Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav.

Posted by: r2fishn

Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 06:54 PM

I use both mostly 12s &14s as I fish with small tuffs of yarn most the time .
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 07:06 PM

For me it depends on the size lure I want to use. If going small or medium, I use corkies, if large I use cheaters hooked up backwards to increase wobble.
Posted by: GBL

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 07:23 PM

Have about a thousand of every kind made and always find myself with a #14 corkie and a little yarn and eggs, thats about it!
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 08:47 PM

i only use corkies when i'm fishing bait, and size depends on how clear the water and how large of a hook i'm using.

when going baitless, there are so many better options than corkies(yarn ball, gooey bob, pink worm etc) that i never use them that way any more.

don't tell that to the fall salmon fishermen that swear kings go nuts over a little black corky and black yarn though...
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Chum Man

don't tell that to the fall salmon fishermen that swear kings go nuts over a little black corky and black yarn though...

Yeah... ;\)

Kind of like back in 1991 when I showed up to the Salmon River in Pulaski, New York armed with Corkies and Spin-N-Glo's to fish for fall kings. Everyone thought I was nuts..."Whacha gonna catch with THEM things?"

So I asked to see what the local favorite was. A guy reaches into his pocket to pull out a handful of the secret "bait".

"Man these kings go ape over a piece of black sponge... it's the ONLY thing they'll bite!"
Posted by: steelhd101

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 09:07 PM

Almost always yarn for me.
Posted by: TBJ

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 09:27 PM

Cheaters for side driftin' and corkies on the bank. Though it all depends on water clarity. I am very partial to puffballs with bait and globugs of varying colors for clearer water and corkies and bait for dirtier water, That is if I am not doin' the float and jig thang.-T
Posted by: cowlitzkiller

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 09:39 PM

Im with ya there TBJ got to go with the cheaters for side driftin and corkies for bank and bait although i have never used puffballs...
Posted by: Todd

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 09:49 PM

Corkies for driftin', and Cheaters for the PW's...and I have a stash of Oakies that I break out for both driftin' and PW's if the mood hits me...I also occasionally use the capsule shaped fish pills on my PW's, and the very occasional spin-n-glo on top of a PW if I'm fishing really dirty water, or fishing for particularly large fish in a few particular streams!

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 09:50 PM

They are low profile and very buoyant and they are a great way to float your hook point up and hold a yummy sand shrimp tail on perfectly. They add a little contrast and color to your presentation as well. I use them and yarn balls alot.
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/10/07 10:58 PM

Cheaters, simply because they were invented by a great guy and a real sportsman - Paul Buprea, and because the guys who make the other brand gave him such a load of crap whne he began marketing his lures.
Posted by: What

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 01:31 AM

I hear you Dave on the Cheaters but what to do now that Worden's bought B.M. ? Still Okie's for me, but could be a changin' here soon...

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 01:54 AM

Becasue I seldom drift fish I use very few bouyant lures. But I will stick with Cheaters no matter who makes them. It's too cool to be reminded of an old friend every time you tie on a lure.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 03:30 AM

Cheaters---Multi-colored, 12's and 14's, but still have some corkies that get used, 10's - 14's. Like others, yarn is added.
Posted by: Terrapin

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 02:43 PM

Do they still make Winners anymore? I have the hardest time finding them. They were not up on the display board either at the Sportsmans show in Puyallup if they are the same maker as Corkies. I like them on the front of pink worms.

CF

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 03:09 PM

Outdoor emporium in seattle has them and I am sure they have them as sportco.
Posted by: superfly

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 03:31 PM

Love them cheaters, great colors, nice small local company to work with.

Peace
Fly
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: fishNphysician
 Originally Posted By: Chum Man

Yeah... ;\)

Kind of like back in 1991 when I showed up to the Salmon River in Pulaski, New York armed with Corkies and Spin-N-Glo's to fish for fall kings. Everyone thought I was nuts..."Whacha gonna catch with THEM things?"

So I asked to see what the local favorite was. A guy reaches into his pocket to pull out a handful of the secret "bait".

"Man these kings go ape over a piece of black sponge... it's the ONLY thing they'll bite!"
bite with their ass? ;\)
Posted by: j 7

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 05:20 PM

1. What is a cheater?

2. I have been using corkies a little while but not for steelhead. I found them real useful for catching nice size channel cats.

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 05:29 PM

J7

These:

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 05:32 PM

My Dad uses corkies on his pompano rigs while surf fishing in east central florida and they work great as attractant and to float the bait(usually cut clams or live sand fleas)-T
Posted by: j 7

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 05:36 PM

Thanx Dave. Just egg shaped corkies prety much or spin-in-glo's without the spin. I havent seen them in our tackle shops up here but I'll ask if they can get some.

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 08:14 PM

J7 Paul also made a Flash and Spin with mylar wings. He called it a Flash and Spin and the Spin N Glow guys threatened to sue him. He chnaged the name to Flashing and Spining Cheaters. They are great when you need some flash.,
Posted by: Queets guy

Re: Corkies or Cheaters whats your fav. - 03/11/07 09:49 PM

If your tacking a float above a PW what is perferred, a corkie or cheater and is it better to have a matching color as the worm?