Smelly Jelly

Posted by: Nor Cal Drifter

Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 04:11 PM

Anyone have any feedback on the Smelly Jelly line of scents? Good, not so good?
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 04:16 PM

I like 'em.
Posted by: ProfessorG

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 04:22 PM

I have used them. I don't find them any more effective than some of the others IMHO
Posted by: baddawg

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 04:25 PM

been using the herring smelly jelly for a long time while down rigger fishing for salmon, works fine. Last winter I used some of the berkley gulps strips with my hoochies for blackmouth and they were worked very well.
Posted by: Mikespike

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 05:21 PM

Switched to Pro-cure because of the squeeze bottle - easier on the run and works as well or better.
Posted by: mreyns_tgl

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 05:39 PM

uhhh smelly jelly has a squeeze bottle too dude
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 06:09 PM

when i use scent on typical river gear, i like mike's or the pro-cure stuff. that thicker, greasy goo that smelly jelly is doesn't disperse as well as thinner oils.
Posted by: Kramer

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 06:11 PM

I like it. Thumbs up! I use the liquid stuff and the paste...
Posted by: Dave D

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 06:12 PM

Smelly Jelly in the canister sucks. Basically Smelly Jelly is flavored Vaseline. In the summer when it gets hot out the Vaseline boils over and makes a freaking mess every where even with the lid on.

I really like Mikes Shrimp Gel, not the oil but the gel.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 06:42 PM

I'm a fan and I've never had the boiling over problem that Dave D reports. As usual, he's full of it... kidding. As someone else mentioned, it probably doesn't "disperse" as well as thinner oils but, as far as that goes, you are looking at a trade off of dispersion vs. reapplication time. I think it must be OK because you can still feel it and smell it well after smearing it on and using it. One little container will last a long time too.

Another bonus is that even though you can smell it and it DOES stink, it comes off hands easier and isn't as offensive to others as smells like salmon egg goo. I always keep an anchovie or herring flavor in the boat for the salt. My buddy is big on the shrimp scent for rivers.
Posted by: ColeyG

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 06:55 PM

Kaiser D. I take your egg goo comment personally. I haven't forgotten the "most fishermanly smelling fisherman" label you stuck me with a while back. Fishing eggs is a big enough pain without trying to stay clean. I figure you might as well embrace the goo.

As for the smelly jelly, I have yet to see it make a huge difference in the rivers one way or another but I believe it in. I do like that it stays on really well. I put it on plugs, jigs, PW's, and drift gear and even after substantial time in the water, I can still smell it. It sticks...and stinks for sure. Much better than the liquid version or other more oil based scents I have tried. I have been using the shrimp for steel. The herring salt flavor (which about makes me gag) for salmon and the ocean. I have started putting dab on my upper lip just below my nose to get used to the scent. Seems to be working, but my girlfriend isn't so keen.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 07:25 PM

Nor Cal,

You could always save yourself the hassle and just ship your gear to ColeyG. Have him wrap it in his waders and then put the whole bundle into his car for the night. It will come back fully saturdated and ready to fish. I hope you like pink?

-Kaiser D.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 07:33 PM

Related topic...? I wouldn't waste my money on using scent for steelhead...especially wild ones in the spring...I'd guess they're about 95%, or more, visual.

For salmon, on the other hand, a full stable of different cures and scents is the difference between having a lot of good days, and the occasional good day when you happen to have the scent they like on at the right time.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: BaitDangler

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 08:07 PM

anybody remember Les Davis Bait Balm in the little gold can?
Posted by: chukar79

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 08:28 PM

jelly rocks. stays on very well. its pretty tasty atop an onion bagel or a drop in your favorite can of chaw too!!

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 08:51 PM

BD,

I have a can of it still...mostly gone, and I'm pretty sure it was just Vasilene with anise oil, but it was the *only* thing going at the time!

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Krijack

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/23/08 10:39 PM

In big rivers, I would agree with you Todd, but in small or slow rivers I believe it can make a real difference. Example : One day I was fishing a small hole with several steelies in it when a jerk walked up and started casting a tipped jig over the top of me at them. About the third cast one slammed his shrimp but he totally missed it. I drenched my jig in shrimp oil, cast in and the same fish nailed it. I had been tossing at them for a while and had no resonse. Another time I had one swimming by my jig and not paying attention. In desperation, I loaded it up with a few pautzkes, drenched it in shrimp oil, and tossed it into the back eddy I saw her swimming by in. A few seconds later she swam back around and slowly approached the jig, backed up and then slowly inched up and tapped the jig. Without scent I never had a second look. Saying scent doesnt matter is like saying bait isn't more effective at times. Just like everything, I believe it is an important tool that at times can really make a difference.

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 01:55 AM

"I'd guess they're about 95%, or more, visual."

That leaves a few situations when scent is really helpful, and I'd say that almost all of those times are when you are fishing over dour hatchery fish in terminal areas...like Reiter in late August when the water is low, clear, and warm, and the fish that you're fishing over have been in that hole for six weeks...

That's a bit of an extreme example, but similar conditions or situations are prime times for using the right scent for steelhead...

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Blades™

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 02:06 AM

I heard smelly jelly works awsome buying beer!!
Posted by: Blades™

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
I hear smelly jelly really works wonders when your fishing for those saltwater grayling ;\) ...Later

Jake

I think your confused
Posted by: Salmonella

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 08:55 AM

I use Mike's Lunker Lotion on all my spinners, definite advantage.

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: mreyns_tgl

Sorry, should have been more clear in response - my local retailers don't stock smelly in the squeeze, just the jars. I hate ordering stuff on the internet when I can get it local. Chico is still kind of a backwater place!

+1 for lunker sauce! At least for trout trolling.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 01:52 PM

Smeely Jelly works,but I prefer Pro-cure Shrimp flavor.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE

Try and keep all scents out of the sun and in the bait fridge @ home,they last alot longer.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Salmonella

I use Mike's Lunker Lotion on all my spinners, definite advantage.

I've toyed with the Lunker Lotions over the last few years with some pretty good success too...

Smelly Jelly scents work great too..

Scents are totally water temp dependent.

Keith
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 04:26 PM

I recognize some of those spinners.

;\)
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Mikespike
 Originally Posted By: mreyns_tgl

Sorry, should have been more clear in response - my local retailers don't stock smelly in the squeeze, just the jars. I hate ordering stuff on the internet when I can get it local. Chico is still kind of a backwater place!

+1 for lunker sauce! At least for trout trolling.

Dude, you think Chico is backwater \:\( You should check out Poulsbo
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 04:46 PM

I've been to both....Jy at least you have Sportsmans close by. Chico has two small places to shop and one is fly only.
Chico is a cool little town though.
Posted by: Jason Y

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 04:49 PM

You are right, we have it better. But I just have a hard time picturing Chico as backwater.
I should not complain, I would think a town of that size would have a quality sporting goods store.
Posted by: Jaba'da butt

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 05:21 PM

Who needs a sporting goods store in Chico when you have Sierra Nevada Brewery! Say hi to Steve and Ken while your there!(owners). Ever try KY Gelly? Just a second I got to Go!!
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 05:45 PM

I called KY jelly "Lunker Lotion" for years, until Mikes started marketing stinky stuff under that name.

Never used KY for fishing though.

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaba'da butt
Who needs a sporting goods store in Chico when you have Sierra Nevada Brewery! Say hi to Steve and Ken while your there!(owners). Ever try KY Gelly? Just a second I got to Go!!

That's what they use over at Chico State!

If you are in town, Chico Sportsman's Den on 20th St. (just down from Sierra Nevada), Long's drugstore, Tackle Box on Park Ave, and WalMart, but I don't want to support communist China so no Wally World for me!

If you ever see the Brown ale from Sierra Nevada, buy all you can!!!

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 07:28 PM

No to the Wal! It's mostly cheap stuff anyway, not steelhead friendly!!

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 07:30 PM

Mikespike, I fished upper Feather River , Great football size steelhead and big Salmon up by Oroville in the fall. I'll be in Marysville in July 21st. I'm bringing my rod!

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 08:27 PM

Ky Gelly and Sierra Brown Ale, sounds like good times a head!!
Posted by: Phoenix77

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/24/08 09:26 PM

I make my own scent, it is like Smelly Jelly, but better. I melt petroleum Jelly, and mix whatever scents I want into it. It stays on along time andi s a lot cheaper..

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/25/08 11:16 AM

While they do catch some decent steelhead on the Feather, they tend to be on the small side, 2 - 4lbs. The salmon are just as big as you'll see up there though! Do you drift the river when you're down here? I'm stuck being a bank maggot, but in some places on the river it's better anyway!

Happy trails, Mike

Re: Smelly Jelly - 01/25/08 09:30 PM

They are small ,but FAT! The first one I caught looked like a football. The Salmon are big and caught a 25 lb.er the last time I fished with my brother-in -law who is the Assessor for Marysville. Seen a guy up by the afterbay with a hog probably 35 lbs. Fished up behind the courthouse in Oroville a time ago and saw numerous large fish caught on spinners.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Smelly Jelly - 11/29/20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Phoenix77
I make my own scent, it is like Smelly Jelly, but better. I melt petroleum Jelly, and mix whatever scents I want into it. It stays on along time andi s a lot cheaper..

does anyone still do this?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Smelly Jelly - 11/29/20 03:38 PM

Whatever happened to MikeSpike? Also,I like special mix smelly jelly. Really makes the ladies go wild.