Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1026992 - 03/27/20 01:34 AM Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Saw a post about spawning herring and eggs on FB a week or so ago. I know a few members have seen this. Looks positive that they are spawning in record numbers. Unsure how this compares with past spawning cycles. Herring spawning

#1026996 - 03/27/20 08:13 AM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Steelheadman]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Great news! Maybe it's because everyone is staying home, not polluting? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know how much we affect the environment.

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/coronavirus/venice-canals-clear-dolphins-swim-italy-lockdown/

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod...avirus-outbreak

#1027039 - 03/27/20 12:07 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: RUNnGUN]
WN1A Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle
More than herring will be making a comeback.

Herring Worms

#1027042 - 03/27/20 12:53 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Steelheadman]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Yuk! Have seen them before. Wonder if their increase, and them thriving inside marine mammals can be correlated with the population increase in pinniped's since the 70's?

#1027070 - 03/27/20 03:39 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Steelheadman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

The abundance of parasite populations is directly linked to the health of the populations of their host vectors.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1027085 - 03/27/20 05:32 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: eyeFISH]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
The abundance of parasite populations is directly linked to the health of the populations of their host vectors.

Inversely? As in, poor nutrition of Orcas means more susceptible to parasites?

Or, with a high population of hosts (think pinnipeds) and their lack of social distancing there will be a higher incidence of parasites?

Or both??

Edited by Larry B (03/27/20 05:32 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1027132 - 03/28/20 11:49 AM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: WN1A]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
I'll have to test my jar of Poulsbo pickled herring from New Day Fishery for worms. Red Apple used to make their own that was pretty good.

#1027135 - 03/28/20 12:05 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Larry B]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Larry B

Or, with a high population of hosts (think pinnipeds) and their lack of social distancing there will be a higher incidence of parasites?

agree

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1027140 - 03/28/20 01:03 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: WN1A]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: WN1A
More than herring will be making a comeback.

Herring Worms

Shad and pink salmon are loaded with anisakis also. In the end, it's all just extra protein for the consuming person if they cook the fish.

#1027145 - 03/28/20 01:21 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: cheapskate]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Found quite a few of these parasites in Lake Washington sockeye and Cedar River steelhead, back in the day. Also found some in the guts of smelt I was cleaning. Maybe sushi makers can spot the worms in fish flesh, but aren't these worms laying eggs as they migrate through their host. SPAM sushi...the only way to go!

#1027149 - 03/28/20 02:06 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Steelheadman]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

What are the signs and symptoms?

The signs and symptoms of anisakiasis are abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal distention, diarrhea, blood and mucus in stool, and mild fever. Allergic reactions with rash and itching, and infrequently, anaphylaxis, can also occur.

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1027156 - 03/28/20 07:02 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Steelheadman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
So who is still eating raw spot shrimp??

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1027161 - 03/28/20 09:39 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Larry B]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Originally Posted By: Larry B
So who is still eating raw spot shrimp??

ME! ME! ME!

Oooooh... oooh... pick me, pick me!

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1027169 - 03/29/20 11:43 AM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: Steelheadman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

Herring on the rebound ???? Watch out, WDFW with its MSY philosophy, will allow the Herring commercial fleet to "net more". I hope not but given the history in this State...well time will tell.

Stay safe, health is so important !!!!!!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1027176 - 03/29/20 02:16 PM Re: Herring Making a Comeback in Salish Sea [Re: eyeFISH]
Ward Offline
Parr

Thanks, Doc. I quit reading after the part of diagnosis by gastroscopic exam. sick

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 1078 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645298 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |