The Sandy takes a life today...

Posted by: neon

The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:12 PM

A little shocking to hear this news today...
My good friend Zach called 911 this afternoon to report that our friend, Joey had been swept into the upper Sandy river. Always sad to hear about friends passing on, but it is part of life. I have had these young guns in my boat for a long time, and I really enjoy their perspective, and enthusiasm. Refreshing personalities, and simply good people to be around. There is now just one less. For this I am sad, and I cant help but want to preach about wading safety. But I wont. You all know how easy it can come, and take your final breath away. Be safe out there.

RIP friend. You will be missed, but remembered...

Posted by: steeliedrew

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:20 PM

oh that's such a bummer man. Sorry to hear. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.
Posted by: RB3

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:23 PM

Sad news. Prayers for the family
Posted by: Magicfly

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:32 PM

Always sad to hear reports like this. My condolences neon.

Mf
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:39 PM

Terrible. I hope when I go I'm wearing waders or doing what I love. Prayers are with him.
Posted by: Todd

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:43 PM

That's about as bad of news as you can get. Thoughts and condolences to his friends and family.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Jerry Garcia

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:46 PM

sad
Posted by: Twitch

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:47 PM

Your buddy Zach just posted what happened over on a thread on Ifish. Sad stuff. Thoughts go out to all those affected.
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: neon
A little shocking to hear this news today...
My good friend Zach called 911 this afternoon to report that our friend, Joey had been swept into the upper Sandy river. Always sad to hear about friends passing on, but it is part of life. I have had these young guns in my boat for a long time, and I really enjoy their perspective, and enthusiasm. Refreshing personalities, and simply good people to be around. There is now just one less. For this I am sad, and I cant help but want to preach about wading safety. But I wont. You all know how easy it can come, and take your final breath away. Be safe out there.

RIP friend. You will be missed, but remembered...

If you can, talk to Zach, the guy that was with him.
Tell him he did the best that he could do.

I've been around this 3 times in my life.
All survived but if they didn't it would have torn me up.
Posted by: Todd

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 09:50 PM

http://www.koinlocal6.com/news/local/sto...qclgoEoyjw.cspx

Search suspended until Tuesday for teen who fell in Sandy River

SANDY RIVER, Ore. -- Emergency personnel responded to a water rescue call in Clackamas County Monday morning.

According to initial information, a teen fisherman fell into the Sandy River near "the old Marmot Dam" -- about 6 miles east of Sandy, Ore.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer tells KOIN that sheriff's crews received the call at 10:04 a.m. Monday. He says the male was fishing with a friend and attempted to cross the river.

That missing teen has now been identified as 18-year-old Joseph Arnold Deseranno from Milwaukie.

"Deseranno and a friend had driven to the location earlier this morning to fish for Steelhead," the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office reports. "Mr. Deseranno attempted to wade across the Sandy River when he slipped and fell into the water. He was wearing hip-waders and a camouflage coat. Mr. Deseranno was not wearing a Personal Flotation Device..."

His friend called 9-1-1 when he could not find Deseranno in the river, the sheriff's office spokesperson said.

Roads in the area were icy Monday as a result of a region-wide cold snap. Icy roads initially made it difficult for rescue crews to get to the spot where the teen was reported to have fallen.

As of noon conditions were still too hazardous to put in kayaks and cloud cover and falling snow prevented air support. However, swimmers, rope teams, rescue teams and rafts were used.

About 20 searchers from the Clackamas County Water Rescue Consortium spent four and a half hours combing the river and its banks, searching at least a mile downstream from where the teen fell. They reported that the Sandy River was clear but "very fast" through this section. Searchers say the water temperature was about 35 degrees Fahrenheit, air temperature was 27 degrees, and river banks were covered in ice.

Monday's search was suspended Monday afternoon "due to safety concerns for the rescue personnel."

The search is expected to resume Tuesday.

Anyone reading this who still wears hip boots and gets into moving water should go out and get some real waders before heading to the river again.

What a tragic story this is.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Dogfish

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 10:06 PM

So sorry for the loss of your friend.
Posted by: Salmo g.

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 10:09 PM

Wow, tragic. Condolences to family and friends.

Hard to figure how that could happen. Panic or shock due to water temperature maybe. Sad.

Sg

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 10:22 PM

wow too young to die at 18. Its hard to think he could still be alive in this cold even if he did make it to shore. Scary way to go. Rip

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Twitch
Your buddy Zach just posted what happened over on a thread on Ifish. Sad stuff. Thoughts go out to all those affected.

Zaq? Was the victim a member of the other board?

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 10:53 PM

Just read the other thread. Awful. I hope they recover him and everyone remembers to be safe on the river.
Posted by: mrsquawslayer

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 11:09 PM

I've witnessed similar things happen and have had a couple close calls before. Very scary and a sad thing to happen to someone so young. Condolences to family and friends.

Stay safe out there.
Posted by: neon

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 11:36 PM

Thanks for the condolences you guys. It means a lot. Both to his family, and close friends. As well as Zach, the young man that had to watch all this happen.
Posted by: sykofish

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 11:43 PM

Your friend and his family are to be remembered.

Be carefull out there everyone.
Posted by: metaladdiction

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/14/13 11:56 PM

Sorry for your loss. He and his family and friends are in our prayers.
Posted by: FleaFlickr02

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:07 AM

Very sorry for your loss. I froze my arse off and got skunked today, but reading this reminded me that every day you get home safe is a great day on the river.
Posted by: Equinox

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:27 AM

Thoughts & prayers to everyone that knew him.
Posted by: FishNg1

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:29 AM

So sorry for your loss, I too had a fishing partner that lost his life in the Wynoochee, so very sad for such a young life.

Steve
Posted by: Kingflounder

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:36 AM

Don't know Joey, don't know Neon, don't know Zach, but I was thinking...

What should people on this great forum do to honor Joey and his family?
How about a day of nice things to say about fishin? How about day after tomorrow, that would be January 16th I think.

By nice things to say, I mean no craop on that day, just thinking about this guy, and what if it had been you or me?

Thanks directdrive for letting us know of the loss of a young fisherman.

King

" My name is Zach and I am the kids friend. His name is Joey! The story is, we were tryin to cross a tail out, when we started to cross it dropped off an water started coming in my waders, I then started to get taken of my feet but I was fortunate, and was able to get to shore, Joey true taking a step back towards the shore, and the current swept him off his feet. I ran down the bank as fast as I could trying to keep an eye on him, but the water was pushing him faster then I could run! He went down 2 sets of rapids. The last spot I saw him was a deep boily hole, I saw my friend get sucked in the boil and never come up! Today has to be one of the worst days of my life, my thoughts and prayers go to his family!"

Posted by: Daniel

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:39 AM

Thoughts and prayers for the ones left behind.
Posted by: JTD

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:46 AM

Very sad to hear. Without knowing the family, I offer my best wishes and condolences for their loss. It is hard to lose anyone, but particularly more so at such a young age.

I tell my family and friends; if this were to happen to me, at least it was at a time of pursuing what I love most.
Posted by: CedarR

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:50 AM

Really sad news. Condolences to family, friends and Zach, his fishing companion. I pray they will be able to find/recover Joey tomorrow.
Posted by: El hefe

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 01:44 AM

Tragic. Condolences go out to his family and friends.
Posted by: RognSue

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 08:35 AM

Thoughts n prayer...very tragic and unfortunate ...
Posted by: Somethingsmellsf

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 08:45 AM

Sad indeed, you will be in our thoughts and hearts.

To the young man that was with him, you sound like a good friend that did everything you could in a very dangerous situation, take some solace that you did what you could and were there til the very end.

Fishy
Posted by: Jason Beezuz

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 10:58 AM

Sad as hell.

Zach, I am sorry you had to say goodbye to your friend like that.

I had a good friend die on the river but I wasn't there at that time and I constantly wonder what it looked like and how it went down but than again actually being a witness has to be a lot tougher.

It is good that you can talk about it Zach and don't be angry. Nobody and I mean nobody is getting out of here alive. It is better to thank God for knowing him than be angry at God for taking him away.
Posted by: Mooch

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:10 PM

It's always hardest for those left behind. My prayers right now are for Joey's family and friends, especially for Zach, in their time of loss. I think all of us that have spent any time on a river know how quickly this sort of thing could happen. Sadly it's a sober reminder to keep our loved ones in mind as we do the things we love. Be safe out there and get back home.
Posted by: AP a.k.a. Kaiser D

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 12:35 PM

Tough read. My thoughts go out to all of those that are especially close to this situation. It happens SO fast.
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 01:18 PM

Really sorry to hear about this.
Posted by: Driftin'

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 01:40 PM

Prayers sent....
Posted by: Coho

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 01:47 PM

Sad--Too young
Posted by: STRIKE ZONE

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 02:03 PM

Very sad.Hang in there Zach.Good luck,
SZ
Posted by: Winterun

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 02:14 PM

Thoughts and Prayers go out to Joe and his family. Also for you Zach, looks as though there are plenty of friends for you to reach out to if needed.

Take Care,
Winterun
Posted by: stonefish

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 03:41 PM

Very sad news. My thoughts are with all the families involved.
Posted by: ParaLeaks

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/15/13 10:18 PM

Thanks for sharing this.
Very sad.
Posted by: Seemefishin

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/16/13 01:21 AM

My thoughts are with all involved family and friends... Sorry for your loss.

RIP! So heart breaking...
Posted by: Idaho Mike

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/16/13 01:39 AM

I am a Catholic Deacon. The remainder of this week I will be doing a Word and Communion service each morning. I will be offering these services for the repose of Joey's soul and for Zach, as well as every one else who is affected by this horrible tragedy.
Posted by: hybridcx

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/16/13 01:22 PM

sorry to hear of the loss. prayers out for family and freinds. it can happen so fast....
Posted by: gooybob

Re: The Sandy takes a life today... - 01/16/13 06:30 PM

It’s incredibly sad, a young dude who had his whole life in front of him. His parents must be devastated. I know I would be. I feel so bad for them and him.