Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1045821 - 01/13/21 02:50 PM Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats
homesick in san diego Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SoCal
First time building a rod. Wondering bout split reel seats -- I have always had full cork grips; usually with 13 3/4" rear grip. Would like to know what advantages (and disadvantages) of split versus full reel seats. If I decide to go with the split design am lookin at Fuji SK2s.

Gonna be a spinning rod w/Fuji KR Concept guides on an 8' 6" medium heavy G1000 blank.

Thanx fer takin the time to read and, hopefully reply.

Take care and stay safe
Roger

#1045822 - 01/13/21 03:09 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
homesick in san diego Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: SoCal
Most rod building forums that I've found are bass oriented with a few surfcastin ones. If anyone knows of one that leans more toward the trinity of Salmon Trout & Steelhead I'd really appreciate hearing about em.

Possible advantages of split reel seats:
Better feel due to exposed blank?
More sensitive due to less weight?
Less fatiguing due to less weight?

Disadvantages:
Less comfortable than cork
More fatiguing due to being colder and possible hand/wrist/elbow aches & pains.

I'm leaning towards full cork Fuji DPSS but am curious about the SK2s

Happy New Year
Take care
Roger

#1045823 - 01/13/21 03:18 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

with a casting rod it would give u fingers to the blank,(which i like) now a spinning rod i really couldn't tell u cause i have never used a split grip on one.. But i would say the same finger to the blank u could feel a bite better..and it is smaller in diameter tighter grip..

good luck with your rod build.. iv'e done alot of them some i like some i end up takeing apart and doing over i got in to much of a hurry..

mainly region 6

#1045828 - 01/13/21 05:21 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: steely slammer]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

If I were to suggest any spinning reel seat it would be an American Tackle Aero seat. They are incredible . If you use the compressed carbon tech model you will have a bad ass looking set up and sensitive as you need it to be,ergonomically comfortable,and your friends will get jealous. I will post up a photo of a rod I am building. I will also pm you with some links to help you along your journey. Good luck with a new addiction. My friends all say I have too many rods now lol.

#1045829 - 01/13/21 05:35 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Sorry for the poor lighting. This is the American Tackle CCT aero ,size 16. The handle is the AmerIcan Tackle G2 handle system. Bushido Matte Black,black trim ring. I am building this for a specific reel,a 3000 Daiwa BG on a Lamiglas Certified Pro Mag Taper 10-20 blank. As you can see there is a winding check on there,it's a tricky way I did it ,and there are hundreds of ways to do things,sky is the limit,it's your rod! This one is awaiting my shipment of epoxy to get here for the final stages.

#1045879 - 01/14/21 11:20 AM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
I've been getting away from cork too, tough to find good stuff anymore, and the composites have some advantages. ArvidB, do those aero seats from AmTak hold up over the years, any durability reviews? That gives me some ideas.

Homesick, what's the technique application for your spinning rod build in the world of STS fishing? I have a couple off-the-shelf split grip spinning rods that I use for light duty saltwater fishing, and they work out OK, but they are not steelhead worthy, and I haven't built one like that yet. I don't know if I can see the advantage in most of the anadromous river fishing applications I do, as I just don't need that much weight control and sensitivity frankly. Also, my concern, with any whoopin stick of consequence, you might actually want some weight in the rear grip to balance it right. I've built a few rods trying to cut weight and components, and turned out to be poorly balanced rigs that are annoying to fish with, so they sit in a heap in my closet. I can see the exposed blank thing being advantageous, of course, and I build most of my medium wt casting setups that way. What are you going to do with this rod?

fb

#1045882 - 01/14/21 11:23 AM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I built a Tennessee handle using a tubular graphite handle and Fuji Camlock rings.
The nice thing about Tennessee is that you can move the reel anywhere along the handle to get the balance you want.
And a by-product is that you get a comfortable, full diameter grip.

If you build a fixed seat, you need to do a mock-up with the reel to be used and install your seat accordingly.

I don't see the Camlocks in stock anywhere...may have been DC-ed ?

To get the idea, here's a pic of the cork version with a ring set that I'm not familiar with.

#1045901 - 01/14/21 01:04 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: fishbadger]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: fishbadger
I've been getting away from cork too, tough to find good stuff anymore, and the composites have some advantages. ArvidB, do those aero seats from AmTak hold up over the years, any durability reviews? That gives me some ideas.

Those seats are excellent,tried tested and true. And comfortable,maybe the best I've ever used. On a conventional outfit the Alps MVT is the cat's meow! I love cork and got my hands on some of the old wiebe handles with the wood inserts,great 90s cork! But I have really gotten used to carbon grips and will likely never deviate from that from here on out. If you build correctly there will be zero failures. And I fish hard.

#1045902 - 01/14/21 01:05 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: Direct-Drive]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive

To get the idea, here's a pic of the cork version with a ring set that I'm not familiar with.

Like the old ul trout rods from fenwick. Love em!

#1045935 - 01/14/21 08:26 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: ]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker
Originally Posted By: fishbadger

But I have really gotten used to carbon grips and will likely never deviate from that from here on out. If you build correctly there will be zero failures. And I fish hard.

+1 on that,
fb

#1045968 - 01/15/21 10:45 AM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
Denham Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Maple Valley
Personally I'm a huge fan of the Fuji SK2 spinning seats. They're super comfortable and great for a light weight build.

Not a fan of the Amtak seat but thats only because I my rod with 3 fingers in front of the reel stem so they seat doesn't really line up with my palm.

#1045978 - 01/15/21 12:44 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
01/15/2021

In the old days, when I couldn't afford to buy a Lamiglas or Loomis rod....I'd order "rod kits" from Netcraft. I still have 2 of the rods I built.

Would I do that again???? I think not..... I was at my local Bi-Mart store, in the rod section there were casting and spinning rods, different lengths. The prices were between $59 - $79. They looked good, weren't that heavy, had both type of handle material.

I have the $450.00 13' foot custom made....yea they are light and fun to float fish with BUT they really don't catch that many more fish.

I also have Shimano and Shakespeare 10.5', that I've used for summer run and Coho jacks....... cost years ago was under $70.

In the future I see less opportunity for "sport fishing".....Rods under a $100 might be the was to go?????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1045987 - 01/15/21 02:31 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: DrifterWA]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

To me rod building is just one of my many hobbies. I love doing it. I own several guitars but nobody here wants to hear me play for more than 10 minutes especially my neighbors rofl. Catching fish has never been the main driving force behind fishing for me. I love it,and when I catch a beautiful wild steelhead I thank mother nature for providing me with the same thrill I got as a kid stalking bass and panfish in the local pond.

Having high end gear is a joy to fish. If you are building fishing rods to save money I can't help anyone there. I like to spend money.

#1046092 - 01/17/21 12:38 PM Re: Rod build Q --Split versus full reel seats [Re: homesick in san diego]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Ha, yeah same here, my DIY rods cost me twice as much, and when I break one it hurts 10x as much,
fb

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (Carcassman, Salmo g., 1 invisible), 1070 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645299 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |