chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs

Posted by: salmon bake

chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 06:51 PM

Salmon bake here, wondering what eggs everyone prefers the best for Nook fishin. Been loading up on silver pink and chinook eggs and I really like the way these saltwater pink eggs cure but I have never fished pink eggs before. Chum eggs to me seem to rock nooks so what's your favorite species for bait donations? Pro cure UV cure seems like a good idea also. Just burned up some fresh skein with my own cure and some UV dyes. evil
Posted by: Big Stick

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 06:53 PM

Sockeye.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 07:36 PM

Ya big stick wishin lake washington had a few more so they could open it again. I have a bunch of pink eggs hope they are going to fish.
Posted by: wildwillard

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:19 PM

springer's
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:30 PM

Bass

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:43 PM

Columbia river tules are a favorite of mine

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:44 PM

Bass don't even like Bass eggs.
Posted by: Todd

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:47 PM

Strangely enough, I find sockeye eggs to be the only salmonid eggs I don't use 'round here...fish don't seem to like 'em much. Might be the local sockeye, might be the local everything else, but either way, they don't seem to fit.

Other than that, I'd worry more about fishing well than thinking there is a magic egg or magic cure...there's not.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:48 PM

Cure matters,as do the donor.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Abu-Loomis
Originally Posted By: Big Stick
Cure matters,as do the donor.

+1

For Chinook in rivers, absolutely...for coho in rivers, somewhat...for steelhead, doesn't matter one whit.

But...my previous point...doesn't matter what magic egg or magic cure you use if you don't know how to fish...and if you know how to fish, you can make it happen with whatever's on hand.

I'd rather know how to fish than put my success or not in the hands of a jar of cure...

Kinda like hunting...you can buy the best gun, scope, shells, and gear...but if don't know where your quarry lives and its habits, then it won't do any more than make you look good at the range.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 10:07 PM

Beware the Best Indian,with the Best Arrows...because such things DO matter.

I've no interest in how Joe Average fairs,because my sights are set lightyears beyond same and weighed in like accords.

Which is why donors and cure matter a bunch.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/16/09 10:16 PM

Big part of the game is having skills and fish knowledge and most importantly there has to be fish. Eggs are not all equal nor are cures. I am with stick on this one. Sockeye eggs are oily as hell and the sockeye lives on kill where nooks live on baitfish so there has to be a differnce in chemical composition of Roes
Posted by: team cracker

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 12:57 AM

pink eggs for steelhead, chinook and coho eggs for chinook and coho

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:04 AM

I'd rather rate the relative maturity of a given skein,as opposed to chastising an entire Salmonid.

Though I've zero Chum or Sockeye love,in regards to Roe.
Posted by: Satan

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:26 AM

Proper handling is much more important than egg type. And cures do matter.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:28 AM

I'd happily banty the Massage Therapy Ruse,on skeins too far along.
Posted by: Addicted

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:43 AM

Them pink eggs will fish fine, actually well, if they got decent cure on 'em and you fish 'em well. I get plenty of kingers every other year fishing them. They actually fish quite well, in fact very well in most good king holding water. If your eggs are at the point of good maturity without being loose, they are clean, and they milk, you got good eggs. A fairly sweat smelling egg is what ya want. Steelhead, especially summerruns will eat anything that resembles an egg, or smells like an egg. Kings are a bit picky at times, but semi firm, yet milky eggs is what gets ya the bites. You know goods eggs when ya see 'em and smell 'em, ya know the bad ones, if ya thinks they're bad, throw 'em out, unless your desperate for bait and gonna fish a loaded summerrun stream where you can easily entice those hungry stomached fish.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:48 AM

"Few" things as reassuring as "every other year".

Kids.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:10 AM

I shall revise my reply Mr. Stick....simply meaning every other year I'm using your dreaded humpy eggs. The "other" year, well, kinger eggs for kingers. As I'm sure the Big Stick of the North should already know. We simply have been relegated to odd numbered years being the humpster egg gathering years, with the waters being clean of pink on the even numbered years.

Big kid.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:15 AM

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:30 AM

You are at the mercy of your faculties and that'd be a bridge that can't be crossed...though I can happily waltz you through the motions,if only to humor myself.
Posted by: Satan

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:33 AM

Why don't you teach us to eat (censored)?

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:33 AM

I'll go head to head with experience.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:40 AM

You are at the mercy of your faculties and that'd be a bridge that can't be crossed...though I can happily waltz you through the motions,if only to humor myself.

Ahh jeez...... I sit here wishing I had the sheer #'s of fish you have up North Stick....... What would you do if a decent fisherman followed you down the river showing you what really existed?

Keith rofl

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:42 AM

Good Luck on that Wish...while I live the dream.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:46 AM

Good Luck on that Wish...while I live the dream.

Dream... I'll give that to ya. Spoiled with sheer #'s.. I know a couple kids that rode the short bus that would give you a run for your money.....

Keith rofl

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:46 AM

I"m living the dream, in my land and yours. It's all good, it'll continue, the dream is good, and getting better...in real time.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 11:25 AM

Numbers are way off the chain here in the PNW right now and I was lucky enough to have a fiancée who let me chase other tails besides hers all weekend in the form of chrome nooks, coho and humpies. She let's me go fish lots as long as I cure the baits outside and as long as I have FUN. I'm a lucky dude for sure! What an amazing turn of fishing events we are having on the columbia river where on friday my crew and I banged salmonoids like the days of 2001. With grips of egg baits on the cure of multiple species I noticed something: pink eggs are able to take a ton of cure without burning them! Me like that, have some spicy bait that stays supple and milks out like crazy. Plan on me being on the fish with these berries soon! Relax out there and enjoy the fatty runs of chrome infesting our waters. Don't miss the point of fishin, save the "I am the best fisherman" TUDE for your close buddies, and keep it out of my ears cause I aint caring who is the best, just who is the coolest, fun loving fish seekers. Love the post by addicted with his island crew having a blast fishing and chillin! That's how ya do it! Come on now what's your favorite baits peeps?! Whoop! Whoop! Eeeeoowww!
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 11:33 AM

I'll stick with the gallon jar of king eggs I have curing up in my fridge now, thanks.

Another day and they will be perfect.

King, coho, and steelhead eggs only for me, please. Don't have access to Reds down here and you'd have to pay me to touch a humpy or a chum, let alone kill one just for the eggs.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 11:42 AM

Well, see ya'll's, I'm gonna go use my humpy eggs to get some kingers. Have a fine day debating the said northerly teachings of timber legs. I intend on going all Big Stick on two kings with my lowly eggs from my worthless mini egg wagons while their meat continues to smoke up.
Posted by: bongo

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:21 PM

we find chum roe most productive in BC rivers.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:25 PM

WOW.Good luck,
STRIKE ZONE
Posted by: superfly

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:29 PM

Chum eggs are awesome parker, they cure up much better then king eggs, but I like King, Silver, Steelhead or chum eggs, No Cumpy or sockeye eggs for me.

Peace
Fly
Posted by: IrishRogue

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:29 PM

Somebody please, please, put a stop to the B. S.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:35 PM

Salmon cakes are a great use for lesser species of salmon. Capers shallots and panko breadcrumbs can make any salmon into a gourmet meal. I like pinks and Keta salmon smoked as long as the fish was caught while still chrome and in ocean form. Old folks will take any salmon u give them and they will think its delicious. Glad to hear the pink eggs work on the nooks, can't wait to take mine to fish under a bobber where the nooks don't see humpie eggs. Having something different produces bites. I know guys in oregon who haul eggs in Alaska to fish down south and do very well on them. How about shad eggs? Seen them work on springers. I would use the shad for crab and sturgeon bait, not a recipe in the world to make shad something I will eat

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: superfly
Chum eggs are awesome parker

That could very well be, but in order to get some to cure up, that would mean I'd have to target chums, or beg some of the bloodied up chum eggs off of Edgar or Jonas.

Both are not appealing to me.

Hey, did you get my voice mails? Offers still stand.
Posted by: willametteriveroutlaw

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: parker
Originally Posted By: superfly
Chum eggs are awesome parker

That could very well be, but in order to get some to cure up, that would mean I'd have to target chums, or beg some of the bloodied up chum eggs off of Edgar or Jonas.

Chum eggs and Pink eggs take Dye and cure very well and milk great, blood schmlood it dont matter much. Putting decent bait infront of fish is the most important thing.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 02:50 PM

Tight chum eggs are the key.. Tough to find in our neck of the woods.... They certainly have produced some bites over the years....

Nothing beats a good king egg though, maturity and strain makes all the difference....

Keith grin
Posted by: Dave Vedder

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 03:14 PM

If I had to choose eggs from only one species, it would be chums - no contest.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 03:17 PM

So nice, you said it twice.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Rossiman

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 04:11 PM

Easy choice....
Chum eggs, as we have a abundance of them down in my neck of the woods.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 04:40 PM

I wonder if the chinooks bite other species eggs out of some ancient territorial instinct. Kill the competition by chowing their eggs down or smashing them in their beaks. I fish lots of chinook eggs on chinook and do well so maybe this idea they kill other species eggs is not what they are really trying to do. I know they are hungry cause with my cures they try to eat them deep most of the time if not every time.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: salmon bake
I wonder if the chinooks bite other species eggs out of some ancient territorial instinct. Kill the competition by chowing their eggs down or smashing them in their beaks. I fish lots of chinook eggs on chinook and do well so maybe this idea they kill other species eggs is not what they are really trying to do. I know they are hungry cause with my cures they try to eat them deep most of the time if not every time.

Although a good theory, I don't see it that way. Too many coincidences with in stream eggs doing well on their own fish. I've found that at certain parts of a female salmons lifecycle they begin to rapidly expel their own fat content into the eggs and the higher that content in that particular species the better they produce when being fished. In other words, the more mature the egg you can get that still has that milky look prior to curing and without that glossy look the better they produce.... There's a fine line to that time period of retaining them....

Keith grin

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 07:06 PM

Fish are a trip man, that they chow their own young, and I totally have seen what u are saying about maturity and the opaque appearance vs. Shiny look. That being said humpie eggs should fish pretty well, even though they aren't the biggest berries around which I know some peeps like em large. What's up with your cure and where can I buy it from? You mail it out?

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 08:05 PM

Fish are a trip man, that they chow their own young, and I totally have seen what u are saying about maturity and the opaque appearance vs. Shiny look. That being said humpie eggs should fish pretty well, even though they aren't the biggest berries around which I know some peeps like em large. What's up with your cure and where can I buy it from? You mail it out?

Yeah, I'll pm you a cost sheet....

Keith

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 10:02 PM

UEC sucks.

Too bad I had to waste all those king eggs that are currently curing up in UEC - was the only cure I had. A Fat Female Ditch Pickle probably wouldn't touch those eggs now, let alone any self-righteous chinookie or steelhead.

Oh well, I will just have to make them work with my awesomeness.

laugh

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/17/09 11:45 PM

I personally can't wait to burn up some eggs in the ultimate sauce. Can't suck too bad as I have seen finicky clackamas river springers choke on it so deep they were bleeding out of their bunghole when dudes from battle scrounge WA came down one evening. If springers want to eat it I will roll it along with all me other super sauces. Anytime someone disses a cure makes me think it actually works so good that Peeps are trying to keep it on the down-low status. Parker must be gettin skunked a lot these days which is too bad cause salmon are stacking like cordwood all over the darn place.
Posted by: Rod Builder

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/19/09 12:04 AM

My favorite's, in order are Coho, Chum, king.

I do agree though, it's more about putting decent eggs in front of fish than having superior eggs in a desert. I'm lucky enough to live in a target rich enviroment so even C or D grade eggs work when I'm running low.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/19/09 11:57 AM

Parker must be gettin skunked a lot these days which is too bad cause salmon are stacking like cordwood all over the darn place.

Yeah, that must be it.

Stlhdr1 - your cure sucks! I keep getting skunked when using it! Only a fool would use UEC.

But I'm glad baked salmon is here to show me how it's done!

Well baked? As Big Stick would have said, let's see some results of your awesomeness.
Posted by: Fishbait

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/19/09 05:54 PM

My absolute favorite eggs are ..... Sockeye, with Chinook being Second.

Parker, shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you some cure. Just don't tell Keith

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/19/09 06:01 PM

Email sent.

I probably had access to about a 100 skeins of sockeye eggs while up on the Kenai in July. Watched them all go in the river to feed the 'bows. frown

Maybe next time I'm up there I'll figure out a way to get them in some cure and shipped back down home.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/19/09 11:11 PM

That is pretty lame of me to not throw down some chrome pics, I need to get my act together and figure out how to upload pics. Pretty much chump status till I do, b.s. Only goes so far round these parts. Thanks for calling me out parker, but feeding your sockeye eggs to the trout is great news cause I will have that flavor and you won't!! evil

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/19/09 11:42 PM

In hindsight, that probably wasn't the smartest thing I've done lately....

doh

Oh well, that just gives me an excuse to go get some more next year! thumbs

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/20/09 12:51 AM

Out for a stroll the other day on a low tide humperooni bite(wasn't fishin) the beach mob was hooking piles of slimers as fast as I have seen yet this year, and the peeps were guttin hens left and right so I asked a few what they were doing with the eggs they said throw them to the sculpins. So in true bottom feeder egg junkie fashion I got lucky and they gave me a pile of eggos. Burning em up now, good egg haul for just walking my not so vicious mutts. Pays to ask nicely, if u do what I did beware walking up to a murders row of kids whizzing buzz bombers, make sure to approach from the side, and not from BEHIND cause you might be wearing thirty bright pink lures in your precious meat suit.

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/21/09 01:42 AM

Holy hot fishing and egg haul season! Not getting nooks right now in CR but coho so thick you could do a two step across the estuary. COHO eggs it is for me. Have a fat sack of em cured up after this weekend. Now need some where to fish em up round puget sound soon. Green river, nisqually tidewater time yet!?! Coho eggs win my vote of best egg to cure, maybe cause we got a bunch of em!
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/24/09 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: parker

Maybe next time I'm up there I'll figure out a way to get them in some cure and shipped back down home.

1. Bring cure.
2. Bring lots of bags.
3. Bring more bags to put around your bag of eggs.
4. Put in your checked luggage.

Easier than catching a 30 on a bug rod for most.
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: chum vs. pink vs. coho vs. chinook eggs - 08/25/09 01:13 AM

fedex em