Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat?

Posted by: Peter

Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 11:36 AM

Hey guys, wanting to get opinions on these three boats in a 12-15'er for the sound and small salt water areas. I see Lund is considered the best riveted boats around but I see smoker crafts have a lifetime warranty and are deeper and wider? \

Boats added are Duraboat and Klamath in my options.

need help please. Thank you!
Posted by: Just Clint

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe? - 08/27/09 11:53 AM

I have a 2001, 17.5' Smoker-Craft and I like it a lot. Bought it used 2 years ago.It is a nice deep boat and I've taken it through some pretty nasty stuff here in the south sound anyway. Modified V hull so very stable platform when fishing.
Haven't seen any sign of leaking rivets and I've pounded some waves pretty hard with it.
Had a 12 Lund that was also a great boat.
BUT, if I were shopping today I'd be looking at Hewes.http://www.hewescraft.com/2007/sportsman/index.html
Looks like the smallest they make is 16'.
It's the dominent sport boat you see in S.E. Alaska, at least from what I've seen walking the docks up there.
Welded construction and a lot of deck space to length ratio.
I'd add it too your options if I were you.
Posted by: j 7

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe? - 08/27/09 03:23 PM

I have a 13' 1985 Smokercraft Alskan that gets used a lot. I love it.....thought its developed a small leak in the front. Just have to tighten the rivets or run a bead of sealant. Almost 25 years old and just now leaking.......not bad. Cant talk about use in the sound but I have heard that boats take way more of a beating out there.

I do know that dirt and water in between the rivets and metal will cause a freeze thaw action that loosens any rivet no matter the manufacturer. Riveted boats need to be kept clean and dry when the temps get below freezing.
Posted by: RogueFanatic

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe? - 08/27/09 03:49 PM

Grew up in the Midwest owning Lunds and SeaNymphs. Now own a 15' welded Gregor. Awesome boat. Built in 1976 but looks brand new and welds don't leak. It's deep and uses a long shaft (20") motor and has a full transom. 6' wide and if you ran a pump, you could even run it in a river. Hard to beat, versatile boat for around here though I do not see a lot of difference bewteen it and the Klamath, Valco or Western welded boats.
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 03:51 PM

I had a 15' Smokercraft Alaskan for about 5 years,sold it to my brother and he ran it for 2-3 more. Basically used only in the sound and straights. It did start to leak a bit after he bought it,but only a cup or so after fishing all day.

Not bad considering the abuse we put it through.

I bought a new 14' Lund two years ago. Bought it to use in the places my North River can't go. Its a good boat,but doesn't feel as well built as the Smokercraft.

I looked at Klamaths before I bought my Lund and boy were they cheezy. I think my Bud Light cans are thicker than the Klamath.

Another to consider is the Gregor. They're a light gauge aluminum like the Lunds and Smockercrafts,but are welded instead of riveted.
Posted by: 4Salt

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 03:57 PM

I had a 13' Smokercraft Alaskan too and it was an awesome little boat. Deep, wide and stable. I was VERY happy with it. It never leaked during the time I had it either.
Posted by: SmellslikeTuna

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 08:12 PM

I have a Lowe 165DC Angler series. Its a great bay boat! All welded seams, no rivets. Lifetime hull warranty. Alot of fishing room in it.

Heres a couple pics:

Its great on the water. My only complaint is the 13 gallon gas tank! Otherwise, its a great boat!
Posted by: LoweDown

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 08:53 PM

I'd go with a Lowe, but I'm biased. smile
Posted by: hohbomb73

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 08:55 PM

My $$ is on Lowe kicking Lund's ass...

rofl
Posted by: Todd

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 08:58 PM

Opportunity for excellent thread hijacking aside (thanks, hohbomb smile ), I fish a lot of out of BroodBuster's 16' Lund with a 50hp Evinrude on the back, and it gets us to and from wherever we happen to be just fine, and sure feels seaworthy for such a little boat...

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/27/09 09:51 PM

my 13' alaskan has been all over the sound, the columbia and chehalis, neah bay, sekiu and just about every lake within 50 miles. hard to beat it, bang for the buck.
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 12:16 AM

I had a 14' lund and it was ok, make sure you get a walk through model. Mine had a two bench seats across it which made it a pain to move around the boat. Just traded it for a 19' Alumaweld Stryker, no complaints about this new boat!
Posted by: FISH'N BRASS

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 12:29 AM

I had a 16' Duroboat for 3 yrs-good boat well made-welded vs riveted! Now have a 16' Crestliner Canadian-5x the boat a Duroboat was- all welded-more stable-stouter-a great boat for the sound. Not made for the straits, but really good in conditions up to 15 kts. Easy to launch/recover by myself-has 30 hp 4 stroke Nissan-does 20 knts wih 2 people!

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 12:32 AM

I had a 16' Duroboat for 3 yrs-good boat well made-welded vs riveted! Now have a 16' Crestliner Canadian-5x the boat a Duroboat was- all welded-more stable-stouter-a great boat for the sound. Not made for the straits, but really good in conditions up to 15 kts. Easy to launch/recover by myself-has 30 hp 4 stroke Nissan-does 20 knts wih 2 people!

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 12:34 AM

Sorry for double post!
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Todd
I fish a lot of out of BroodBuster's 16' Lund with a 50hp Evinrude on the back, and it gets us to and from wherever we happen to be just fine, and sure feels seaworthy for such a little boat...

Yea-I'm a bit partial to the Lunds. Works pretty darn well for a '79 hull and an '81 motor. All my leaks have been drill bit related doh and easily plugged.

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 03:32 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase a 1986 14' Gregor and 86' trailer for 1100.00 with zero major dents or scratches and looks in excellent condition, same with the trailer.

How do we find the true value of these boats, is 1100.00 really a good deal for a boat that is more than 25 years old?

Thanks for all ya'll help!
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Peter
I have the opportunity to purchase a 1986 14' Gregor and 86' trailer for 1100.00 with zero major dents or scratches and looks in excellent condition, same with the trailer.

How do we find the true value of these boats, is 1100.00 really a good deal for a boat that is more than 25 years old?

Sounds decent, good boat and a trailer too.
Posted by: SundayMoney

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Peter

N.A.D.A has a blue book section for boats,engines,and trailers.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/28/09 11:18 AM

Welded over riveted.....Had a welded 14' Valco that I ran "most of the rivers" in Grays Harbor from 1988 - 2002. Never leaked from any of the welds.....did punch a hole in the bottom, early in my ownership, $75.00 and was good to go.

What the heck is a small leak???? As much rain as we get, bilge pump will keep most of the water out of the boat. If you don't have a bilge pump, couple of hours of work, and a battery......then you are set up for any kind of rain or small leak.

Been out there in a Grays Harbor rain......felt sorry for the people with no bilge pump.....tough to stay ahead of heavy rain, with a coffee cup.....so much nicer....turn on pump.....watch that water being pumped.....yep, worth the money.......

Re: Lund vs Smokercraft vs Lowe vs Klamath & Duraboat? - 08/29/09 03:05 AM

Thanks for all your help guys, I ended up buying an excellent conditioned 14' Klamath Deluxe welded aluminum boat.
Now I'm in the market for a newer galvanized trailer for my 14' boat, any out there willing to sell? Even considering buying new, any dealer that sell them galv trailers cheap out there?

Thanks again!