Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions

Posted by: Sickpup

Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 04/08/14 12:19 PM

I'm new to drift boats and will need to be buying a set of Oars. I keep reading composite oar that flexes like a wood oar... So why not just row a Wood Oar? Currently rowing a good set of Gulls and have a spare aluminum Oar. I'm I ok or do I really need a set of oars...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Liteforcehunter/Lavro/20130609_152928.jpeg

and

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/Liteforcehunter/Lavro/20130609_152935.jpeg
Posted by: RognSue

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 04/08/14 01:33 PM

Oars have come a long way over the years...but I've seen worse oars than that on the water, just always carry a spare...
Posted by: Hardware

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 04/08/14 01:43 PM

Sickpup, I've ran wood (same set) since '83 and did fine. The main knock on wood is up-keep (varnish or paint every so often). My wood oars finally gave up, so I got a set of Cataract 9' and found they were heavier out to the blades than my old ones. Should have got counter-balanced. Good luck with new boat.
Posted by: fishnbear

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 04/08/14 04:48 PM

nrs.com has some good prices on composit oars, and others
Posted by: eugene1

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 04/08/14 09:41 PM

Run 'em if you got 'em.

They'll be fine for getting used to the sticks.
Posted by: FishinSinsation

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 04/09/14 07:11 PM

Best price I found on cataracts was from Willie boats, and you don't have to own a Willie to buy the oars, way way cheaper that sportco even with shipping
Posted by: Sickpup

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 08/30/15 09:31 AM

I know an old thread but ended up with (3)9.5 Cateracts. Good oars I guess ... dont know much different. Been out on it several times I love the boat.
Posted by: Bantam

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 09/01/15 04:18 PM

You wanna see bad oars? As Rico about his in the slide rite.... Toff? How's that story go?
Posted by: Todd

Re: Drift Boat Newb with Oar questions - 09/01/15 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Bantam
You wanna see bad oars? As Rico about his in the slide rite.... Toff? How's that story go?

Story, or stories?

How much time you got?

Fish on...

Todd