Catch and Release nets

Posted by: Supertrout

Catch and Release nets - 08/07/12 10:04 PM

I need a new catch and release net for use out of my boat. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas. I will be using it mostly for steelhead, and occasionally for fall salmon. I was curious if it really matters whether it is the fine mesh that has the little holes (I used to have a net like that before it was stolen--- dude probably didn't use it to release any fish.) or if a larger mesh size like on the frabill conservation nets is fine too as long as it is knotless.

Thanks for any info.
Posted by: Daniel

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/07/12 10:09 PM

I have used a conservation series Frabill for several years and have been very happy with it. We have landed ocean quality coho and released them with narry a scale missing. 2c
Posted by: Todd

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/07/12 10:10 PM

I use them both, they both work fine, but I prefer the small mesh to the big mesh on the Frabill...but like I don't mind using either one.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Driftfishnw

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/07/12 10:23 PM

I use the small mesh frabill... Great net!
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/07/12 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Supertrout
I need a new catch and release net for use out of my boat. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas. I will be using it mostly for steelhead, and occasionally for fall salmon. I was curious if it really matters whether it is the fine mesh that has the little holes (I used to have a net like that before it was stolen--- dude probably didn't use it to release any fish.) or if a larger mesh size like on the frabill conservation nets is fine too as long as it is knotless.

Thanks for any info.

This is the one you want.

http://promarnets.com/promar/Products.aspx?Cat=1&Item=131
Posted by: SeaDNA

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/08/12 12:04 AM

I had a frabill with the fine mesh and a large hoop. While it was good for the fish, when I was in high wind conditions, I had a heck of a time getting it out the net holder. Also, it really added a lot of drag if you were trying to net a fish while moving under a little power or were being blown around in the wind (my boat has a large cabin and a lot of windage). I've gone back to a large mesh, knotted net and I just don't net fish until I'm sure it's a keeper and that I'm keeping it.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/08/12 05:16 AM

SeaDNA has a good point. If you fish by yourself, some nets are much easier to use than others......much.
Posted by: oregonarcher

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/08/12 10:33 AM

Frabill makes one. I like it, reduces loss of scale and slime. I like nets as it allows you to getfish to boat quicker so when you release, the fish still has energy to handle the river.
Posted by: gregsalmon

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/08/12 08:31 PM

Why would you EVER net a fish you are going to release?
Posted by: CrailTap

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/08/12 08:54 PM

A lot less damage done to fish then playing them until they're overly tired in order to tail them. Net the fish, keep them in the water, remove hook and send on it's way.

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/08/12 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: CrailTap
A lot less damage done to fish then playing them until they're overly tired in order to tail them. Net the fish, keep them in the water, remove hook and send on it's way.

Only IF you have the right net.

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/09/12 09:07 PM

Just use a release technique similar to the gaff release. No need to tail them, just put the teacup holder on the line and get it down to the bend in the hook. If your left hand is lower than your right hand and the right hand has the release device the hook will come out. Kind of like if you get a hook in your arm past the barb. Do not push the hook thru, put a loop of line around the bend and give a quick jerk.

A gaff works really well for this. Trebles mess the whole deal up.

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/10/12 02:53 AM

I am as strong a proponent of grabbing a heavy leader and employing the de-hooker as you'll ever find...

BUT....

For any fish over say 14-15 pounds (a REAL 14-15 pounds, mind you) a net is a FAR better tool to quickly sequester that Hawg for a quick-release... using the de-hooker to extract the hook, of course.

Re: Catch and Release nets - 08/10/12 10:21 PM

I have released 200 pound halibut using this technique. I have seen guys net ling cod and halibut. You dont even have to touch the fish to use the gaff release. Commercial fishers use this technique all the time while trolling for cohos and having to release kings.