State record coho 2009?

Posted by: eyeFISH

State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 02:47 AM

With that ginormous MEGA run of fish behind us, did anyone even come close?

I heard of several 20-plus at Buoy 10.

Saw a guy land one in my back yard that pulled a digital scale to 23#.

Anybody heard of/seen anything bigger?

Pics?
Posted by: mitch184

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 03:05 AM

I think the biggest we got this year was 18-19. But that was last wednesday. I'm sure some of those coastal rivers pumped out some big piggies this year though.

The shear numbers throughout the state still amazes me. Will be catching chrom bright coho probably thru the 1st of the year easily.
Posted by: huntncoug

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 03:41 AM

All the fish we caught this year were on the big side, our average was well over ten pounds.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 10:35 AM

The listed WDFW record is 25.27#, caught in the Quinault River.....I thought the record was held by a Grays Harbor person, and caught in a river other than the Quinault......??????
Posted by: steelhead_stalkers

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 10:49 AM

I just heard last week that the Oregon state record was caught out of Siltcoos, the only problem was the guy did not have it certified. He just got pictures of it and weighed it. 26.6 or somewhere in that area. I will try to get some pictures of it.
Posted by: big moby

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 11:16 AM

Largestr I landed this year was #17 I did see a few around 20
Posted by: SBD

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 11:28 AM

The historic photo in my avatar is supposed to be a 45 pound columbia river coho...Long way to go to beat that record.
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 11:30 AM

We seen some in the high teens, nothing over 20 this year.

1997-1998 seemed to be the year of bigger fish in SW WA, but then again I fished a bit more then as well. We seen 3 that season over 20 with one that a buddy caught that was pushing 24-25...

Keith
Posted by: Todd

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 12:21 PM

I was fishing with a couple of board members 13 months ago and we released a coho estimated at 25.5 pounds...caught on a hootchie whirler smile

I'll let them tell the story if they like...so long as they remember to keep the river under their hats wink

I've never personally caught one over 20, but there sure have been a lot of 16 to 19 pounders around the last several years...and I'd say that over the past three years fishing in GH with Francis virtually every single coho was over ten pounds, only a couple exceptions out of dozens of fish, especially those early hatchery coho that seemed to average 14 to 17 pounds...

'Dem's some good eats.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: bushbear

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 12:22 PM

Had some big fish back to the Dungeness Hatchery this year. Fattened up in the salt, I'd guess that they'd have been into the low/mid-20s.
Posted by: stonefish

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 12:50 PM

I saw lots of nice fish caught this year in the salt and on rivers.
Biggest fish I saw come off the beach on the sound was a 17 lber.
While this year was very good, 2001 still stands out as the best recent coho year as far as fish numbers and size.
Posted by: Eric

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 01:42 PM

I've neither seen nor heard of anything close to a record yet this season.

I'm glad you posted this Francis because I had similar curiosities. With the shear number of fish that returned and the quality(fat and round) one would think there's got to be a record tucked in there somewhere.

Probably was but ended up cut into steaks by some dude who went out for the first time and was stoked he caught a nice "king".
Posted by: Achewter

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 03:22 PM

I thought for sure there would be some contenders this fall. The size of the coho early this year out of Neah blew me away. When cohos on a good year are 4 to 7 lbs in early July we were getting a few hatchery fish over 10. Couldn't find those pockets of bigger fish in August until we ran out to Swiftsure. Fish were nice in August but weren't the same fish we were hitting early on the prairie. Would love to know the real numbers the Makah took this year. After fishing Kings in the morning it was easy to hook 30 coho in the late morning and afternoon. The tribal trollers were always in the same area and there were a lot of them.

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 04:03 PM

LMWS latched onto the biggest coho of the season in my boat.... a high teens buck with shoulders so broad it would've made an NFL linebacker jealous. Too bad we hadn't yet figured out the mystery of the evil flasher. That fish might have pushed 20 once over the gunnel, but I'll never really know. Oh well... just another target milestone for LMWS to shatter next year.

Brother Noel had a hold of a big acrobatic mid-teens buck that also fell victim to the evil flasher.

Unless f4b tagged one larger without telling, the biggest coho to actually hit the box weighed a solid 16#.... beautiful blinding chrome buck with just a tinge of blush on the fins.
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Eric
Probably was but ended up cut into steaks by some dude who went out for the first time and was stoked he caught a nice "king".

You know that just HAD to happened.

Most likely more than one 2009 state record coho tossed in the fish box & processed.

c/22
Posted by: Sleddddder

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 05:20 PM

Biggest in my boat was a 17# caught by Blondebud at bouy 10.
Posted by: lukesfishin

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 06:14 PM

sbd, that pic in your avatar looks like a huge tiger trout, i didn't know 'hos had stripes, but it is a prehistoric picture
Posted by: SBD

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 06:18 PM

I wouldn't know what a 45 pound coho would look like, the mouth is right, he looks a little dried out and what ever it is, it was worth a picture.
Posted by: lovetofish365

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 08:14 PM

i think my biggest this year was 16...didnt run into as many over 12 or 13 this year then the last couple years...smaller coho for me this year, maybe just my luck...c
Posted by: No More Ice Fishin

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 10:34 PM

Speaking of cohos, got one late afternoon today all the way up on the upper Sky, not too far below the forks (above Reiter).

Nailed a 50/50 2/5 oz spoon...the fish wasn't chrome, but not exactly half-dead either, especially the way it hit that spoon.

A couple river otters appeared as I was bringing it in, and back slid down the snowy ice bank into the river. No steelhead, but a cool scene.
Posted by: fishbadger

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/13/09 11:18 PM

Caught my biggest of the year today. . .a high teener buck with sea lice. . .lots of other fresh fish mixed in with the red guys too. . .season tain't over yet,

fb
Posted by: chrome/22

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 12:09 AM

Late ho's gotta love em. Thats nice work badger

c/22
Posted by: Red Neckerson

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 12:27 AM

Ive gotten 2 or 3 over 20 in the last three weeks and one on videotape. Gotta love them late Ho's. The last three I got over 25 never got a picture of, bummer. So, I guess it didn't happen. fight
Posted by: stlhdr42

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 12:46 AM

Bout 10 yrs ago we had 6 or 8 silvers pushin that 25lb mark in late nov on the hump all in one week. Never since then have I seen multiple big ho's landed. These ho's had such big hooks on their noses I wondered how they could even close their mouth to eat my herring.
Posted by: Addicted

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 12:49 AM

Wasn't gonna, wasn't gonna, gonna, wans't gonna, gonna, wasn't gonna, okay, gonna. You baited me Todd.

Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Addicted
Wasn't gonna, wasn't gonna, gonna, wans't gonna, gonna, wasn't gonna, okay, gonna. You baited me Todd.

Dandy!

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 01:33 AM

coHO !
Posted by: Neal M

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 11:22 AM

Here are a couple of true giants from 08.
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: DrifterWA
The listed WDFW record is 25.27#, caught in the Quinault River.....I thought the record was held by a Grays Harbor person, and caught in a river other than the Quinault......??????

Bardo, "my wife's aunt's third husband" caught that fish with Inky Charlie on the Quinault. His buddy landed a bigger fish the same trip, but cut it into steaks. Bardo lives in Mason County, not GH.
Posted by: The Moderator

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 11:45 AM

Bardo needs to come back out of hiding and post his mounts up here. If I recall, he had quite the collection of monsters! I'd love to see 'em!

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 12:15 PM

You should see some of the taxidermy mounts he has of steelhead.

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

Yes.

Please.

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Dogfish

As Parker said; PLEASE PLEASE!!!!

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/14/09 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal M
Here are a couple of true giants from 08.

Kid looks a little intimidated by those big bright slabs. Teddys not gonna protect ya buddy! smile

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: parker
Bardo needs to come back out of hiding and post his mounts up here. If I recall, he had quite the collection of monsters! I'd love to see 'em!

Bardo needs to return and repost the pic of his 100-plus Kenai king mount. And also the dead fish pic of the same beast on the setnet beach.

Or just send me a PM.... thanks.
Posted by: Todd

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 12:54 AM

Though the fish that Bardo had mounted are incredible examples of our wonderful PNW species, and I'm still having dreams about his helo with pontoons for fishing BFE...I'm not too impressed by mounts of fish bought from the tribes that were caught in a gillnet.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 10:10 AM

He doesn't take any credit for catching the net caught fish, and chose to imortalize those 30+lb steelhead by having them mounted. They were dead and he did nothing to cause that.

As Dan S would say, better that than becoming a turd. They are pretty impressive, nonetheless.
Posted by: Dan S.

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: DF
As Dan S would say, better that than becoming a turd. They are pretty impressive, nonetheless.

Exactly. Nobody is going to gather around your toilet bowl and and admire the turd you left in there, but bardo's mounts are something you can look at and go "ooh" and "aah" and nobody will think there's something wrong with you.

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 12:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan S.
mounts are something you can look at and go "ooh" and "aah" and nobody will think there's something wrong with you.

+1

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 02:34 PM

Well,

I did have one that some "bureau of fecal measurements" was calling me about, but after a little work with a broom handle I was able to break it up enough to get it to flush.

Re: State record coho 2009? - 12/15/09 07:23 PM

that's f'd up dogfish,

fb