Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1034364 - 07/10/20 08:26 PM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
4.0 GPA’s are not hard to obtain. It is more about work ethic than intelligence. If people applied themselves effectively a lot of people are capable of achieving it. Many of the smartest people on the planet did not have 4.0 GPA’s.

#1034370 - 07/11/20 09:17 AM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: Jason Beezuz]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Jason Beezuz
Another failing of education I saw, that is both libtarded and Ayn Randian in its principles, was the Highly Capable Learners Group. What a great way to make all the smart kids insufferable and feel special about themselves and all the ordinary kids think they were dumb. I honestly know that the Highly Capable Learners program did more harm to the smart kids than good.

I remember people saying that their intelligent child shouldn’t be distracted by the unitelligent and what not. Well real life is all about dealing with all types of people so raising kids in a bubble of other smart kids is not readying them for anything at all.

A failing from your point of view perhaps, Jason, but the only bit of brightness for students who otherwise found school dull and an unproductive use of their time. My two daughters were in a one day a week elementary school pull out program for gifted and talented students. It was the one day each week they weren't bored stiff with school. I don't know if it made them insufferable, and I don't care. I know that it presented them with academic challenge and opportunity that otherwise wasn't available to them.

True, one of the elementary teachers I highly respected was opposed to the program. He was of the "every student is special" mindset. Yes, but they are not all equally gifted academically. Consequently, both my daughters took honors and AP classes whenever possible when they reached high school. The funny upshot there is that they didn't graduate with 4.0 gpas. The classes were challenging enough that they ended up with 3.9-something instead. Still, academic records like that gained them acceptance to selective colleges and universities: Smith - 14% of applicants accepted, Stanford - 14%, and Wesleyan - 8%. Not a bad outcome for public school education that spends a token amount for academically gifted students.

I find it hard to see the harm that their educations did them. Fair or not, degrees from selective schools open career doors that degrees from state universities don't. One thing you're right about, with their educations and experience, they aren't well suited to working with people outside the "bubble" of other intelligent people. So they don't.

#1034391 - 07/11/20 11:23 PM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Jimmy was always defined by the fact he was half black.

Is it wrong to call a person that is half black...........half white?

Interesting you never hear that way.

#1034399 - 07/12/20 10:14 AM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
RICH G
Unregistered

public school and college are [Bleeeeep!], I did both and can tell you neither is worth a chit. I scraped by, did not do my homework, barely paid attention and got a 2.4 GPA.

I went to college because the department of the navy paid for it, in order to keep my job I had to get a C average. Once I moved on from that job I never considered finishing college. I needed 10 credits to finish my associates. Form the few years that I took classes I could tell that I wanted nothing to do with the people who foolishly spent their money for a worthless piece of paper, so that they could be a member of a [Bleeeeep!] club that condones discrimination against people who did not purchase the "piece of paper".

Soon enough college degrees will have zero value and universities will be exposed as the frauds that they are.

#1034400 - 07/12/20 10:20 AM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
RICH G
Unregistered

I have told both of my kids that I don't care about school, just get through it, go through the motions and be done with it, keep them off your back and just nod your head. If you want to drop out and get a job go for it but neither did that. I told them do what you want with your life but don't take out debt, don't enslave yourself.

The best thing you can do is pay cash for a house or pay it off as soon as you can so that you can make the choices you want in life. If you own a place to live you do not have to take chit from anyone, you do not have to keep a job you hate or stay in a bad situation, you always can tell them to shove it if you are not dependent.

#1034401 - 07/12/20 10:30 AM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
RICH G
Unregistered

I am in the process of building my oldest daughter her own house right now, my gift to her so that she will always have her very own place no matter what happens. Not a big house, 1 bedroom 400 SF, but easily could build on a second bedroom.

Get this, I am doing it myself, the entire thing, saw'd the framing lumber and siding, about to put the roof on in the next week. I have all the materials to get windows and doors in and totally sealed up. Got some free stuff and some really good deals but we are into it about $3200 right now. Still need insulation for the walls and cielling, wiring stuff and fixtures and sheet rock. Total cost with electricity, water and sewer is going to come in at under $10,000. Not kidding, I am in the construction business, if you were to build the same thing with permits it would be over $170,000.

regarding free or almost free stuff, I got 52 sheets, 14 foot x 16 inch snap lock metal roofing for 200 bucks, most of it brand new. From a retired state parks employee who salvaged it from work, he was selling a boat trailer for $200 bucks but you had to take the roofing as part of the deal. People wanted the boat trailer but no one wanted the roofing.

Doing the entire thing myself, I may hire a guys to help with installing skylights and help with finish sheet rock but that is it.

Edited by RICH G (07/12/20 10:37 AM)

#1034402 - 07/12/20 10:44 AM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: ]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: extremesteelhead
Every student is special. Every student can he educated to be equally intelligent. Every student can he educated to be equally tall. The stated purpose of our education system according to the teachers union is to promote an equal society. Having gifted programs is counter productive to that stated goal. Every parent wants their child to be the best but that is just white supremacy and white privilege. Nobody should do any better than the dumbest person in the class. Also keep in mind that we mainstream the mentally retarded, so the dumbest person is a literal retard. If you want your kid to do better than a literal retard, this is white privilege and you are a hate bigot classist sexist white supremacist.

Something like that. My kids are enjoying their white privilege working with other whites, blacks, Hispanic, Indian-Americans, Chinese Americans, and Japanese Americans, and Korean Americans who managed to clear the hurdles of dumb in public schooling.

#1034403 - 07/12/20 10:45 AM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I really do believe that in Rich G's case, school and college, public or private, would be a waste. He is so much more accomplished as an ignoramus.

#1034410 - 07/12/20 03:59 PM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Going to a lower rated public school has been a mixed blessing for my kids so far. Because they are smarter and more determined than most of the other students, they pretty much get first choice at anything they want. Because the school routinely scores low and has many low income students, money flows in. On the flip side, the AP classes my daughter took were as hard or harder than any college class I took. In the end they have to be, or the students will not pass the test required at the end to get their college credit. Same test state wide, so when a student scores well, you know it is against all the other "higher class" schools. Same with the high SAT Scores. One of my son's classmates was accepted to West Point last year, so it isn't like a top end school is not possible.
I doubt half the options available to them would not be possible at some of the higher rated schools, as the competition would be that much more intense. PLU is offering any student from their school a guaranteed free ride, provided they get the grades to get in. My daughter wants to go out of state, but other wise it probably would about a $45,000 benefit. With everything going the way it is, she probably will get a free ride anyways, but the PLU option is pretty incredible. The school is also incredibly diverse, so my kids have no problem getting along with anyone.

#1034413 - 07/12/20 08:22 PM Re: Everyone Gets A Trophy [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: RICH G
public school and college are [Bleeeeep!], I did both and can tell you neither is worth a chit. I scraped by, did not do my homework, barely paid attention
It's obvious ,dude.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 345 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645367 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |