see its effect if we can get some good numbers come next fall, I feel terrible for the folks up there that make their livelihood on the rec fishing industry. The offshore closure for much of the summer is going to really make it tough for a lot of good people. And it doesn't look temporary,

fb

#1007334 - 04/17/19 11:43 AM Re: BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US [Re: ericl]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It will be interesting to see what happens to the fish "saved" in BC. I suspect that the driver up there is two-fold. One is to recover Fraser Chinook and the other is to feed SRKWs. If the saved Chinook just get transferred to catch down here, it will prove AK's claim that the arguments over the marine mixed stock fishery are about moving catch around rather than conservation. Be very interesting to see how it all shakes out.

#1007371 - 04/17/19 01:36 PM Re: BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US [Re: ericl]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

As long as the fish "saved" don't end up in other harvest quotas, this should be a big deal. Were AK's quotas/seasons reduced in kind? If not, this seems to put an unfair burden on the BC commercials, as fishbadger mentioned. Oh, well. As long as this puts more salmon on gravel beds or in orca bellies, it's a big step in the right direction.

#1007374 - 04/17/19 01:41 PM Re: BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US [Re: ericl]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
The rec's took a big hit in BC as well, all along that migratory corridor. No chinook retention til mid-late July on the highway.

fb

#1007396 - 04/17/19 05:11 PM Re: BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US [Re: ericl]
eddie Offline
Carcass

Loc: Valencia, Negros Oriental, Phi...
If we continue to look at allowable harvest as being good for us, we are just delaying the inevitable, IMHO.

R.P. McMurphy - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

#1007437 - 04/18/19 08:45 AM Re: BC Chinook regs out; looks good for US [Re: ericl]
ericl Offline
Alevin

It's not about harvesting these additional fish. It's about increased numbers of wild fish spawning; in general BC does not have any "clipped-fish-only" fisheries.

The SEAK troll seasons seem unchanged as to start date & quota.

For the Northern BC trollers although the start date is Aug 20 (about 2 months later than usual) I haven't seen any info on Chinook quota reductions.

FYI, it appears my referenced announcement is for public info only; actual "Fisheries Notices" that provide quota & season details have yet to be released. Also unknown at this point is any SRKW specific closures as this info is advertized as "Fraser River Chinook" measures.

Back in the day most folks waited til about mid August to hit WCVI anyway for the large Stamp river run.

No doubt this will be a huge impact on business; just like our area is not like it was back in the 60's when boathouses/bait shops lined the Sound & Westport had in excess of 100 charter boats.

I am fairly luck in that my mom came from the school of hard knocks, so realizing that life is not fair has come to me at long last.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (Excitable Bob, 1 invisible), 1098 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |