Curado drag

Posted by: banki

Curado drag - 03/19/13 07:32 PM

So have a brand new 201g7 curado and after hooking my first fish with it, the drag pretty much sucked. It was very grabby or sticky, I ended up just loosening the drag and used my good ol' thumb.
Has anybody else experienced this with their new out of the box curado, sure seems like I shouldn't be having to take this reel apart after one trip?
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 07:48 PM

Dom, I have the same reel but right hand. I have used it on almost every outting and have had no problems at all with it.i have had it for about a year and a half now. Doesn't sound like a long time but it definately has the hours on it. Send it my way if you get too frustrated with it wink
Posted by: Phil Maraude

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 08:27 PM

you might as well take that reel and toss it in the garbage

the new curados are TRAAAAASH the drag should be lower on the list of concerns.

i am sorry to say frown
Posted by: fish4brains

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 08:59 PM

if you really don't like it, take it back and exchange it. It's defective.
Posted by: Barkoff

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Phil Maraude
you might as well take that reel and toss it in the garbage

the new curados are TRAAAAASH the drag should be lower on the list of concerns.

i am sorry to say frown

Define new, and what is different about them?

thanx
Posted by: steely slammer

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 10:31 PM

mine did the same thing.. i took it apart and lubed it up and then stuck it in the water and havent had any problems since..
Posted by: jon

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 11:28 PM

I have been there with my Curado. Did you happen to get your reel wet? The Curados or at least the older models will develop a drag problem as you described if water gets on the drag. If thats the case you can either replace the drag or take the reel apart and pull the drag out and let it dry. And remember with Shimano the drag needs to be greased. And that might be your problem. Maybe your drag simply needs to be re greased.
Posted by: Todd

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 11:48 PM

Don't get it wet...it will muck it up!

I realize that not being able to get a steelhead reel wet sounds kinda screwy, but the Curados...new or old...don't work well when wet.

Fish on...

Todd
Posted by: Direct-Drive

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 11:51 PM

Just take the unobtanium drag washers out and replace with Carbontex from SmooothDrag.
Grease with Cal's drag grease or Shimano Drag Grease.

You could probably grease the unobtaniums if you didn't want to monkey with ordering Carbontex.
You would get a better result with Carbontex though.

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

I realize that not being able to get a steelhead reel wet sounds kinda screwy, but the Curados...new or old...don't work well when wet.

Fish on...

Todd

JFC
Here we go.

Here's an old one that works pretty fookin' good.....

It was green and didn't have a happy switch so it took a while to warm up to it.
Bought in in '93 or '94.

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 11:57 PM

the G series is 100% crap
the E series is 50% crap

the reel flexes under the pressure of big fish (less aluminum more graphite and plastic)

less durability due to more graphite and plastic parts throughout the reel

they wanted to make it a mid range reel that would be a good work horse reel but they made it ungodly super 'cheap' as in cost effective for them sacrificing durability and performance. it should have a $100 price tag on it.

in the bass world, stores that put them on sale at $100 have trouble even selling ANY of them

if shimano doesnt present something phenominal at icast this year then a good chunk of their bass supporters are going to leave them for Abu, Diawa, and Lews.

do yourself a favor and replace it with a Lexa... the Lexa owns albacore... a G curado would explode on an albacore.

sadly i follow up on several bass fishing forums specifically for reel talk.

Re: Curado drag - 03/19/13 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd

Fish on...

Todd

was more of an issue with 300 sized curados over 200.
Posted by: bankbum

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 12:27 AM

There is no excuse for new reels from the factory to have sticky or grabby drags. It's unacceptable to spend $150++++ on a reel and that be the outcome. Every shimano spinning reel i have bought over the last 15 years have had flawless drags. Roughly 20 reels, sedona, saharas, stradics and symmetrys.
While every curado and citica, roughly 12 or so, have had garbage drags.
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 12:46 AM

Water never did a drag any favors, regardless of mfr.

Why the hell does anybody willfully dunk their reels?

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: eyeFISH
Water never did a drag any favors, regardless of mfr.

Why the hell does anybody willfully dunk their reels?

Bad brain.
But then some claim the freakin' rain does the dirty deed.

shocked
Posted by: eyeFISH

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 12:52 AM

Best ones EVER made!
Posted by: banki

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 01:17 AM

Well this reel has only seen about 7 hours of fish time, it did get wet from rain but hell I've had my 201bsf for ten abusive years and never had an issue.
I will probably just do order the carbontex washers and replace the stock ones. Thanks for the input.

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 02:15 AM

u know whats funny.........

shimano japan and shimano north america are 2 different qualities within the same reel. as in the japan versions arent cheapened up.
Posted by: Nor Cal Drifter

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 02:48 AM

the E series is 50% crap

Phil if you truly followed the Bass forums for reel talk you would know that the e7 Curados are an all time favorite and still highly sought after. Can't speak to the G series - haven't fished it.
Posted by: DrifterWA

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 10:56 AM

Banki:

I'll trade you.....have 3 or 4 of the Old lefties.....

We live close......CP.....here

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
the E series is 50% crap

Phil if you truly followed the Bass forums for reel talk you would know that the e7 Curados are an all time favorite and still highly sought after. Can't speak to the G series - haven't fished it.

it's mostly just the shimano "sheep" that love the E (vast majority)
granted the E is not bad for bass, it just falls short IMO for salmon/steelhead.

most the bass guys ive talked to (that i feel are truly knowledgeable) prefer the B and D over the E.
the ones that i know that like the E are not using it straight out of the box, they have upgraded several components.

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 04:26 PM

Obviously it's all personal perference, but all I can say is that I LOVE my Curado 200e7 series reels and they have been flawless and taken everything I have thrown at them, from Steelies to 40+ lb 'nooks.
Posted by: Barkoff

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 08:57 PM

This whole thread is a shock to me, I thought the Curado has a stellar reputation. O have a 300 E that is a couple of years old, I plan to use it on ocean salmon this year, I'll let you all know if she blows a gasket.
Posted by: jon

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 10:28 PM

"Why the hell does anybody willfully dunk their reels?"

Eyefish, I guess you haven't reached that magical old age when you begin dropping things.
Posted by: Keta

Re: Curado drag - 03/20/13 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Barkoff
This whole thread is a shock to me, I thought the Curado has a stellar reputation. O have a 300 E that is a couple of years old, I plan to use it on ocean salmon this year, I'll let you all know if she blows a gasket.

I have several Curados and love them for rivers but they never get used in the the salt. IMO their VBS and other parts are way too susceptible to problems from salt corrosion no matter how well you clean them.

Phil Maraude, what parts do those guys upgrade in the E7?

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 12:44 AM

spools, bearings, and drag are the most common. some change gears mostly pinion drive gear to reduce chance of stripping it.

shimano japan i believe gives you most of those upgrades already within the same reel. north america shimano cheapens these up for cost effectiveness.

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 01:15 AM

Very interesting,if I have problems with the E7 I have I'll look into the upgrades. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 02:29 AM

I fish trions, curados and many oldschool abus. I have never had a reel lock up on me. I never let a reel get submerged either.

here's the simple explanation to why steelheaders have reel problems.

these reels are meant to be fished by bass/walleye guys.

there seems to be NOT A REEL DESIGNED FOR STEELHEADERS! steelheaders are forced to use reels not designed for cold wet weather. steelheaders seem to be the ONLY group of fisherman to drop their reel/pole on purpose into the river for a pic.

new reels should not lock up or need any sort of upgrades period. over yearrrrrrrs of use and abuse yea things will wear and need some parts replaced.

I had a reel maintenance contact back east. he told me that he did hundreds of reels for the region bass/walleye guys every winter. he said it was customary to replace the wear tear parts. once the lakes back east freeze over those guys nolonger use the reels so they would just have them serviced. he was shocked to hear about our big heavy rivers out here.

out here guys fish their reels hard all year long on very big fish in very harsh conditions. so reels out here get put through the ringer.

as for why the problems in new reels are occurring, my guess is mass production in hokey foreign countries where the QA may be very poor.

just MHO.
Posted by: Brewer

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 02:45 AM

gotta love Neil's red Tama drums!

Shimanos are made in the mass production zone!
Posted by: Robert Allen3

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 11:11 AM

That's why i went to an old Bantam 100 for my steelhead fishing.. if it gets crusted over with borax all I have to do is dunk it in the river and start fishing. besides i got it for 10 bucks at a garage sale.. any reel you cannot get wet has no place on a steelhead river in my opinion.. maybe that's why all my newer shimanos are in the condition they are in...

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 12:02 PM

Keta -

Don't sweat the upgrades on an e7. They are a great reel right out of the box and really need no upgrade. If the Dartsnium drag eventually wears out, I would replace with the same stock drag, but you could also go with carbontex. Bearing upgrade is really not necessary and there is much debate as to whether or not it even improves performance. Spool upgrades? Never heard of anyone upgrading the spool on an e7. Bottom line, the e7 is a high performance reel without any mods. The only guys doing so are what are called "tuners," they're the guys that tweak their reels for fun just to see how far they can push the envelope of performance. Nothing they do is really necessary - it's just a hobby for them.

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 12:30 PM

Keta -

Don't sweat the upgrades on an e7. They are a great reel right out of the box and really need no upgrade. If the Dartsnium drag eventually wears out, I would replace with the same stock drag, but you could also go with carbontex. Bearing upgrade is really not necessary and there is much debate as to whether or not it even improves performance. Spool upgrades? Never heard of anyone upgrading the spool on an e7. Bottom line, the e7 is a high performance reel without any mods. The only guys doing so are what are called "tuners," they're the guys that tweak their reels for fun just to see how far they can push the envelope of performance. Nothing they do is really necessary - it's just a hobby for them.

I agree with this. ^^^

The G model Curado is really a Citica.
To get the old Curado E features you have to step up to Chronarch.
It's about price point and profit...Shimano may regret this decision.

The Dartanium drag washers are part of the typical Shimano wet drag system.
If allowed to dry out you could have problems.
Use bona fide drag grease and preferably Shimano Star Drag Grease on the Dartanium washers.

Carbontex can be run wet or dry with many users preferring wet.

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 12:50 PM

brewer - lexa 300 sized is made for musky, salmon, and steelhead. guys were using it for swim baits on albacore charter boats and it owned albies no sweat, thats WAY more stress any steelhead and 99% of salmon will do to it.

some people really like their e7 but when i used a buddies new out of the box i was glad at the time i went with an STX instead. 5 pinion shaft gears, 2 bearings, and a whole new button and springs/mechanism later and i trashed the f^cker

i clean, grease, and oil all my reels religiously - after every season (minimum 3 times a year)

my longest lasting lp reel has been a old curado that is now just a king reel for float and eggs. its due for a whole new drag overhaul, but other then that still going strong. aside from that all my diawa's are still going strong, just havent owned them as long.

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 07:50 PM

Keta -

Ya, I'm not going to mess with it unless it breaks. I've had this E7 for a couple of years and it has been worked hard with zero problems.

What is the difference between Dartanium and carbontex?

I've been a bit skeptical of bearing upgrades in these reels. I don't see the point of "better" bearings when you end up tightening the end play and adjusting the VBS to slow them down for over run control. Maybe I'm missing something here. One thing that I see with the spool that I don't really like is the holes that can potentially let water seep into the internal mechanism. I guess that's a trade off for a lighter spool with better casting ability.

One more question, where do you buy the "upgrade" parts like the carbotex drag washers?

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Keta
Keta -

Ya, I'm not going to mess with it unless it breaks. I've had this E7 for a couple of years and it has been worked hard with zero problems.

What is the difference between Dartanium and carbontex?

I've been a bit skeptical of bearing upgrades in these reels. I don't see the point of "better" bearings when you end up tightening the end play and adjusting the VBS to slow them down for over run control. Maybe I'm missing something here. One thing that I see with the spool that I don't really like is the holes that can potentially let water seep into the internal mechanism. I guess that's a trade off for a lighter spool with better casting ability.

One more question, where do you buy the "upgrade" parts like the carbotex drag washers?

Get Carbontex (and drag grease) from SmooothDrag online.
Posted by: GDF

Re: Curado drag - 03/21/13 08:49 PM

Here is a pretty good idea of what they did to the reel and didn't do. The e series still exists just as an Chronarch now. Little strange why they did what did. Anyway kind of a long tech detail read:
http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=444623
For what it's worth I have a G and have no issues.
Posted by: ClearCreek

Re: Curado drag - 03/22/13 10:24 PM

the E series is 50% crap

in the bass world, stores that put them on sale at $100 have trouble even selling ANY of them

Phil:

Would you please post when the stores put the G's on sale for $100?

Thanks,

ClearCreek