Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting

Posted by: fishEmunchR

Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 12:15 PM

I feel like I've been led astray. Although I haven't given it too much time, and I've seen SO many pictures and heard stories of steelies on pink worms, I haven't caught one. I do lose faith quick if a tactic isn't working right off the bat and I know it's a very productive way to catch fish, so what are some specific surefire setups for fishing this so called " pink worm? " Also things like water conditions, type of water, and which pink worms to use would be much appreciated.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 12:32 PM

LOL... You sound exactly like me from a few years ago. I was practically convinced that the whole thing was a sham. I fished the crap out of them through good water and couldn't get a take. I could even pass back through the same water with different gear and get grabbed but no love on the worm. Then... things changed for the better.

Keep fishing them. I tend to like softer worms with a lot of wiggle. I either fish them with a weighted head under a sliding float or drift fish them behind a slinky. Eventually, it will happen and, from that point, confidence will breed confidence. I think they fish better in dirty water but I've also seen some fish get really snappy with them in clear conditions too.
Posted by: thaxor

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 01:16 PM

I've had the same experience. My problem is that once the worm gets torn up I rip it off and use the setup to drift bait, inevitably hooking into fish.

That being said I tied up a bunch more, smaller ones this time, to try in a few weeks.
Posted by: ShimanoMan

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 02:00 PM

I've tried it a few times drift fishing with no success, so like most I bag it and go with something I have confidence in.

Has anyone tried the worm side drifting, or is this strictly a float/bobber, or drift tactic.
Posted by: N W Panhandler

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 02:02 PM

Years ago I bought a doz and put them in my vest, then one day at blue creek in late summer there were lots of fish but no one could get them to bite. I was thinking about those articles written about canadian fishing styles and remembered those pink worms. I waited till about noon when most folks walked out for lunch and gave it a whirl. Concocted a story about hearing about smallmouth bass in the Cowlitz......wow first cast fish on then lost......set it back up with two hooks and again 1st cast, fish on and on the bank.......the long and short of it is I could have sold every one of those worms for 5 to 10 dollars no sweat.
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 02:06 PM

I usually run the pink worm for winter metal in no bait zones and do well with them,like said above it took a few trips to start beleiving in them.I like to bobber dog them myself.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: Rocket Red

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ShimanoMan
I've tried it a few times drift fishing with no success, so like most I bag it and go with something I have confidence in.

Has anyone tried the worm side drifting, or is this strictly a float/bobber, or drift tactic.

I've got them side-drifting out of the sled on pink worms. I have more success with that in dirty water.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 02:40 PM

Like any other fishing lure...presented properly, at the right time, to the right fish, Pw's side drifted can be very good. Then again, other times you might as well have a Swisher Sweet cigar on for bait...
P.S Not the most used bait for hatch brats...
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 03:02 PM

can't go wrong with Buzz.
Posted by: Thrasher

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 03:18 PM

I have fished the pink out of it too.

To this day, the only thing I have hit on it is a ho and a dolly. But for some sick reason, I keep fishing it without any luck. As soon as I change up to a jig or bait things change.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 03:21 PM

Fished them a lot, never did not beleive in them smile
I've found they work in all conditions, high and dirty, low and clear, and all waters between.

As is true with nearly 100% of all other methods used to catch Steelhead, the hardest part is finding the Steelhead.

Posted by: Lucky Louie

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 03:38 PM

Like any thing else if the fish are around they'll work.

I’ve been fishing pink worms and floats since back in the 80’s. Because dink floats and worms weren’t readily available around here at that time, it was a good excuse to go to Canada to not only stock up for the year on gear but fish also.

I remember fishing the Elochoman around that same time frame down here and a few fishermen walked up to me and said “we don’t fish like that around here”.

It looks like they do now. rofl
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 03:43 PM

The question ought to be, "what won't a steelhead hit?"

Answer: "We're still looking."

Sg
Posted by: stlhdr1

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 04:01 PM

I ran into a guy that gave me 10 of them pretied but when I got home I threw them in the garbage....

There's better applications for no-bait type water....

But........ One of the silliest new trends on the CR for Springers is to hang one off your back hook when trolling herring. Although I never did it I had a buddy that swore by it... Then again, he was using herring I had brined up for him....

Keith thumbs
Posted by: steelhead_stalkers

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 05:24 PM

I could fish the whole winter with just pink worms and be just fine and happy! I could also do the same with jigs, yarn balls and UEC. There are times when we have fished all of our favorite jigs, lures and bait through a hole and on the way out my bro in law drifts "big pink" a 6 inch pink worm through and get slammed! This has happened many times through out the winter!
Posted by: SkykomishSunrise

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 05:35 PM

I caught my biggest steelhead yet a couple of years ago, using a pink worm and float combo. Until then, I really did not have much confidence in the pink worm. That all changed when I caught this fish. My first thought when seeing it jump out of the water should been something like Wow! That was one big ass fish! Instead, it was Wow! The pink worm actually worked! To say the least, I fished pink worms for the rest of the winter with good results. You just have to make up your mind and then do it.
Posted by: Take-Down

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 06:28 PM

I've only been fishing with him a couple times, but, based on my experience, I think there's probably not a much better pink worm professor than the owner of this website. Probably take a couple years off the learning curve to book a trip with Bob.
Posted by: Hot magic

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/18/10 10:29 PM

I hooked more than a few last winter on the coast, drifting them but lost everyone. But I. Figured it,I wasn't ready for how aggressive they were. Later that same winter I returned and had much better luck!! Easy. Worm's and. Mad river worked the best for me! Good luck

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 12:43 AM

I guess Ill rig a few up and use them for a last resort until I'm convinced. Thanks fot the advice!
Posted by: GHAgitator62

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 01:39 AM

I fish them high up in the river after the steelies have had a look at everything that everyone else has thrown at them, and most of the hits are as subtle as when they take a plug.
True story time (really!)
I was fishing legally up high in a no-bait, barbless stretch, came down to a hole where a guy was fishing with egg spooge on his hands.
Hmmm.......
Smiled at him, threw in my SPW (stupid pink worm), picked up a 10 pound buck on my first cast. Released it, it was a wild fish, smiled again, and kept going down the river. Haven't seen him up there since. I hope the fish gods punished him with extreme prejudice.
I recommend the 4 inch worms as well.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 02:00 AM

I caught a fish on a pink worm once, but I think it was a fluke.

No, really...it was a fluke...you know, like a flounder.

Fish on...

Todd

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 10:55 AM

you're always a huge help Todd
Posted by: Chum Man

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 11:15 AM

what's the cheapest place to buy a bunch of pink worms? i always seem to have a hard time finding them, and when i do they're always "steelhead" worms that go for $1 apiece or more.

i suspect it's the same as buying "marine" engine parts...same stuff as what's in your truck, but 4 times as much!
Posted by: neon

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 11:35 AM

I like the worm in glacial rivers that get that slate, or "steelhead green" water. Drift fishing is most effective for me down here in the willamette valley. I rig em kinda like a mooched herring, or with a single #4 threaded to the tail. Some dumbass down here calls plastics, a bait, so ill tie up a couple pink worm "flies" and let you check those out. Deschutes steelhead love em... the fur, not the worm...

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/19/10 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: fishEmunchR
you're always a huge help Todd

OK...I'll try a little harder... smile

For winter runs especially, I use them pretty much the entire time I don't have a spoon on...about half the time, depending on where I'm fishing.

I driftfish with them, or drag them around in the boat...and while I think they really shine when the water is colored up a bit due to their large profile, I have no problem using them in gin clear water, either, I just size them down a bit.

Here's an article I wrote a few years ago about fishing them:

http://www.salmonandsteelheadjournal.com...ad/Default.aspx

Kyle, send me a PM...

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: fishhog

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 02:21 AM

Ahh the PW.. my nemisis. I like most have tried, in vain to try to hook a steelie on one. I know confidence helps, but dammit Jim.

Last time I fished them I was bound and determined to use the pw and nothing else. So Kaiser, thrasher & I hit the nooksack to chase some steel. I brought 20 pre-tied rigs and fished them, until I lost them all over the course of the day. Being as I was out, I tied on a yarn ball, and what do you know... fish on. Ughhhhhhh.

I know they work... I've seen them work, but DANG IT!!!!

But, Todd hooked me up with some of his "special" worms, so my confidence is renewed.

Thanks for the link Todd!!!
Posted by: browndog

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 10:16 AM

Took a few years of trying the pink worm to no avail.Caught a fish here and there and slowly gained confidence now the pink worm is my friend.
Certain times,certain places, certain fish and the PW rock's.
Posted by: OPfisher

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 01:40 PM

It' all confidence.
Native steelhead unmollested will eat about anything 90% of the time. If the water has more color fish the 6"ers if clearer, downsize to 4"s.
Worms work, they're a great tool for bait restriction areas too!
One other thing I like is having a different color cheater than the worm body for contrast, but like the first thing I said, its all about what you have confidence in!

Posted by: What

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 01:48 PM

Orange and green or green and orange... optimal contrast with minimal vacuum involvement.
Posted by: Sky-Guy

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 01:49 PM

"vacuum involvement"

Triple rofl
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 03:13 PM

there was a guy here on the washougal this summer... who was slaying the summers on the pw. the baitshop said it rather odd because the water was low and clear. the guy was buying the largest gaudy worms the store sold. this guy had total confidence in something that should have scared the steelhead out of the drift! he put a wack and stack on them low clear summers.

so yes confidence equates out big in this scenario.
Posted by: Wild Chrome

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/21/10 05:42 PM

Pink worms are like anything else you fish for steelhead. Some days, it's the cat's meow, other days it's a dog. When the fish are fresh and the water's steelhead green, it don't matter much what you throw as long as fish are in the run. When the conditions are less than optimal is when it matters. Personally, I like pink worms in cold or dirty water, when you need a bigger profile to get the fishes' attention. I thread the hook 2/3 of the way through the worm and fish them under a float with a few shot. It works very well at times.
Posted by: cobble cruiser

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: OPfisher
It' all confidence.
Native steelhead unmollested will eat about anything 90% of the time. If the water has more color fish the 6"ers if clearer, downsize to 4"s.
One other thing I like is having a different color cheater than the worm body for contrast, but like the first thing I said, its all about what you have confidence in!

What Opie said! I just think if you come into a pool that you are certain has several wild steelhead, (unmolested that day) start out suttle like a small corkie and yarn. After you have caught the shy ones, switch over to the big pinky. I always put a spin n' glow in front of it when the water has some color and weed out the crazy shizo fishies. This way you not only maximize your numbers but hook the biggies as well.

On the other hand if your at the mercy of the drift boat operator and forced to side drift, just go ahead and stick with the 6" pinky especially mid January through April! thumbs
Posted by: Satan

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 03:28 AM

Confidence will catch you steelhead no matter what you are using,that and the ability to read water. My advice to you is if you want to learn a new technique take tackle suited only to that technique so you can't go back to your "go to" tactics.

Getting out of your comfort zone and trying to expand your arsenal will only make you a better fisherman. For example my least favorite technique for steelhead is float and jig fishing,but I forced myself to learn that because there are certain situations where it shines,same with spoons,and my favorite,drift fishing.

I prefer to drift fish pink worms. I kind of fish them on a swing,like you would a spoon,but again water type will dictate how to fish them. Dude the take is the best! Give them another shot.
Posted by: Satan

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser

On the other hand if your at the mercy of the drift boat operator and forced to side drift:

Haha that's funny right there! The only thing worse is when I'm forced to pull plugs sick

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 03:35 AM

[On the other hand if your at the mercy of the drift boat operator and forced to side drift, just go ahead and stick with the 6" pinky especially mid January through April! thumbs

when has that ever sucked for you? wink
okay maybe having to watch greg get that big one, but you hooked a couple right after.... wink
Posted by: BroodBuster

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 07:59 AM

I'm always surprised when anyone lacks confidence in the PW.

[On the other hand if your at the mercy of the drift boat operator and forced to side drift, just go ahead and stick with the 6" pinky especially mid January through April! thumbs

when has that ever sucked for you? wink
okay maybe having to watch greg get that big one, but you hooked a couple right after.... wink

This about sums it up for me. About half of my PW fish come when I'm just leaning against the knee brace bs'ing as my gear is dredging right off the back of the boat. BB, "Damn snaged again." Rower, "No your not!" BB, "Hehe.....Yep that's a fish!"

Then the rower will place you perfectly off that log jam forcing me to actualy make a decent cast. Make enough decent casts and you just might get a biggun!

If there are natives in the river I have two rods rigged with PW's and one with a spoon. Pretty much covers all water and conditions!

Just realize that even if you make a bunch of excellent casts the dead soldiars are still going to fill up the front of the drifter (see Todd's sig line)!
Posted by: CraigO

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Fished them a lot, never did not beleive in them smile
I've found they work in all conditions, high and dirty, low and clear, and all waters between.

As is true with nearly 100% of all other methods used to catch Steelhead, the hardest part is finding the Steelhead.

Just like Ryley I always had confidence in them after I was first showed how to rig them in the early 90's. Pretty sure my first cast with one landed me a fish after the action had slowed on everything else. Then continued to fish them & have had lots of success, I guess lucky. Just like everything else just depends on what they are looking for that day butg make sure you keep them in your arsenal.
Posted by: sykofish

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 09:30 AM

Except in Oregon.

Some how these dumbsh-ts need to wake up. There is actually people down here that think plastic worms need to be kept out of the no bait areas. But yet, they will still use scents in bait restricted areas. I guess thats how you catch those Oregon 20s. rofl

Once you gain confidence in the PW, you will catch fish. Keep trying and when it happens, you will grow to love the PW.
Posted by: seastrike

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 09:56 AM

The last weekend that the Hoh was open in the spring there were I believe nine dudes in camp. Every single guy had a pink worm as the go to lure that day except one. That guy got 6 or 7 fish that day. The rest of us got 1-2.
That said...for sidedrifting I'd prefer the worm.

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 02:31 PM

Thanks for all of your insight everyone. Any advice on which brand to use? I'll pick up a few and give it another shot....... with a little more confidence after hearing these stories

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 03:18 PM

rvrfshr
Call 1(425)281-0571 and ask for "Toff" Ripley, he'll take care of you smile

Re: Pink worm?...to me it's like " snipe " hunting - 10/22/10 03:21 PM

rvrfshr
Call 1(425)281-0571 and ask for "Toff" Ripley, he'll take care of you smile

...or do it the easy way, and go to the Rvrfshr website and order some!

Fish on...

Todd